Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblefishersfinest

Aldous Huxley on Mescaline
    #6983015 - 05/29/07 05:20 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I recently read Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell. I have to say these books offered a great deal of help in the deciphering of my psychadelic experiences. Half the book is highlighted with comments I swear I thought first!

The two essays are short and can easily be read in one sitting. The book is amazing in the way it argues how all that is of the other world influences so much of everything we prize in the here and now. If you haven't read these essays I would definately say they are a crucial read. I found the book at Barnes and Noble but here is a link for a pdf online.

http://www.rosenoire.org/archives/Huxley,_Aldous_-_The_Doors_of_Perception.pdf

Couldnt find a pdf of Heaven and Hell, I'll look more I guess. Shout out if you know one. Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackegg
...has left the building.
Male User Gallery

Re: Aldous Huxley on Mescaline [Re: fishersfinest]
    #6985207 - 05/30/07 12:16 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, although I haven't read his books in years, I remember thinking there was a certain elegance and wisdom there.

He wrote back when it wasn't academic suicide to talk about psychedelics in a positive light, when this 'new' kind of drug offered Western Culture so many novel glimpses into our personas and subconscious. This was obviously before the Dark Ages we're living in now. It's a shame that so much of the cues we need to navigate in todays society are buried in the past. Still, I guess the world IS different now and we've learned a few things since then. But really, who is the new 'beat generation'? The new Leary or R.A.W.? Is there any current author or proponent of Psychedelics that even compares to Aldous Huxley?

Huxley had class.
BTW
Ever read 'Island'?

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

Invisiblefishersfinest

Re: Aldous Huxley on Mescaline [Re: blackegg]
    #6987845 - 05/30/07 04:08 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thats what I thought was cool, these essays were written way ahead of their time. And Huxley does have class. Its hard to be so effective when you are that civilized.

No, unfortunately I havent read 'Island.' Aside from these essays I have only read 'Brave New World.' I always like to have a book that Im reading but right now Im just kind of reading essays and such, I haven't read a novel in a while so I'll check it out. Why do you ask, is it relevant to the essays?

Offlinesoundtrance
di actyl more fien
Male User Gallery

Loc: ocala, FL
    #7987547 - 02/06/08 04:35 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

does anybody know what the dose of mescaline was that huxley took his first time that he writes about in first half of the doors of perception?

--------------------
"Our parents found themselves, we are finding each other"

:bigweed::mushroomgrow::cubie::mushroomgrow::flyhigh::lsdabc::tee:

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
    #7990949 - 02/07/08 09:52 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

See also the Huxley book "Moksha" which collects together all his other writings on the psychedelic experience.

Also Alan Watts book "The Joyous Cosmology" is an even better variation of defining/accounting altered states - Watts nails the description of tripping even better than Huxley in my opinion.

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder