Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Upgrading my processor
    #7174410 -

I have a shuttle ST61G4 and it's been extremely well to me over the years. I'm about to toss in a new processor taking it from 2.5 to 3.0 ghz.

What I want to know is, since the shuttle came with the mobo and it's special processor heat sink...I should be able to just to swap them out with no problem.

I've been waiting forever to upgrade. Last time I looked it was going for 160, now its going for about a hundred less.

What do you think?


--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: Chazzersize]
    #7174464 -

That's one of those little square deals?

I'd be worried about heat more than anything, when increasing processor speed. The old heat sink and fan may not be powerful enough.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: trendal]
    #7174480 -

Could you post what processor it is currently running and what you will be putting in there? You could find the manufacturers thermal rating on them for comparison. Even if it is more heat as long as it's not too much you could probably leave the same heatsink on and just replace it with a better fan and that could be sufficient although it may be louder unless you can fit a bigger fan in there. I've never seen a shuttle in person, but I'd imagine it's a pretty tight fit in there as is.

edit: also see if you can check in the cmos and it should beable to tell you the current temperature of the cpu in there, let us know that as well if possible. If you don't know how to get in the cmos it should prompt you to press a key (del, F1, etc..) right after you turn it on.

Edited by krypto2000 (07/14/07 01:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: krypto2000]
    #7174555 -

I'm jumping from 2.5 to 3.0.

I'll check the temps in a few when I have a chance to reboot. I'm honestly thinking that I can just swap them out since when I bought the shuttle, I just tossed a processor I currently had in there.

I just think im over complicating it. Thanks for the help guys!


--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: Chazzersize]
    #7184300 -

yeah juss try upgrading the fan, heatsink should be fine


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: Chazzersize]
    #7205939 -

how much ram do you have in it?


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Upgrading my processor [Re: wilshire]
    #7206334 -

Just a gig. I think honestly, it would be more advantageous for me to just build from the ground up instead of trying to keep this old timer on life support.

This thing doesnt even have SATA or Pci-Express.


--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* help with upgrading my dell optiplex gx 280 Dunno 2,123 18 10/20/10 04:14 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Upgrading my gaming PC cooling (Built ~Dec 28th)
( 1 2 all )
5HTSynaptrip 3,095 39 07/22/11 06:03 PM
by love2shpongleIRL
* Looking to Upgrade Computer, What to get First?
( 1 2 all )
Shrewmz 2,136 31 06/19/11 12:01 PM
by whiteelephant
* New CPU heatsink??? Ungawdly 1,078 16 02/08/09 12:59 PM
by Seuss
* Processor upgrade Tattoo 792 7 04/07/06 01:46 PM
by supra
* Just upgraded my cpu, no performance increase... Need some help please:)
( 1 2 all )
zootroid 2,219 29 08/18/10 07:18 AM
by johnm214
* new computer or upgrade old? makaveli8x8 1,245 17 10/09/08 09:34 PM
by supra
* Upgrade an older computers Ram? KrazieH8er 1,301 8 07/09/04 03:34 PM
by Redo

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
890 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.