Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
This whole Randy Couture mess
    #7585413 - 11/01/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

So, I've definitely thought there was some unfair compensation going on from the UFC for most of the fighters, especially concerning health care.

When Randy came out and resigned, I was sure he was in the right. I did find it suspicious though how he kept insisting, over and over, "that it was never about the money" although nearly every example he gave of them not showing respect was financial. Still, I was certain it would be revealed that the UFC really was screwing him.

Now, after Dana and Lorenzo's press conference, I'm a little shocked. Those check were pretty compelling evidence and it seems that Randy either didn't understand his compensation or more likely, he's misrepresented the situation.

There was an article I read the other day, maybe from Yahoo sports, about it basically saying he's just ahead of the curve. The money these guys are going to be making in 10 years will dwarf that of today. He's expecting that compensation should be accelerated and it probably should. The UFC is definitely making bank right now, though I don't know what all of their expenses are. However, for good or bad, while a new industry is in it's infancy, huge profit margins are the norm. It may not be fair, but that's the truth.

Anyway, I'm just trying to decide exactly how I feel on the subject. Randy may have some ulterior motive but I feel a little disappointed now that more information has come out and I'm not sure (like I was) that he was in the right.

Thoughts?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrSinister
Uncle T
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outworld
Re: This whole Randy Couture mess [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #7585566 - 11/01/07 08:49 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ok my honest thoughts are this seems like another A-Rod situation. An agent pumped his client's head up, and in turn i think Randy made a few false claims against the UFC.

He made it seem like they were cheating him, and not supporting him. But from the sounds of it he was making great money and getting more chances for big fights then some of the other fighters... I did kind of wonder how he could come out of retirement and get a automatic title shot. Dana White is an asshole, but in this case he, and the UFC seem like they treated Randy like one of the top stars of the sport.

Also he wants to be free to seek a fight with Fedor. Most everybody knows it, and i think he went about it wrongly... The UFC had the balls to step up, and show all the numbers, and facts.. Randy needs to step up, and dispute it by showing us different.. Nuff said.

--------------------

"They look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits 'em. I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

"Eric Stratton.. Rush chairman.. Damn glad to meet you.."

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #7585737 - 11/01/07 09:38 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

If you've been following the sport long enough, you know not to believe whatever Dana White says.

The situation with Randy is not new to the problems faced with the UFC. This type of dilemma has occured numerous times in the past.

Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Tito Ortiz, Murilo Bustamante, Frank Shamrock, just to name a few.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: This whole Randy Couture mess [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #7585833 - 11/01/07 10:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not disputing that at all. I don't think that they are fair with most of their fighters nor am I saying that Randy doesn't deserve whatever he thinks he can get. That's the way it should be, whatever the market will bear.

But to agree to a contract, he knew exactly what he was getting into (especially at his level). Then to renege?

Those checks show that Randy received 2 $250,000 checks as a signing bonus, despite claiming over and over that he didn't. I would find very difficult to believe that even Dana would have the audacity to forge checks.

After I thought it about it more, the only thing that makes sense to me is that Randy was offered more money somewhere else, so he's now trying to create a situation to get out of his contract in the shortest time frame possible. He couldn't fight again in the UFC and jeopordize losing or he probably couldn't get the money he can now. I also think he has a sincere desire to fight Fedor and it's definite motivation as well. If it is discovered though that someone has offered him money or that he discussed it with them, he and that organization are going to be in a shit storm of trouble.

I understand his motivations, but if this is what is going on, I just find it disappointing that he's willing to resort to these tactics.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #7585893 - 11/01/07 10:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I think, it goes back to him saying it's not entirely ABOUT the money.

The one major issue that Dana, and Douchebag Fertita are trying to avoid, is their failure to sign Fedor.

I look at it in Randy's perspective. He initially came out of retirement when he realized the UFC was slowly signing the best competition at heavyweight. He was excited to come and fight against Cro-Cop, and whatever else big possibilities were out there.

But when the UFC failed to sign the ONE GUY, that every fighter in the world regards as THE BEST, the entire intent of Randy coming out of retirement pretty much went down the toilet.

Randy's old. He doesn't have that much time left. ANd while he's still physically capable, he wants to test himself against the best, instead of wasting time in a division that can't even sign the obvious #1 free agent in the world.

In my mind, all these complications with contract disputes and finance is a distraction from the real issue, which is Randy's desire to fight the best.

In the end, i've learned to never side with Dana, or whatever he claims to the public.

There were always issues with money, but really, Randy's just providing more reason as to his resignation. But the situation with Fedor is what makes the most sense to me.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

Re: This whole Randy Couture mess [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #7586032 - 11/01/07 11:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
I think, it goes back to him saying it's not entirely ABOUT the money.

The one major issue that Dana, and Douchebag Fertita are trying to avoid, is their failure to sign Fedor.

I look at it in Randy's perspective. He initially came out of retirement when he realized the UFC was slowly signing the best competition at heavyweight. He was excited to come and fight against Cro-Cop, and whatever else big possibilities were out there.

But when the UFC failed to sign the ONE GUY, that every fighter in the world regards as THE BEST, the entire intent of Randy coming out of retirement pretty much went down the toilet.

Randy's old. He doesn't have that much time left. ANd while he's still physically capable, he wants to test himself against the best, instead of wasting time in a division that can't even sign the obvious #1 free agent in the world.

I was just arguing this same point on the phone with somebody a couple minutes ago. This is the way I see it as well. You're right, Randy is old and he does not have very much time left. He wants to fight the best. This is all speculation on my part but he probably went to Dana and Dana being the greedy pimp that he is (knowing damn well that Randy will make the UFC millions of dollars because the fans love him) would not allow him to go over and fight Fedor in M1. That would make sense why Randy would come out and make the statements he did. I don't agree with it due to his contract that he should honor but I completely understand why he did it. He probably felt backed into a corner.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale