Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake
    #6073364 - 09/18/06 08:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060917-060812-5969r

Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake

LAS VEGAS, Sept. 17 (UPI) -- The new energy drink Cocaine from Las Vegas' Redux Beverages is being designated by the company as "the legal alternative" to its illegal namesake.

The company and the drink's inventor, Jamey Kirby, claim the new drink will offer those drinking it both a physical high from increased vitamin B12 and sugars, along with a psychological high from the product's shocking name, said the New York Post.

"When a person sees the name of the drink, some psychological effect happens and the person is already experiencing the energy buzz before they even open the can," said Kirby.

"I can think of no other product except real cocaine that could have that effect on the public," he added.

The paper said Kirby confessed that a throat-numbing ingredient was added to the drink to emulate its namesake. The drink -- like its illegal counterpart -- will be marketed to partiers.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: motaman]
    #6073407 - 09/18/06 08:59 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like someone learned a little something from Dave Chappelle!

A well deserved slap in the face to governments wishing to choose our stimulants for us.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6073520 - 09/18/06 09:53 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I love how they put a numbing agent in it as well...

classic...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineDelta9Hippie
Traveler
Male

Loc: Spaceship Earth
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6074085 - 09/18/06 01:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

haha, so great.  Theres one from NYC called XTC whos slogan is "It gets you ROLLIN" or something to that extent.  I'm diggin it, I hope this cocaine one becomes as nationally popular as Monster or Red Bull.

Party Scene: "you got the blow?"..... 'no, but i got the cocaine'.... :confused:

A whole new meaning to cocaine and whisky...  oh man, i gotta stop.

--------------------
"During evolutionary time, the avenues of possible progress have become progressively restricted, until today only one remains...Man...has been suddenly appointed managing director of the biggest business of all, the business of evolution."

Life begins the day you start a garden.

Check out my trade list in My Journal...

Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: Delta9Hippie]
    #6075358 - 09/18/06 07:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ha, that is just great.
The throat numbing thing just makes it so much better.

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

OfflineAnthonyStoner
Stoner
Male

Loc: Beyond the realms of deat...
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: whatever123]
    #6076047 - 09/18/06 09:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

LOL!! This is awesome! Its like the kind of thing you hear ads for on the radio in "Grand Theft Auto" games!

--------------------
If I medicined you, you'd think a brain tumor was a birthday present.

Dave's not here!

Offlinewhatsthestorymg
badwithgrains

Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: AnthonyStoner]
    #6077059 - 09/19/06 06:54 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Get Redballs! Cocaine in a can! hahaha.. gotta love Tyrone.

--------------------
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good cubie :mushroom2: :mrt: :mushroom2:
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good van eyck  :mrt:

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Cattle Prod of Loving Kindness

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #6077391 - 09/19/06 09:53 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
... along with a psychological high from the product's shocking name ...

In the wrods of Buggs Bunny, "What a Maroon!"

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#6077698 - 09/19/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

my coca drink is numbing too my agent for numbing is coca leaves its a combo of full throttle, monster, and various sodas and taste really good and is super addictive

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

OfflineSunshineDaydreem
Midnight Toker

Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: Papaver]
    #6079631 - 09/19/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
Quote:

motaman said:
... along with a psychological high from the product's shocking name ...

In the wrods of Buggs Bunny, "What a Maroon!"

Not that farfetched... gotta love the placebo effect.

--------------------
Sunshine daydream
Walk you the tall trees
Going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose
Breathing more freely
Light out singing
I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine daydream
Walk you in the sunshine

OfflineMirth
`'{*;*}'`
 User Gallery

Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: SunshineDaydreem]
    #6081770 - 09/20/06 10:23 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Hee hee

--------------------
The ineffable is not always intangible !

OfflineThePeruvianTorch
Cactidude
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: Mirth]
    #6082547 - 09/20/06 02:09 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yeah its like the first time you did coke you where nervous aprehensive anxious and all that, really adds to the first time high I think, got me hooked many moons... or maybe that was just the coke.. hmmm

--------------------
my techno: www.myspace.com/funkbungus
my acoustic:

www.myspace.com/icanplaythetambourine

Offlinelipan
Magi
 User Gallery
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: ThePeruvianTorch]
    #6083906 - 09/20/06 08:02 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i bet the name is a muse off of the numbing agent, since its probably benzocaine.

--------------------
Feel free to forget all that I am saying, for the instant these clumsy words spill out of my mouth, they transform into complete lies.

Offlineseadal19
Stranger
Re: Cocaine drink emulates illegal namesake [Re: lipan]
    #6085146 - 09/21/06 12:17 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone seen the energy drink Dickins Cider? They have all size Dickin Ciders. Little Dickins Cider to great big Dickins Cider. Open slowly Dickins Cider like to pop.

Other than the joke I have actually seen Dickins Cider on ebay.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
It's legal, but Cocaine could still be hard to find [Re: motaman]
    #6123446 - 10/02/06 04:23 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/79767,CST-NWS-cocaine02.article

It's legal, but Cocaine could still be hard to find

October 2, 2006

BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter

"Cocaine" isn't for sale in Chicago area stores just yet, but some local beverage purveyors say they won't stock it if it does become available.

The controversial energy drink recently debuted in New York and California. The drink maker's Web site claims it will soon be available online via Amazon.com.

Several Chicago bars and clubs contacted over the weekend said they had no plans to stock the drink.

Tammy Tatos, owner of Gold Crown Liquors, 3425 N. Clark, said, "I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't sound good."

Marissa Arredondo, a manager of Sam's Wines and Spirits at 1720 N. Marcey, said the drink could upset some customers.

"We do have families come in and shop," she said. "They would be offended."

In addition to the provocative name, Cocaine promises an "instant rush" with "no crash." It contains more caffeine than a Starbucks Grande coffee, and nearly three times as much as the most popular energy drink, Red Bull.

Glamorizes addictive drug?
In some news accounts, officials with Redux Beverages in Las Vegas, which makes the drink, were quoted as saying Cocaine numbs the throat in order to produce an oral sensation like cocaine does. Company officials in Las Vegas couldn't be reached for comment.

Joseph A. Califano, president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, said Redux "should be ashamed of creating and marketing an insidious product."

Noting that 1 million people use the drug cocaine weekly in the United States, he said in a statement, "Putting a product on the market that glamorizes an illegal and addictive drug like cocaine is irresponsible and reprehensible."

While the drink has only been available for a short time, the company claims its Web site, drink cocaine.com, received 6.7 million hits in its first week.

On the drink's MySpace profile, visitors wondered when the drink would be more widely available.

One person named Madeline asked when "is this coming to Chicago[?] [E]verybody at my school wants a can!"

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Lawmakers Scold Maker of ‘Cocaine’ Drink [Re: motaman]
    #6125523 - 10/02/06 06:26 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/nyregion/03cocaine.html?ref=nyregion

Lawmakers Scold Maker of ‘Cocaine’ Drink
By SEWELL CHAN

Outraged New York City lawmakers denounced the manufacturer of a new, highly caffeinated soft drink called Cocaine yesterday and called for a boycott of the beverage, saying it glamorized an illegal and deadly stimulant that has ravaged urban neighborhoods since the epidemic of the 1980’s.

“There are only two reasons that you would seek to use this infamous and insidious name to market your so-called energy drink,” said Councilman James Sanders Jr. of Queens, who organized a news conference at City Hall. “Either you are woefully ignorant of the horrors of cocaine addiction, or your god is the dollar bill, and not even human life is more sacred.”

The beverage has attracted considerable publicity, most of it negative, since it was introduced last month by its manufacturer, Redux Beverages L.L.C., in southern California. The company’s Web site lists five retailers that sell the beverage — all of them in or around New York City. It is also available in Los Angeles and San Diego.

While the site states that “we don’t advocate drug use,” it suggests that the carbonated beverage be mixed with alcohol — offering recipes for cocktails with names like Liquid Cocaine, Cocaine Smash, Cocaine Blast and even Cocaine Snort. The site promotes the beverage’s page on MySpace, the heavily trafficked social-networking Internet site that is popular among children and teenagers.

Experts on drug use and nutrition condemned the beverage.

Joseph A. Califano Jr., chairman and president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, used five adjectives — insidious, disgraceful, irresponsible, reprehensible and disgusting — to describe the drink.

In a statement, Mr. Califano, who was secretary of health, education and welfare in the Carter administration, said it was “clearly aimed at children and teen ‘partygoers.’ ”

The beverage is a competitor with so-called energy drinks like Red Bull. According to the Cocaine site (drinkcocaine.com), the beverage, sold in 8.4-ounce cans, has three times more caffeine per ounce than Red Bull and similar beverages like Rockstar Juiced, Full Throttle, Monster Energy and Bawls.

“This is a salted, heavily caffeinated, sugary drink with extra calories that nobody needs,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University, after reviewing the nutritional label on the Cocaine beverage. “It’s a souped-up Gatorade. This product has minimal nutritional value.”

Redux Beverages, founded by James T. and Hannah H. Kirby, is registered in Las Vegas and located in Murrieta, Calif.

Mr. Kirby, 42, a former software executive who was in New York City yesterday to promote his product, said in a telephone interview, “I think most people are smart, and they know the difference between an energy drink and a Class A narcotic.” He said of the name, “There’s a lot of irony and wordplay.”

The Press-Enterprise of Riverside, Calif., quoted Mr. Kirby last month as saying, “I chose the name because I knew it would be controversial, and controversy sells.” He said the criticism was coming from “super-right-wing groups” and added, “I think kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.”

But at the City Hall news conference, Mr. Sanders and three other lawmakers — all Democrats — offered withering criticism.

“This is the height of irresponsibility for any company,” said Assemblyman Karim Camara of Brooklyn.

Councilwoman Letitia James of Brooklyn called the beverage “a legal precursor to an illegal product,” while Councilman Larry B. Seabrook of the Bronx likened it to “imitation cigarettes, which caused generations upon generations to become smokers.”

They called on the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Consumer Affairs to investigate the safety of the beverage, but the authority to do so may be limited. Professor Nestle said that because the energy drinks had been billed as dietary supplements rather than food items, they had eluded regulation by the federal Food and Drug Administration.

Whether the calls for a boycott will be heeded is unclear. Rupert Jee, owner of Hello Deli in Midtown, one of the five retailers listed on the Cocaine Web site, said, “They did, in fact, list our name without authorization.” But Mr. Jee said he was inclined to continue selling the beverage.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
CSU law students take on 'Cocaine' in trademark case [Re: motaman]
    #6157265 - 10/11/06 07:46 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/business/1160555990105360.xml&coll=2

CSU law students take on 'Cocaine' in trademark case
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Mary Vanac
Plain Dealer Reporter

Five law students and their professor at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law are opposing the trademark "Cocaine" for a high-caffeine, high-sugar energy drink that is being marketed to young people.

A Las Vegas company, Redux Beverages LLC, and its co-founder, James Kirby, are using Cocaine as the name for their new soft drink, which is being sold at bars and stores, mostly in New York and California.

On behalf of the Progressive Intellectual Property Law Association and Americans for Drug Free Youth Inc., the Cleveland State University students opposed the soft drink trademark Tuesday on the grounds that it is immoral and scandalous, which is against federal statute.

Since its September launch, Cocaine has raised the hackles of anti-drug groups because the drink is being touted as "the legal alternative" to cocaine, the illegal drug.

Redux promotes its carbonated beverage at a site on MySpace, the popular social networking Web site for teenagers.

If its trademark application is granted, other soft drink companies could not use the Cocaine name for their products. If not, Redux could still use the Cocaine name, but so could competitors.

Kirby filed his trademark application in March, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The application was reviewed and given preliminary approval by a staff attorney.

On Tuesday, the USPTO published the trademark application in its weekly gazette. The public has 30 days to oppose published trademarks. If unopposed, the marks are granted.

Second-year law students Matthew Delaney, Jessica Fajfar, Angela Simmons, Irina Vinogradsky and Mike Wendolowski were ready. Under the direction of their professor, Mickey Davis, the students spent the past 10 days writing an "opposition" to the Cocaine trademark.

The students and their professor filed the opposition with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on Tuesday.

The opposition process began about two weeks ago, after Davis mentioned the trademarked Cocaine perfume during an intellectual property lecture.

"Right after class, I was reading the news, and it popped right off the page: Cocaine energy drink," said Delaney, one of the students.

"I couldn't believe that we had just got done talking about it. So I forwarded it to Professor Davis," Delaney said.

"In the next class it became a big deal," said Simmons, another student in the class. Five students volunteered to challenge the Cocaine drink trademark.

Why?

"I'm a parent of teenagers. It really bothers me, the idea of there being a drink called cocaine," Simmons said. "Plus, it's in a field I'm interested in."

Cocaine is OK to be applied to a perfume, Delaney said. "But when you start looking at a consumable product that they're marketing to mainly children and young adults," the connection to the illegal drug is clear.

Vinogradsky, also a parent, signed on because she strongly disagrees with the use of the name for a soft drink. She recruited the Russian American Medical Association, which is based in Willoughby, to pay the opposition filing fee of $300.

Redux and Kirby have 40 days to respond to the opposition, Davis said. Neither Kirby nor his company returned e-mails and a phone call seeking response Tuesday.

It's unusual for organizations to claim harm from a trademark on the public's behalf, said Meredith Wilkes, a trademark attorney at Cleveland law firm Jones Day. Typically, trademark opposers are competitors, Wilkes said.

Trademark oppositions usually follow a course similar to that of civil lawsuits, said Cynthia Lynch, administrator for trademark policy and procedure at the patent and trademark office.

The main difference is that testimony is done on paper, not in a courtroom, Wilkes said.

Occasionally, the trademark appeal board will hear oral testimony, Lynch said.

The board could decide whether to grant the Cocaine energy drink trademark in November 2007, Davis said.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: CSU law students take on 'Cocaine' in trademark case [Re: motaman]
    #6158658 - 10/11/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

> "I'm a parent of teenagers. It really bothers me, the idea of there being a drink called cocaine," Simmons said.

So oppose the tradmark so that instead of one cocain energy drink by one manufacturer there could be dozens of manufacturers making a "cocain" drink... Are these people fucking retarded?

-FF

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: CSU law students take on 'Cocaine' in trademark case [Re: fastfred]
    #6158710 - 10/11/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Umm... how about they stop selling this new drink when they stop selling coca cola?

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Cocaine ENERGY DRINK Spurs Controversy with NRage ENERGY Strips [Re: motaman]
    #6203242 - 10/23/06 06:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.globalsurfnews.com/news.asp?Id_news=24438

Cocaine ENERGY DRINK Spurs Controversy with NRage ENERGY Strips

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 23 October, 2006 : - - (New York) The hoopla surrounding Cocaine energy drink has brought much attention to the drug and spurred college students to spread rumors about a caffeine based energy product called NRage Energy Strips. Paul Giordano Chief “Energy”Officer of Innovate Nutrition and co- founder of NRage Energy Products claims some college students reference NRage as the “Strip Without The Drip”.

The term “Drip” describes the effects one experiences when using a controlled substance such as cocaine and is not how we want to portray our product. “Without” the drip insinuates a correlation that the strips may contain cocaine or a controlled substance and we need to go on record that NRage energy strips does not contain any kind of controlled substance. Yes when you take a strip there’s the immediate energy rush and your nasal passages clear right up which mimics the effects slightly but there is no Cocaine.

It’s just the effects are heightened because the delivery is instant. College kids seemed to have adopted this title from the relation of the strip on the tongue and instant head rush of energy. Now many of them are taking Nrage Energy Strips after they drink a Red Bull to heighten the effect. Considering the hoopla surrounding Cocaine Energy drink if you read between the lines, NRage is a superior energy product but by no means contains ingredients misconstrued by this title. But it is easy to see how this buzz or controversy gets out of context.

What inspired an energy product in a strip?

After the success of Red Bull and the first time Giordano tried a Listerine strip, he knew that there was an open void in the energy market for a product like NRage. He saw a need for a portable product and worked with top chemists to develop a strip that was superior on delivery and would offer a better energy alternative to the dominating energy drink and pill market. So he adopted the motto if you can’t fit a Red Bull in your pocket then carry “a pocket full of energy without the can”. One pack is equivalent to the caffeine in 6 Red Bulls right in your pocket.

What is unique about NRage you do not drink, chew or swallow it but just place a strip on your tongue and let it dissolve. The ingredients are delivered through your cheeks and gums in an instant. Giordano claims he is starting a new category with NRage. The buzz is spreading in New York and Las Vegas at casinos like the Wynn, Hardrock and Palms. NRage is also sold online at www.nrageusa.com.

Giordano would not disclose the amounts of caffeine but did say each strip contains less than a Red Bull, 1-3 strips and your awake almost instantly. He said most people do not get that such a small little strip can give such a wallop of energy. Once they try it their hooked especially since there are NO carbs, NO sugars, and NO calories.

Is NRage on it’s way to be the next Red Bull success story without the can, that remains to be seen. One thing for certain NRage is stirring up havoc from the claim it’s the most effective energy product on the planet and the cost of energy drinks these days. In comparison 6 energy drinks would cost $12-$15 Nrage is a fraction of that cost. So we can see why college kids are ramped up and would jump on this bandwagon. For more information on NRage Energy Strips go to www.nrageusa.com

Editor's Note: Artcile on Cocaine drink available here

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder