Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Buying a new comp with Vista?
    #6578340 -

Ok, so my cousin called me to ask me what I thought. He's buying a new laptop, and he said he remembered me bitching about Vista. He's not a computer person really, so i mean he's not going to install linux.

He might as well get Vista, right? After all the "I hate vista" or "Vista sucks" talk, it really comes down to everyone will have it, right? It'd be like not upgrading to XP from windows 95, right?

Or no. I dunno. I said he might as well get it..

Waht do you all think

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Boom]
    #6578422 -

I wouldn't bother with Vista for 6 months AT LEAST.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: barfightlard]
    #6578459 -

yup. hold off for a while. honestly, XP will do everything you need at this point.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: kotik]
    #6578519 -

I know, I like XP, I'm not switching for a long time.

But as far as buying a new comp? Might as well get it, I mean everyhting will be supported if it's factory installed, no?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Boom]
    #6578634 -

in theory, not practice

from what I understand the Vista thats out right now isn't even 64 bit, and even when it IS 64 bit, there will be a shitload of driver problems and etc.

Microsoft is already waiting to release the first service pack for Vista called "Fuji." I would go ahead and get a Vista ready system, but get XP on it until Vista has some of the bugs worked out.

P.S. vista is so damn uninspiring. I am not impressed with any of the OSs out right now.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: kotik]
    #6579922 -

Yea, i HIGHLY recomend wating 6-12 months.

This is Micro$oft....what better and cheaper debuggers than the consumers...

If he does bite the bullet and get it, he will probably be ok with all of the stuff installed in the PC, but be ready for a hastle with every program, periferal, or anything thats being downloaded.

If it goes in or out, Vista will bitch/question him, least that what i have read, and heard.

Getting a new PC is fine and dandy, but use XP, he probably already knows it, and for arguments sake its realitivly hastle/bug free.


--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #6580388 -

Either way, he is going to get screwed.  Gotta love Microsoft...  :rolleyes:

If he goes with Vista now, he is going to experience the growing pains of a new and buggy OS.  Don't be fooled by Microsofts lies about stability and security.  Any new OS, by any vendor, is going to have security issues and various bugs.  How bad will Vista be?  I suspect it is going to be like the ME upgrade... lots of problems... but I could be mistaken.

If he goes with XP now, then he is going to experience problems as the computer ages and Microsoft cripples XP trying to force people to upgrade.  If he decides to upgrade to Vistal later, then he pays into the monopoly twice.  Upgrades are always a bit risky to install, as well.

It sucks, but I would probably go with Vista in his place.  I have learned the hard way that when Microsoft is concerned, you go with the flow (doing things the MS way) or you get chewed up.  In this case, MS wants you to upgrade... and if you don't... you will pay, eventually.  In my mind, I would rather know when I am getting screwed rather than have it happen randomly on Microsoft's schedule.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Seuss]
    #6580590 -

Seuss said:
If he goes with XP now, then he is going to experience problems as the computer ages and Microsoft cripples XP trying to force people to upgrade. If he decides to upgrade to Vistal later, then he pays into the monopoly twice. Upgrades are always a bit risky to install, as well.



i would have to disagree. i know plenty of professional studios that are still running NT.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: kotik]
    #6580954 -

I don't like vista anymore than you do.  But it *will* become the standard, like it or not. :sad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Boom]
    #6581049 -

I installed vista ultimate and it's like microsoft took a shit in a box then put a 400 dollar price tag on it

The driver support sucks

A lot of programs don't even run

The user access control is retarded (I just turned it off)

I could go on and on


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Boom]
    #6581070 -

Use Vista now and you're doing unpaid beta testing for MS for at least the next nine months.

Stripped down XP is pretty tight. The only thing I'm really looking for in Vista is Direct3D 10, and that won't be properly utilised for a while.

As far as I've seen, Vista offers nothing new.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Seuss]
    #6581406 -

he is going to experience the growing pains of a new and buggy OS

Not just that but from what I've read, Vista requires A/V device manufacturers to include hardware-enforced Digital Rights Management. If that's true, you will not be able to copy CDs and DVDs and might not be able to play P2P content either.

This would be enforced at the physical ASIC chip level so there's no software way to bypass it.

I will go back to DOS before I switch to Vista.


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Diploid]
    #6581444 -

I successfully "backed up" a DVD I got from Blockbuster a few days ago.

I tried again last night but Nero wasn't working.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #6581463 -

vista is fucking garbage

plus for some strange ass reason after Nero stopped working I restarted back into linux and my FAT drives wouldn't mount, and my Music (NTFS) drive lost it's name and reverted to "sda1"

I manually mounted my external FAT drive but it didn't give me write... rights. I tried restarted a few times and nothing.

I just logged back into vista a few minutes ago to make sure I saved a document on one of my drives, then logged back into linux and magically my drives are back to normal and sda1 is back as music.

:shrug:

don't know if it's related or what


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #6581648 -

I'm not going to get it anytime soon. I'm happy messing around with ubuntu right now, finally been getting shit working right under it. I dunno, I really like it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: OJK]
    #6581664 -

Odiumjunkie said:
Use Vista now and you're doing unpaid beta testing for MS for at least the next nine months.

Stripped down XP is pretty tight. The only thing I'm really looking for in Vista is Direct3D 10, and that won't be properly utilised for a while.

As far as I've seen, Vista offers nothing new.



i couldn't agree more with all of that. personally, i'll wait until the real 64 bit version comes out, and ill wait for the quad cores to drop, and a service pack to come through. At that point, not only will the computer be at least $2000 cheaper (or at least much faster for the same price) but there will also be a cracked version, which is more my style.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Boom]
    #6584237 -

Sort of on topic..... but we've been looking recently for a new computer for the office.

Well, we figured it would be most cost effective to get a package deal(monitor and pc) from one of the big name places (dell, hp, or compaq).....

Well, good luck finding one WITHOUT Vista if you want to go that route! Fuckers, dont even offer XP anymore as far as I can tell.


--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

..............

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Schwip]
    #6584257 -

I got vista and I aint had a problem yet


--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Dobie]
    #6584335 -

> Well, good luck finding one WITHOUT Vista if you want to go that route! Fuckers, dont even offer XP anymore as far as I can tell.

>> I have learned the hard way that when Microsoft is concerned, you go with the flow (doing things the MS way) or you get chewed up.

... as I said ...  :grin:

When XP first came out, a lot of corp machines (at least from HP/Compaq) had both a win2k and a winxp key.  You were supposed to use one of the two keys to activate the version of the OS you decided to go with.  With vista, I doubt they are offering this sort of thing... MS is really twisting people's arms forcing them to switch... which is where my above comment about going with the flow comes into play.  I've learned the hard way that MS gets what MS wants, and if you try to avoid playing the MS game, then you end up suffering.  Maybe this time I will be wrong, but I doubt it...


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Buying a new comp with Vista? [Re: Seuss]
    #6589667 -

I work at the Geek Squad so I see all of the Vista problems first hand.  Most software now has a Vista compatibility upgrade.  My only beef is the god damn user account security crap, that pops up and asks you if you want to let a program use a resource.  It makes customizing computers a real bitch. 

This commercial cracks me up, I hate Apple but it's so true :lol:

Edited by Newbie (02/20/07 02:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Microsoft already hard at work on first service pack... kotik 544 0 02/15/07 05:28 AM
by kotik
* New Serious Security Hole in Vista DiploidM 1,526 9 04/03/07 01:26 PM
by Boom
* Bye Microsoft!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
YthanA 6,166 70 03/05/07 01:39 PM
by HELLA_TIGHT
* Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required??
( 1 2 all )
DiploidM 4,066 30 11/30/06 03:45 PM
by Konnrade
* Windows Vista Reformat issue
( 1 2 all )
AaronEvil 5,019 20 06/22/07 01:10 PM
by AaronEvil
* So I installed vista earlier
( 1 2 all )
Boom 3,573 26 02/05/07 05:35 AM
by j3ckyl
* Microsoft Office Key Code Banez 1,145 5 05/12/07 04:25 AM
by Banez
* "When Microsoft lovers bash Microsoft..." Vvellum 865 2 04/26/06 04:12 AM
by Seuss

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
2,072 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 18 queries.