Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
ISP's "internet metering"
    #8526443 -

Its been talked about before, but now Time Warner is doing trial runs.

Charging by the Byte


Quote:
One of them, Time Warner Cable, began a trial of “Internet metering” in one Texas city early this month, asking customers to select a monthly plan and pay surcharges when they exceed their bandwidth limit. The idea is that people who use the network more heavily should pay more, the way they do for water, electricity, or, in many cases, cellphone minutes.





While i doubt this will be implemented by every ISP within the next few years, this is still a cause for concern. Some are suggesting only access to certain sites, some say only a certain amount of bandwidth per month.

Either way this sucks. My mom uses more bandwidth than me, but she has to, she works through a VPN from home. Sure the company will pay for it, but thats still crap, she uses WAY more than 50GB per month. Never mind what my dad uses for his ebay stuff, and his other ventures on the net.

I used to have satelight internet, and they had a cap on bandwidth. And if you went over you payed out the ass. 30GB per month is really really small.

We now have a EVDO card, basically a cell phone, but there is no limit, and its a bit faster than DSL. But for where we live its our best option, unless we pay a few grand for the cable companies to run a line out here.

Anyway this is crap, so much for all the futuristic scfi predictions of people walking around with unlimited access to the web. It would be so awesome to have a mental link to the net, and have it turn into a new dimension/reality basically. Hard to do when you have to pay per bit.

Wonder if someone will come up with a way to have internet w/o using ISP's, kinda like CB or HAM. Regulated for quality, just not a payed service, other than your energy bill.


--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526457 -

I'd like to see the ISPs who are overcharging for this shit throw that money back into the infrastructure.  At least that way you get what you paid for.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526463 -

Yeah, this has been in the works for a few years.  Scary stuff to say the least.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526468 -

ISPs are already in talks to make internet subscription much like television- you pay one flat rate for a package of websites that you can go to and any that are not part of your package you must pay extra for. Search "2012 the end of the internet".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Innominate]
    #8526482 -

I know its been out for a while, i just didnt think it would come out so fast.

Then again, not much stops corporations from a profit margin. :tongue:


--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526487 -

It's not as though they aren't making bank anyways.  Around here, basically for the state there is one major ISP:  Charter.  They pretty much get at least $55/month from EVERYBODY (just about) with broadband.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526492 -

I envy the Japanese.

They pay less for super-fucking-fast fiberoptic internet than you pay in the US for bottom-of-the-barrel DSL.


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: circularvortex]
    #8526505 -

So if they are already making good money, how can they morally ask for more?

Companies have morals? :lol:



I know what your saying, but to make people pay for a service that we have basically built our infrastructure on, thats basically guaranteed income.

Its the same as big pharma only R&Ding for treatments, and not for cures.

May not be right, but it is in their favor.


--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526564 -

We could always try to pass legislation guarunteeing that most of that profit goes back into the infrastructure, but we know how well that worked with the phone companies :shrug:


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Konnrade]
    #8526572 -

Konnrade said:
I envy the Japanese.

They pay less for super-fucking-fast fiberoptic internet than you pay in the US for bottom-of-the-barrel DSL.




Yeah, but I like personal space and mountains too.  I'm ok with it.  :grin:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8526596 -

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Konnrade said:
I envy the Japanese.

They pay less for super-fucking-fast fiberoptic internet than you pay in the US for bottom-of-the-barrel DSL.




Yeah, but I like personal space and mountains too.  I'm ok with it.  :grin:



Japan is made of mountains.


--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Plok]
    #8526598 -

I hear that in Japan they have professional mountain-packers.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Plok]
    #8526666 -

Plok said:
Penguarky Tunguin said:
Konnrade said:
I envy the Japanese.

They pay less for super-fucking-fast fiberoptic internet than you pay in the US for bottom-of-the-barrel DSL.




Yeah, but I like personal space and mountains too.  I'm ok with it.  :grin:



Japan is made of mountains.



Well I like personal space then.  Lots of it.


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #8526742 -

This is not a cause for concern at all. Bandwidth isn't free, and under the current system heavy downloaders are being subsidized by people who only need a couple MB each month to check their e-mail and browse the web. I would gladly pay a fair market price for the bandwidth I use, and if there was a financial incentive I would change my behavior to download less or during off-peak hours. Such a system would be fair to everyone and would eliminate the need for ISPs to throttle and shape certain kinds of traffic (eg. BitTorrent). I look forward to the day when I can pay my ISP by the gig and get fast, unfettered access.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Ythan]
    #8526757 -

Ythan said:
This is not a cause for concern at all. Bandwidth isn't free, and under the current system heavy downloaders are being subsidized by people who only need a couple MB each month to check their e-mail and browse the web. I would gladly pay a fair market price for the bandwidth I use, and if there was a financial incentive I would change my behavior to download less or during off-peak hours. Such a system would be fair to everyone and would eliminate the need for ISPs to throttle and shape certain kinds of traffic (eg. BitTorrent).



That's precisely why instead of criticizing the program, I decided to criticize the acoutability of how the ISPs spend their debits.  You are right though, and now I feel bad for avoiding saying that.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Ferris]
    #8527321 -

I just wanted to add that I think uploads should remain at a flat rate, since otherwise it would remove incentive for people to add to the internet.


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: ISP's "internet metering" [Re: Ferris]
    #8527378 -

this is capitalism at work, gentlemen. my house gets comcast cable, and if you're using too much bandwidth, the internet crashes. it makes no sense to me to pay a principle each month, then more based on how much internet you use? bullshit.


--------------------
life rolls on

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* who is your ISP? gofudgeyourself 485 10 10/20/08 06:58 PM
by zSDMF
* How Fast Is Your Internet Connection? A Test.
( 1 2 3 all )
Snaggletooth 5,324 55 03/19/06 08:49 AM
by niteowl
* Crackdown deal on internet piracy beneath 1,065 13 07/24/08 05:22 PM
by razmablues
* Battle for 'Net neutrality' arrives in Canada and could forever alter Internet Psilocybeingzz 1,255 2 11/02/06 08:40 AM
by Psilocybeingzz
* You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when...
( 1 2 3 4 all )
trendalM 6,614 75 07/14/05 10:57 AM
by MAIA
* who pays for internet? hazey 1,553 18 02/28/08 12:29 PM
by Boomer Mang
* Direct TV satellite internet? Anyone have it? rawtoxic 1,065 11 12/11/06 04:59 PM
by chickenmaster
* Cable Users, HDTV Bandwidth - OMG! WTF?! TM 805 7 04/27/06 02:31 PM
by TM

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
813 topic views. 9 members, 329 guests and 96 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.