Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Think sterile all the time - Safety Guidelines
    #843341 - 08/26/02 01:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The following extracts are taken from the ?MICROBIOLOGY FACTSHEETS FOR SCHOOLS ? SAFETY GUIDELINES?, which are ?notes of an updated version of the section on microbiology and biotechnology in Safety in Science Education (DfEE, 1996) produced as a result of a safety conference of experts (including MISAC representatives) convened by the ASE in 1997. They form Chapter 15 of Topics in Safety (3rd Edition, ASE, 2001)? - For the record the site is : http://www.biosci.org.uk/misac

After reading those notes, I realised that some parts may be of some need amongst us. Apart from that, I would like to show to all of us new in the cultivation of shrooms that SAFETY must always be OUR #1 PRIORITY. I have read many posts that seem to pay little respect to the subject. THINKING STERILE is not a luxury or optional, is a MUST. Unfortunately the file I read includes more useless data than useful to mushroom cultivation, for it covers a great number of occupations that can be done as school experiments. Don?t forget that those guidelines apply to schools, so as to ensure safety for both teachers and students.

So I extracted what appear interesting and apply also to us:

?Before beginning practical work, hands should be washed with soap and warm water, and all should be washed again after the activities are finished. There must be no hand-to-mouth operations such as chewing, sucking, licking labels or mouth pipetting.?

?Bench surfaces should be wiped down with a cloth soaked in a suitable dissinfectant, preferable before, but always after practical work and sufficient time allowed for dissinfection to occur.?

?All cultures must be heated to kill micro-organisms before disposal. This is best done using a pressure cooker or autoclave, in conjunction with autoclavable bags. The caps of all screw-topped bottles must be loosened before cultures and media are sterilized. ? Heated autoclaves or pressure cookers with Bunsen burners is not recommended. Rapid cooling and the release of steam to lower the internal pressure quickly to atmospheric pressure is dangerous because it may shatter glassware and/or cause liquid media to boil over. Equipment should be allowed to cool unaided before opening.?

?Chlorate(I) solution is inactivated by large amounts of organic matter, although if a culture might contain viruses this is often the preferred disinfectant.?

?Microwave ovens are not suitable for sterilisation of most items, though they are sometimes used for liquefying prepared agar media. Beware of explosions which have occurred when solid medium has blocked the opening of a container.?

?Incineration is an acceptable alternative to autoclaving in some purposes. (Note however, that polystyrene Petri dishes will generate harmful fumes when incinerated; a purpose-built incinerator with a tall flue should be used).?

?Clean glass equipment can be sterilised by dry heat in an oven (165 C for at least 2 hours) or, in the case of wire loops, by heating to red heat in a Bunses burner flame.?

?A significant risk associated with work in microbiology or biotechnology is the generation of microbial aerosols, where fine droplets of water containing cells and/or spores of microbes are released into the air. Aerosols can be formed whenever liquid surfaces are broken or material is crushed or ground. The particles are so small that they are easily carried by air currents and can be inhaled into the lungs.?

HOPE IT WILL BE OF HELP

THINK STERILE ALL THE TIME

Kykeon
Athens, Greece

ps: should have i posted this on the contam forum? not quite sure but the guidelines are referring to the way we treat the teks. hm...

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Edited by kykeon (08/26/02 01:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: kykeon]
    #843354 - 08/26/02 02:01 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Macey Howard]
    #843362 - 08/26/02 02:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Think sterile all the time - Safety Guidelines [Re: kykeon]
    #845055 - 08/26/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'd like to add this.

Make sure to clean under your fingernails.
The nasty stuff that gets under your nails is a breeding ground for contams.

Especially after finger banging the little ho down the street!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: Think sterile all the time - Safety Guidelines [Re: Roadkill]
    #845964 - 08/27/02 04:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

true. i have the stupid habbit of eating my nails, so that is not a prob for me lol

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale