Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Security and Safety

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calea Zacatechichi, HPS

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy
    #7021086 - 06/07/07 11:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i dont know if this is real or not, but it sure sounds fuckin scary.
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8758/Tomorrow+the+FBI+will+be+able+to+wiretap+all+inter%20%20net+users

Today is the official deadline for compliance with the FCC's new interpretation of the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act(CALEA).

Cable modem companies, DSL providers, broadband over powerline, satellite internet companies and even some universities all have until the end of today to ensure "...the ability of law enforcement agencies to conduct electronic surveillance by requiring that telecommunications carriers and manufacturers of telecommunications equipment modify and design their equipment, facilities, and services to ensure that they have the necessary surveillance capabilities."

The Justice Department began lobbying the FCC in 2002 to reinterpret the law as applying to the internet as well and last June a divided federal appeals court upheld the expansion 2-1.

Basically, this means that starting today the FBI will have the ability to wiretap your internet connection, and means that "Common carriers, facilities-based broadband Internet access providers, and providers of interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service..." must all now have incorporated into their networks the ability for law enforcement agencies to snoop on those for which they have a court ordered warrant.

It's been pointed out however, that even though it may not necessarily be easier to get a warrant and eavesdrop on somebody, the temptation to do so and avoid real gumshoe detective work will be high. Instead of having to really investigate what a person is up to, they may choose to just try and take a look at what they're doing instead.

Also, what will eventually happen I think is that the RIAA and the MPAA will try to petition courts to snoop on suspected file-sharers and gather intelligence and incriminating information with which to build a case against them.

I mean look how they were able to get so many congressman on board with the whole crackdown on colleges and universities, invoking phrases like "file-trafficking" and warning against job layoffs and unemployment due to losses from piracy. I mean if a law is being broken who's to say which ones they will or will not enforce? I think its only a matter of time.

No longer will ISPs be able to claim that it just doesn't have the means to assist copyright holders in determining who has been uploading content illegally, for now they will be able to monitor an IP address and all the traffic that it's responsible for on the network.

It also means that the govt will now have the ability to monitor for other illegal activity, like buying prescription drugs from Canada, browsing and purchasing drug paraphanalia like bongs, pipes, etc., or perhaps even forums or chatrooms of leftist or other radical organizations.

After today the internet will forever be under the watchful eye of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and you can rest assured that corporations and other private entities will do in everything in their power to use this resource for their own ends.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezone0ut
Explorer
Male

Loc: everywhere/no where
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #7021112 - 06/08/07 12:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i think thats old - wasn't the deadline may 16? either way - you never had privacy.

--------------------
Hypothesis: There is no logic behind politics.
Proof: All the intelligent people are educating others.

Invisiblep14y80y
 User Gallery

Loc: New York
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: zone0ut]
    #7021193 - 06/08/07 12:25 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Theres so much that happens every single min. all over the world, how and hell would they be able to catch people with piracy or talking about a drug deal through an instant messanger, or even shroomery for people growing? I think alot of things are far fetched and they put that red caution tape up.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
    #7022670 - 06/08/07 02:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This means that law enforcement has the ability- in a technical sense- to monitor your Internet usage. Not that they will without a warrant. Stay cool and keep a low profile, and nobody will care what you are doing.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlinezone0ut
Explorer
Male

Loc: everywhere/no where
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: Dr_T]
    #7022799 - 06/08/07 03:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah - CALEA basically says every isp, phone company...any telecommunications thing has to have devices in place that would allow for easy tapping if the gov or any authority figure wants.

the problem with this is no one knows what these devices are yet, if they're hackable, or how they even work. I deffinately believe theyre there. This act is on government websites. its not a fake, unfortunately.

--------------------
Hypothesis: There is no logic behind politics.
Proof: All the intelligent people are educating others.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: zone0ut]
    #7023212 - 06/08/07 05:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Right, it's basically the same as the current situation with the phone lines. If you aren't being stupid, there's nothing to worry about. I know people that try to talk in code on the phone- gimme a break. If anybody is tapping your line, you are already busted and don't know it yet.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlinejoekenorer
The Joekenorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pensacola, FL.
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: Dr_T]
    #7023531 - 06/08/07 07:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OMFG, what will we do? lmao. Its just like the Y2K scare. What would we do without internet privacy, or computers alltogether for that matter? I'll tell you. We'll do everything just like we did in the 80's. That simple. Pick up a pen and paper, talk face to face, or make a phone call. The latter goes especially for here in the south, where telephone voice recognition is almost useless against the immensely variable southern dialect and slur.

--------------------
My favorites are weeping willows, which aren't really weeping at all. They're very wispy, witty and will dance in the breeze with you. Nothing like a tree that wants to dance with you. Although it doesn't like its thin limbs being pulled at all, it absolutely LOVES it when you walk through them, letting them gently slide over your face and shoulders. If you're naked, the willow considers it to be sex. It will orgasm on your mind and you will blow dream chunks into outer space. All very fun until your neighbor sees you.                                    -The Joekenorer

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: joekenorer]
    #7025291 - 06/09/07 04:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

> I know people that try to talk in code on the phone- gimme a break.

Yeah, it's always smarter to just openly talk about your dealings so that the cops will have no problem busting you. I mean, why make it hard on the cops. Plus, it's really great when they play that audio tape to the jury where you're openly talking about drug deals.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: fastfred]
    #7026522 - 06/09/07 02:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
> I know people that try to talk in code on the phone- gimme a break.

Yeah, it's always smarter to just openly talk about your dealings so that the cops will have no problem busting you. I mean, why make it hard on the cops. Plus, it's really great when they play that audio tape to the jury where you're openly talking about drug deals.

Right. I think

"Theres so much that happens every single min. all over the world, how and hell would they be able to catch people with piracy or talking about a drug deal through an instant messanger, or even shroomery for people growing? I think alot of things are far fetched and they put that red caution tape up."

brings up a good point. I'm not one to normally type in "SWIM-talk", but there are only 2 realistic ways that you'll be singled out in this system. Either they've already got it out for you, or you'll be rounded up by an automated scanning system, which again is nothing new. The real question is how much you care to stand out in front of the millions of other law breakers in the country.

Using words like "bomb, destination, assassination, [politition's name]" would be one great way of jumping to the top of a list. A less effective way might be to regularly use standard drug dealer vocabulary. Throwing in the word "kilo" now and then would be sure to provide a nice little boost as well. :P

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlineconfusion
ProfessionalNovice
Male User Gallery

Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #7028106 - 06/10/07 12:17 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sucks, but what can you do. At least it is only with a warrant, but we all know that they've monitored this stuff for much longer than that.

OfflineSheerTerror
ST
Male

#7028698 - 06/10/07 03:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #7032564 - 06/11/07 07:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Koala Koolio said:

Using words like "bomb, destination, assassination, [politition's name]" would be one great way of jumping to the top of a list. A less effective way might be to regularly use standard drug dealer vocabulary. Throwing in the word "kilo" now and then would be sure to provide a nice little boost as well. :P

Alternatively you could overload it. They use (at least on Echelon so I'd expect this to be the same) automated systems to scan for & log the occurrence of certain words, so what you could do is just include certain of these words on every phone call/e-mail/instant message/pm & encourage everyone you know to do likewise. Get enough folk doing it & you'll basically be spamming their listening software & the chances of the software being able to correctly & easily identify someone to be busted/investigated will decline - and we could expect so would the level of trust in & willingness to use the system. As far as I'm aware there is nothing illegal about routinely saying any words on the phone or through any interet communication, even if the intention is to confuse/inconvenience government organisations listening in.

Edited by BlueDruid (06/11/07 07:48 AM)

Offlineconfusion
ProfessionalNovice
Male User Gallery

Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: BlueDruid]
    #7033330 - 06/11/07 02:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Are you suggesting using freedom of speech? What an antiquated and outdated approach to solving a problem. You should be well aware that your freedom of speech is quite limited.;)

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: confusion]
    #7036775 - 06/12/07 07:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Shit, wish I'd read that last post before I shouted FIRE in that crowded theatre last night.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: CALEA act. say goodbye to internet privacy [Re: BlueDruid]
    #7039653 - 06/12/07 11:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If you aren't being stupid, there's nothing to worry about. I know people that try to talk in code on the phone- gimme a break. If anybody is tapping your line, you are already busted and don't know it yet.

There we go! Amazingly good advice from Dr_T! If you've ever been wrapped up in any intricate, RICO shit, you know that this kind of "holy crap, can they do that?" stuff is limited by necessity to those agencies with immense money, manpower, and time.

Which means that if you keep your nose clean, you'll be without problem. Worry about your neighborhood cop pulling you over, or smelling something suspicious, or noticing your HPS bulbs blinking on at 4am. You aren't going to be hit from the Internet. If you were, you wouldn't be taking legal advice from yokels like myself online, you'd have a lawyer with a hefty retainer.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calea Zacatechichi, HPS

Community >> Security and Safety