Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens
    #6040630 - 09/08/06 07:17 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/07/health/webmd/printable1983251.shtml

Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens

Sep 7, 2006(WebMD) Fewer American adolescents reported using marijuana last year, though overall illegal drug use remained largely unchanged, according to a federal report released Thursday.

The annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health estimates that 6.8 percent of middle school and high school students used marijuana in 2005, down from 7.6 percent the year before.

John P. Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, heralded the news as a sign of "a cultural change" in which American teens are slowly turning away from drug use.

Walters also pointed to a drop in the number of first-time users of methamphetamine, a highly addictive stimulant that has torn at many rural and Western communities. Methamphetamine use appears to be shrinking, he said.

But the survey also shows Americans' use of illegal drugs has changed little since 2002.

Apparent improvement in the 12- to 17-year-old age group was offset by stagnation or increases in drug use in other age groups. Americans' overall drug use in 2005 actually ticked up slightly from 2004, the survey shows.

An estimated 20 million Americans, or 8 percent of the population 12 years or older, reported using illegal substances within the past month, according to the survey.

One problem group appears to be baby boomers, whose use of drugs such as marijuana and painkillers has risen slowly but steadily in the last four years.

Also, one-fifth of all 18- to 25-year-olds reported using illegal drugs in the past month, a figure nearly identical to 2002.

The overall number of meth users nationwide also did not change, according to the report.

The survey sampled nearly 68,000 Americans aged 12 and older.

In alcohol and tobacco use, there was also little progress. Those drugs are responsible for the vast majority of drug-related injuries and deaths in the U.S.

More than 29 percent of Americans aged 12 or older reported using tobacco in the last month.

And 28 percent of those aged 12 to 20 (10.8 million people) acknowledged drinking in the past month. That number has stayed about the same since 2002, the survey notes.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: motaman]
    #6040637 - 09/08/06 07:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Laws and propaganda don't deter people from using drugs. But they do a damn good job of filling up prisons and bringing in money to support federal and state activities.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: 76degrees]
    #6040779 - 09/08/06 09:14 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I love how they keep telling themselves numbers like 6% too...

I wonder how many teen guys they think masturbate... 4-5% maybe?

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6041054 - 09/08/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They obviously didn't survey the kids where I went to high school...

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineThePeruvianTorch
Cactidude
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: TODAY]
    #6041122 - 09/08/06 11:48 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

haha yeah, my highschool, the year in front of me was 60% drop out 5 alcohol related deaths and countless jail sentences, my class was a little better, and the one behind me where all a bunch of angels, its weird.

--------------------
my techno: www.myspace.com/funkbungus
my acoustic:

www.myspace.com/icanplaythetambourine

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6041129 - 09/08/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I agree, that 6% seems pretty damn low. I wonder if they even counter in the fact that a lot of teens who do, probably don't answer truthfully on these types of polls (assuming that this number wasn't just made up).

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: djaxx06]
    #6041419 - 09/08/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

maybe they did the survey in a really clean part of the country. you know if they asked people in colorado and California those numbers would be more like 75%

Also, it seems they only were concerned with meth and pot and "other substances," I wish they could have done a little reporting on the use of hallucinogens

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6041608 - 09/08/06 03:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fewer American adolescents reported using marijuana last year

Reported use is down, not actual use.

Quote:

John P. Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, heralded the news as a sign of "a cultural change" in which American teens are slowly turning away from drug use.

Don't get so full of yourself you pompous assclown. You should herald it as a sign of a cultural change in which American teens are slowly realizing they are being betrayed by their own government and need to hide their drug use instead of being honest and open about it.

Quote:

In alcohol and tobacco use, there was also little progress. Those drugs are responsible for the vast majority of drug-related injuries and deaths in the U.S.

Why aren't the irresponsible scum that use these drugs locked away in a cell?

John Walters, I would like to stick a golf cleat up your fat ass. I would love to light a fat joint in front of you while a concoction of all sorts of illegal drugs is pumped directly into your bloodstream. I would love to see your ass hit by a Mack truck crossing the street. I hope you die a cold and lonely death with nothing but the barrel of a gun to keep you company. You are scum and don't deserve the air we breathe.

OfflineSunshineDaydreem
Midnight Toker

Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: TODAY]
    #6041956 - 09/08/06 05:27 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
They obviously didn't survey the kids where I went to high school...

Haha, yah, no shit. My graduating class was 75%+ stoners with a few occasional smokers mixed in their.

--------------------
Sunshine daydream
Walk you the tall trees
Going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose
Breathing more freely
Light out singing
I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine daydream
Walk you in the sunshine

InvisibleSaRah037
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: SunshineDaydreem]
    #6042236 - 09/08/06 07:06 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by SaRah037 (01/16/09 07:18 PM)

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Survey: Marijuana Use Down Among Teens [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6043568 - 09/09/06 07:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ApJunkie said:
maybe they did the survey in a really clean part of the country. you know if they asked people in colorado and California those numbers would be more like 75%

Also, it seems they only were concerned with meth and pot and "other substances," I wish they could have done a little reporting on the use of hallucinogens

While I agree with the first part, why do you want attention drawn to psychedelics? If there is press you can almost bet that its going to be bad press. We don't want focus to be drawn to these things. They would just use it as an excuse to declaire an epidemic and go after people like us. Also would you like to see the legal commercial access of psychedelics drop to zero? I understand the desire to educate the public, but you don't want the powers that be to do the educating. Also most people won't understand. Most of the people who even care will abuse them in all likelyhood, and then the idiots ruin it for everyone. I think that with the current trend of things our best bet is flying as far under the radar as possible.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom