Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
Timothy Leary
    #669403 - 06/09/02 01:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey

Just wondering what you guys think of Timothy Leary? I've been reading Politics of Ecstasy for an essay(anyone else read this?) and have been very interested in his ideas about the way politics works and the way he envisions politics and society should work, and his encouragement of people to "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out".

He's been criticised for only showing the good side of psychedelics, which, from reading Politics of Ecstasy, seems a fair enough point, but he encourages people to go out and ask people they know (rather than take his word for it) about psychedelics and their effects.

Hoping that you guys can give some opinions about what he was actually trying to say, and whether his movement was successful?

wintertime
(not sure if this is the right forum, but it is about Tim Leary in a general sense, drugs, politics..etc)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrAnCyNuGz
Stranger

Re: Timothy Leary [Re: wintertime]
    #669647 - 06/09/02 06:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey man......I don't know much about him yet, I am waiting to read Acid Dreams...it's an awsome book, and Timothy Leary's name is mentioned in it a lot. Check it out at The Shroomery BookStore it's on the 3rd page of Misc. Topics.

I also found a High Priest by Timothy Leary book in the Psychedelic Experience section.....make sure to order these books from the shroomery though....they get more money for linking you to Amazon

Offlinewhy
journeyman
    #669842 - 06/09/02 09:48 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

His autobiography 'Flashbacks' is a great read. As far as his philosophy goes, I don't think he will stand the test of time in the way that Aldous Huxley and Alan Watts will. just my opinion.

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
Re: Timothy Leary [Re: why]
    #670625 - 06/09/02 07:35 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

what makes you think he won't stand the test of time?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #670888 - 06/10/02 01:08 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

At the present time Timothy Francis Leary is more well known than either ALan Watts or Aldous Huxley.

Read his fascinating essay called Criminalizing the natural.

HEre is a picture of Tim and I from Chapman University where we bboth lectured with Baba Ram Dass.

mj

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
Re: Timothy Leary [Re: mjshroomer]
    #670903 - 06/10/02 01:34 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

heh, cool picture mj! where can I find a copy of Criminalizing the natural? I'd be very interested to read that. It's not in Politics of Ecstasy is it?

He's definately very famous, what do you think of his ideas?

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #671022 - 06/10/02 03:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Timothy Leary was a genius. He is my hero.

He was a modern day Jesus Christ type figure in my opinion. He went to prison for, what, ten years for a small amount of weed? That makes him a political prisoner. He was basically crucified without them having to kill him. That's how it works now adays. I find it fascinating that Leary actually ESCAPED from prison! Jesus escaped his death, and so did Leary(for a short while).

I love reading his work, and reading about him. He was a facinating human being.
I have videos about him as well including:
"History of LSD" History Channel
"History of LSD/Ecstacy" History Channel
"Timothy Leary Biography" A & E

and he's in a couple of other things I have such as this beatniks documentary from PBS.

I find it difficult to read his books lately. He really makes me see how much better the world would be if psychedelics were legal, and that's not going to happen, so it makes me depressed. Reading Leary get's me excited about how we could have changed the world completely. Now that i've realized that it probably won't happen......I don't even want to think about it. Not that I don't keep the faith, but I don't want to get wrapped up in living in the past.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinewhy
journeyman
Re: Timothy Leary [Re: mjshroomer]
    #671344 - 06/10/02 07:23 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>At the present time Timothy Francis Leary is more well known than either ALan Watts or Aldous Huxley.

There is a difference between being notorious and people actually reading and being influenced by his ideas.

I wouldn't agree that Timothy Leary is more well known than Aldous Huxley, although Huxley is most well known for his novels, much more so than for his writings on religion and mysticism.

Leary was a good writer but I don't think anyone's going to look back in 200 years and view his books as being 'classics' of the 20th century. I think that will happen for Huxley and Alan Watts, only time will tell...

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #671350 - 06/10/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well I KNOW he's more famous than Alan Watts!

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
    #672014 - 06/10/02 03:15 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Two people have said that so far, that he won't be remembered. What makes you think that? It seems that the majority of people who actually are remembered are the people who spoke for a generation, or represented a time in history. For me, Leary does that with the 60's.
Is it because his vision of the psychedelic society was not realized that he will not stand the test of time? Too much of an idealist?

Offlinewhy
journeyman
    #672665 - 06/11/02 04:41 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Timothy Leary is certainly well known, but most people know him for being 'the high priest of acid' and his slogan 'turn on, tune in, and drop out' They have never read his books or have any knowledege or interest in his ideas. I don't think you can argue his philosophy will last based on him being well known. My point was that there were other people who got caught up in the counter-culture who made a much more significant contribution to religious philosophy than Leary ever did. Most people may well never have heard of him, but Alan Watts perhaps did more than anyone else to bring Eastern religious ideas to the west. His books and Huxleys 'Perennial Philosophy', 'The Doors of Perception' (his beliefs also found there way into his novels) are some of the most important and influential works on mysticism produced in the 20th century. Leary recounts in 'flashbacks' that Huxley told him that his role was to be a 'cheerleader for evolution'. He will be remembered for the role he played as a central figure in the psychedelic sixties, but I doubt his ideas will be remembered in years to come. Leary has been criticised for being extremely irresponsible with some of the things that he did. I won't get any support here for saying it, but I think that there is some truth in that. as I said - just my opinion.

I read a good Huxley quote:- he was asked when close to death what he had learned from his study of the world's religions, he replied 'I'm embarrassed to say it, but try and be a little nicer to people'

Offlinemad_scientist
    #673093 - 06/11/02 10:38 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Timothy Leary wasn't the only person to be crucified for having drugs. There are many people serving long mandatory minimum sentences because of the U.S.'s drug laws. Everyone should go to the Fammilies Against Mandatory Minimum's website and support it for the sake of all of us. Fight back. Viva La Revolution!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order