Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Pet Turtles.
    #6245366 -

What do yew all think of turtles as a pet..

I was thinking of getting a 40. gallon aquarium and getting one little Mud turtle.

Does anyone have turtles?


If so, have they ever *accidently* gotten high? :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6245381 -

My buddy had a snapping turtle he caught in kentucky. It alsways seemed cruel to me.. keepin him in a tank....

But then again, he got pretty big. How big is this "one little Mud turtle"?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: DieCommie]
    #6245396 -

trust me when i say this: having a turtle is alot of work.

the tank gets very dirty very fast....you find yourself changing the water constantly. especially with a big tank....it needs clean water..so you are always doing that and cleaning the tank.


--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC


All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6245432 -

The only thats gayer is getting one *accidently* high  :rolleyes:

Edited by Brainiac (11/03/06 10:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6245438 -

I used to have a box turtle. Turtles are cool creatures, though they don't make 'the best' pets, per se. My turtle was very timid and got spooked pretty easily, so he would just retract into his shell and chill there a lot of the time. He got a little more friendly after awhile, and I realized the importance of taking him outside now and then so he could scoot around in a big area.
Also, he was a bit of a finicky eater; and my tank was too small. I think it was 20 gallons..? Anyways, you just want to give them some space even though they're not going to be zooming around it. 40 gallons sounds pretty good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6245493 -

A friend of mine has some sort of tortoise or turtle. He just walks around freely like a cat or dog though. He will eat Doritos.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: PinballWizard]
    #6245531 -

omg thats fuckin awesome, i love turtles there prety cool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: Hamstercut]
    #6245688 -

yeah if your going to get a turtle then get a tortoise you can get them small and watch them grow huge and they will probably outlive you. Also no water other then drinking water is needed that Im aware of.


--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6245695 -

I used to have one. I thought it was pretty cool. But you must always keep the cage clean, and I guess for some people, that can be an issue. Also, if his little shell cracks, you've gotta take care of that right away.And make sure it aways has water. I loved watching mine eat a banana.Pretty sweet! I got mine and my tarantula to conquer my fear of those types of things, and now I love both kinds.


blackieRL:flaming:


--------------------
BlackieRL:flaming:
BRL:flaming:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: PinballWizard]
    #6245708 -

That is way cool. Is that normal?

Reptiles are cool animals but as far as pets go I've always been into dogs and fish (I love building my own mini ecosystem with live plants or coral and various varieties of fish, crabs, whatever)


--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #6246192 -

I have two Red Ear Sliders. They are adorable. Very fast. They snap as well. My girls love them and they're easy to care for.
Get some, you'll love them.


--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deadHead321]
    #6246961 -

deadHead321 said:
trust me when i say this: having a turtle is alot of work.

the tank gets very dirty very fast....you find yourself changing the water constantly. especially with a big tank....it needs clean water..so you are always doing that and cleaning the tank.



This is very true!!




Here's my Red Eared Slider that I've had for over 20 years now.  If you want, anyone can feel free to say that she's gay.  Just know that I won't respect you very much afterwards. :grin:  I'd actually be more inclined to call her fabulous myself.

But yes, in all honesty, they can be a handful.  The individual just has to decide for themself whether or not it's worth it.  For me it is worth it.  Sometimes I wonder about the extra time that I would have had had I not gotten a turtle but I don't sweat it.  Overall I'm glad that I have her.  And who knows, she might even live another 15 years or so.  I've been told that a RES can live up to 40 years.  I don't plan to have kids still for a while but I'm starting to think that my kids should be able to get to know my turtle too.

If you have a 40 gallon tank then that should be good.  My turtle's huge and for the longest time I had her in a 30.  I felt bad though and eventually got a 70 gallon which I fill up about half way for her.  If you are gonna have a turtle you'll just need lighting, a good filter, a basking platform, water heater and heat lamp.  That's about it aside from the tank.

Then again tortoises might be a better way to go since they don't need gallons upon gallons of water.  Never had one of them though.

Edited by TDOTupagus (11/04/06 01:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: truffleupagus]
    #6250389 -

Nobody knows what to make of my turtle I guess.

Geez, I at least expected a "damn, that's a big bitch of turtle" from somebody.

I guess she's not as popular on here as toads are since she's not active.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: truffleupagus]
    #8747110 -

I like turtles

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: johnm214]
    #8747354 -

get a dog. much better pets

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: blkjkrabbit]
    #8747361 -

ehh...

dogs poo...

turtles are better

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: johnm214]
    #8747363 -

turtles are straight up weak. unless you had the right habitat but not the average shit.

But if you take turtles on walks then thats acceptable as a turtle pet owner.


--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"My views ain't changed to live humane wait" -Eminem
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
"From that what, knowledge of self - determination!" -Blackstar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since I got braces shit gets stuck in my teeth.
Make me *** bitch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: deXtrous]
    #8747377 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: hazey]
    #8747422 -



--------------------
:discorex::kickflip:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pet Turtles. [Re: desertturtle]
    #8747663 -

Turtles are some of the highest maintenance animals you can have. They crap a lot and it requires a lot of cleaning. I've had to take care of several and it wasn't easy.

The nice part is they can be more active than other reptiles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* POLL: Name My Turtle: BOWSER!
( 1 2 3 all )
HighTek 5,698 51 04/18/07 02:13 PM
by tiny_rabid_birds
* Best "Stoner" (chill) Pet
( 1 2 3 all )
skatealex2 9,682 46 06/01/09 04:01 PM
by Primefied
* Badass pets
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Nativeinabush 3,580 62 08/15/10 10:40 AM
by wakenbake
* Pix of Shroomerite Pets
( 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 all )
chemiKalz 17,199 241 08/27/15 04:57 PM
by SARAtonin
* exotic pets
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dr4bidn 7,455 72 08/08/08 11:26 AM
by Gumby
* I want a box turtle Requiem 1,555 10 09/06/04 11:59 AM
by C20H25N3O
* Box Turtles yo skunkape 867 6 08/08/08 11:47 PM
by johnm214
* alligator snapping turtles
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
PreparationH 7,961 80 05/27/10 07:20 AM
by dangermike78

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,043 topic views. 4 members, 24 guests and 164 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.