Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestan
Loc: Sydney Australia
shiitake mycelium WTF????
    #663108 - 06/04/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I innoculated about 10 jars a week or two ago and now every jar looks different (all were done using same culture - 3 were done using liquid mycelium from same culture). Liquid mycelium ones look all gluggy with a green tinge and tghe others are all different shades of green and some even have little red bits!!!!
What the hell is going on here??!!!

--------------------
There is always a need for intoxication: China has
opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
Andr? Malraux

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: stan]
    #663181 - 06/04/02 06:28 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

you are infected, unless pure white, toss the shit

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #663296 - 06/04/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You have different kinds of contamination. Next time try to sterizilize longer and use peroxide. Now you can see why mushroom cultivation is not so trivial.
Under my experience it is very hard to be succesfull with liquid culture if you don't have a flow hood even if you use peroxide.

Offlinestan
Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: zeronio]
    #664575 - 06/05/02 03:48 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Are you guys sure. I've heard that shiitake and oyster mycelium is not pure white. Some of the darker ones are contaminated for sure but the others just look really gluggy. Does anyone have experience with shiitake?

--------------------
Andr? Malraux

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#665013 - 06/05/02 08:15 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

About experience I haven't fruited them yet... I cloned from a store bought specimen and it is colonizing grain now. It is the slowest culture I have seen so far, that's why it is prone to contaminants. It looks almost white, maybe a little greyish.
Red and green are definitily the colours of contamination. Look in contamination forum for pictures.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #665083 - 06/05/02 11:45 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well Oyster mycelia looks normal on agar, but fucking weird on substrates - i chucked a few before i realised that the grey coloured contaminant looking stuff was thickening out to white and was oyster mycelia - maybe shiitakes are the same - ill soon know ive jsut started on them

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #692834 - 06/21/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Shiitake mycelium tends to get brown when older.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: zeronio]
    #693821 - 06/22/02 08:24 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Some commercial mushroom strains are specifically chosen so that subsequent clones will be less 'fruitful'. The clones seem less able to revert back to vegetative growth and subsequent fruitbody formation. This protects the company's investment in a particular strain. I've read about this specifically with portobellas [etc], and can't say for sure if the shiitake growers are doing the same.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: Suntzu]
    #696204 - 06/23/02 11:24 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>Some commercial mushroom strains are specifically chosen
>so that subsequent clones will be less 'fruitful'. The clones
>seem less able to revert back to vegetative growth and
>subsequent fruitbody formation.

Hmmm.... I think I?m experiencing that with 2 cloned buttom mushrooms strains from the store....

The oysters that I cloned at the same day are already growing over the dish, and the button mushrooms still don?t do anything.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: Anno]
    #699928 - 06/25/02 08:34 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, that could be it. So far I've had better success when cloning from wild specimens.

Anonymous

Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: Suntzu]
    #711468 - 06/29/02 04:14 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinestan
Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: ]
    #712558 - 06/30/02 04:32 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just a quick update...only 3 jars made it - even though they at first looked really gluggy and slightly green, after a couple of weeks they turned pure white.

Out of the 3 jars i made 3 filter bags with hickory smoking chips, corn meal and lime. They only took one week to be completely covered in mycelium

--------------------
Andr? Malraux

Offlinelouis_last
Stranger

#4422325 - 07/19/05 03:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

somebody mentioned slow growing store bought cloned mushrooms, correct me if im wrong but im sure i heard somewhere that really big mushroom farms bio-engineer or genetically modify their mushrooms or something so that they are hard to clone? maybe im just being a sensationalist.

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

Re: shiitake mycelium WTF???? [Re: louis_last]
    #4422545 - 07/19/05 07:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Louis_last,

Supposing it was possible to protect a cultivar from cloning. But why would one invest $$K in development of such strain, when anyone can buy one for less than $100?

OfflineOsama_Just
Stranger

#14197085 - 03/28/11 10:23 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Shiitake mycelium is often able to overcome contamination and bacteria(the red and the green) if it is well enough established. That must mean that the liquid culture had enough shiitake mycelium in it to over run the contamination before it posed a real threat.

As for it going brown, thats oxidation where the surface of the shiitake mycelium is in contact with air. Its natural of the mycelium to do it and it also happens on logs where the mycelium is exposed to air. You shouldn't stress about it but if it happens to your spawn you may have a problem with yields later on.

If yields are not your issue though you should just re-sterilize the jars that are contaminated and introduce fine mycelium from the other jars. When you have your fruiting run you are going to have to clone the fruiting body anyway to ensure the mycelium's virility. Repeatedly cloning your species is the best way to ensure the highest yields and growthrates of your mycelium.

Ive seen from experience that as you use the same strain to reinnoculate other jars growth rate slows substantially. Shiitake is already really slow so it can get a bit unbearable.

As for cultivators editing the strain to prevent it from being cloned, this isn't done but the licensing that goes into a strain by the seller of the strain is quite intense. If anyone dies from it can be traced back to the original source.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix