Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!!
    #767466 - 07/22/02 01:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just wanted to let everyone out there in shroom land know that the mushies can be found...you just need to be relentless.

Every time I leave the house, I take with me some simple yet important tools.

1) Paper lunch bags
2) Knowledge
3) Persistance
4) Memory
5) Persistance

Even though we have not had a drop of rain in a few weeks, today I found about 20 wet pounds of active paneaolus mushrooms. It was a sweltering 36 degrees celsius, and I was riding my bike...with a front pouch and two paper bags...unfortunately I could only take about 7 pounds home with me...it was truly amazing.

The subbs I found today can only be described as large and twisted, many of them much bigger than I have ever bagged before. I probably lost about 7 lbs in sweat just picking these.

A little about the location. About a week and a half ago as I was walking to the bus after work I noticed a few streets worth of newly laid sod, they were too new at the time, and needed a lot of water...but I kept this spot in mind for the near future. Well today on my way to work, I decided to drop by and see if some kind soul had watered these lawns...and what did I find but some nice lush grass, with hundreds and hundreds of caps poking through the grass...I was shocked, the heat has been intense and I only expected to find a few scattered small ones here and there but...I was mistaken.

My persistance has paid off...once again.

Subbs grow all over North America...and there is no reason, if they grow in your area why you should not be able to find them...just follow my advice, look for newly laid well irrigated sod...or well fertalized and irrigated lawns...(not usually as much of a jackpot, but still worth it) and ye shall find.

I am in the process of taking a lot of pictures...will post them as soon as I get the photo cds back....they are truly magnificant.

Thanks for listening..cheers and happy shroomin.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
Re: Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!! [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #767557 - 07/22/02 02:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

it was a hot one today in Ont. spend some time at assriverinmypants.-good post!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!! [Re: shaggymane]
    #768150 - 07/22/02 05:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hehe..assriverinmypants is an understatement...I could not let the heat stand in the way of my bagging those mushrooms though...certain things are more important.

Cheeers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

#768538 - 07/22/02 07:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!! [Re: ]
    #768715 - 07/22/02 08:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

New office buildings in business or industrial parks are also good places to look...further down the road from this patch I ran into another patch at such a building...was too hot and had no more room for mushies...I made a mental note of it though, and when I get a chance...I will be back.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    #769659 - 07/23/02 07:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow!

In this subdivsion near by they laid a bunch of cow sheep manure all along the sidewalk which they will plant grass in. Im wondering if mushrooms can grow in this? It looks like the store boughten type of manure.

Has the humidity been high around you? Its only been in the 50's around here lately

OfflineNewHunter
help
Loc: Washington
Re: Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!! [Re: NiGGy]
    #769666 - 07/23/02 07:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so the subbs are back again st thomas, i havnt even looked for anything really for like the past to weeks except i occasionlly drive through a fe wspots to see if any stuntzii or beaos are up but it has been so dry and the lawns getting watered still havnt produced any yet. I wil go take a look today and see what i see! congrats on teh find!

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

OfflineZombie_Eater
Stranger
Loc: South Louisiana
    #769779 - 07/23/02 09:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Next time you should dip a bath towel into some ice water and bring it with you. When you get so hot you feel like your sweating your organs through your skin, drape that cold bastard over your head or around your neck. Makes walking in 90 degrees plus a LOT more comfortable.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunters seek and ye shall find!!! [Re: Zombie_Eater]
    #770671 - 07/23/02 03:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hehe...good advice about the towel...next time perhaps, yup the subbs are at it again...went by again after work, mostly picked the extremely large specimens..left the babies to grow...finally got some rain last night...even better, can't wait to check my other paches...these pictures are gonna be cool...will kepp yall posted.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #778640 - 07/26/02 04:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Damn we just got dumped on...rain rain rain...guess the subbs will be up all over shortly...gonna try to find me some wood lovers to if this keeps up...cheers to the rain.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification