Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
column culture
    #691215 - 06/20/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'm interested in trying Column Culture, as Stamets calls it, on P. Cubensis. Does anyone know where I can find information that deals specifically with column culture and growing P. Cubensis on it? Better yet, anyone tried it for themselves?

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
Re: column culture [Re: C12H17N204P]
    #691790 - 06/21/02 03:49 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Cubensis grows on horizontal surfaces in nature (cow pies). Oysters grow on trees,which makes column culture more similar to their natural orientation.

But like they say-try it and report back!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: column culture [Re: aural]
    #692200 - 06/21/02 08:28 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

cubensis forms readily on the vertical sides of pf cakes, so I see little validity in the natural environment argument. In fact in nature, cubensis forms from cowpies regardless of the shape or orientation of the cow pie. I've regularly seen cubes growing from all angles of a cow pie, even from the bottom.

As for more info, seems unlikely you'll find any specific to cubes, I've never been able to find any. I see no reason why cube specific info would be needed. Just grow cubes in columns like you would oysters. In effect, all you are growing is large cakes of straw.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinekillerjay
idiot savant
Loc: Wisconsin
    #692359 - 06/21/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey what kind of mushroom is that in your avatar?
I have a bunch of mushrooms like that growing in my composted horse shit pile, but they have pure white stems and don't blue at all when bruised.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: column culture [Re: mycofile]
    #692360 - 06/21/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with the environment arguement, however you are welcome to try.
A standard straw/compost/manure substrate should be fine so long as it does not excessively compress. Give it a shot on a small scale and evaluate the results.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Re: column culture [Re: killerjay]
    #692618 - 06/21/02 12:28 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Hey what kind of mushroom is that in your avatar?
I have a bunch of mushrooms like that growing in my composted horse shit pile, but they have pure white stems and don't blue at all when bruised.

Liberty Caps! LOL, I hope thats what you've got growing! Send me some!!

--------------------
I hear what I see
And see what I hear

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Re: column culture [Re: DinoMyc]
    #692621 - 06/21/02 12:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

I agree with the environment arguement, however you are welcome to try.
A standard straw/compost/manure substrate should be fine so long as it does not excessively compress. Give it a shot on a small scale and evaluate the results.

Looks like its time to dust off GGMM and take a look. I'll see what happens. I think column culivating cubensis would be some cool shit. It allow you to you vertical spaces, which save space and allow for better cladestine setup.

--------------------
I hear what I see
And see what I hear

The Green Pages

Offlinekillerjay
idiot savant
    #693344 - 06/21/02 08:34 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Do those grow in Wisconsin? Wouldn't they bruise blue or some kind of darker color when picked?

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Re: column culture [Re: killerjay]
    #693356 - 06/21/02 08:43 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I do know that all psilocybe species do not stain blue, but most do. Read up in the F&Q, and it says that semilanceata has a purple-brown spore print, so collect one and take a spore print and see how it turns out.

--------------------
I hear what I see
And see what I hear

The Green Pages

OfflineDinoMyc
    #693541 - 06/22/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know about more clandestine.. column would be effective only in a larger container (such as a room, as many do) than most people use..
Do try it out, thats what its all about: finding something new, and trying it out to see if its any better than before..

--------------------

Offlinekillerjay
idiot savant
    #693708 - 06/22/02 06:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I think it is black or very dark brown, but I will take one on the next one that grows to be sure. Since we just got four inches of rain it won't be long.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#693813 - 06/22/02 08:15 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think orientation matters in the slightest. In fact, if set up properly, an altered orientation can help reduce CO2 on the cropping surface;

Here's an example, the yield was pretty shitty, but it was fascinating to watch it do its thing: It was put in this thing upside down after the casing had begun to colonize. . .pinned like crazy, and actually the fruits did NOT start to turn upward until the veils broke. Absolutely NO fanning or care whatsoever, I wanted to see if the CO2 would literally 'fall' off the surface by itself.

Theory--there is a gravitropic response, but only after sporulating tissue experiences a drop in CO2. Anyway, a column setup would be cool. . .two issues I can think of are a) keeping conditions within 'the range' all along the height of the column. Depending on how high it is, of course. and b) how the column is held together while still giving enough primordia emergence points [punctures in plastic?]

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Re: column culture [Re: Suntzu]
    #694353 - 06/22/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thats one of the most backwards pictures i've ever seen! But its so cool! I love that.
Anyhow, yeah Suntzu, you're right, keeping conditions even throughout may be tough. I guess it would probably require some sort of terranium to do this.
The way I see it though, is that column culture allows maximum pinning area for
the substrate. I wonder if yields would not be humongous. I mean think, instead of just having open surface area on top like a casing, a column culture would be allowed to pin all around, up and down, the surface are of the substrate.. I mean cakes do it on a small scale, so really column culture is just a blown up cake of sorts.
Yeah I was thinking as a setup I would have to find some sort of a vertical terranium. Then I guess it would be a matter of setting everything up like normal, and finding a way to hinge the substrate so it stands straight up.
Any other suggestions?

--------------------
I hear what I see
And see what I hear

The Green Pages

OfflineDinoMyc
    #694687 - 06/22/02 04:17 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>Here's an example, the yield was pretty shitty, but it was fascinating to watch it do its thing:
case and point.
Life tenaciously clings to any possability of propagation.. optimal and acceptable extremes are a two birds of quite different feathers..
I'm not criticiseing the possibility, I was merely trying to say that I feel that the optimal for this species is closer to flat and upright than vertical. I have seen many cases where fungi which ordinarily grow upright and long stemed fall over before they are finished growing due to their own weight..

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#694856 - 06/22/02 05:27 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I bet it wouldn't be as substrate efficient to go textbook column culture; surface area to volume ratio is against you, when comparing to the same amount in a tray form. And good point about them falling over, that would be a problem with a column. It's nice to see people trying different things regardless.
Orientation in itself isn't necessary un-challengeable, though. I still think there might be something to upside down trays. A little tough to mist! More research needed

OfflineDinoMyc
    #695589 - 06/23/02 03:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

They do certainly look cool..:)
just convert an entire room of your house (say, your bedroom) into a giant temp/humidity controlled terrarium of sorts..

--------------------

OfflineMr_Puke
Suicidal Failure

#696358 - 06/23/02 01:12 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

upside down mushies, cool...........

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck