Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Teen Treatment for Marijuana Up 142 Percent
    #2586096 - 04/21/04 09:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/teens/a/blcasa040420.htm

Rite Of Passage Or Russian Roulette?

The proportion of children and teenagers in treatment for marijuana dependence and abuse jumped 142 percent since 1992, according to a new CASA white paper, Non-Medical Marijuana II: Rite Of Passage Or Russian Roulette?, released by The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University.

Children and teens are three times likelier to be in treatment for marijuana than for alcohol, and six times likelier to be in treatment for marijuana than for all other illegal drugs combined.

The CASA report also found that emergency department mentions of the drug among 12- to 17-year olds jumped 48 percent since 1999. Especially troubling is the possibility that this rise in teen emergency department mentions is related to the increased potency of the drug.

John P. Walters, Director of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) said, "The CASA white paper reinforces the fact that today's marijuana is very different from what was available in the 1970's and 1980's, in terms of its potency and addictive potential. Thanks to research such as this, we know more than we ever have about the adverse health impacts of using the drug, particularly for our youth. Marijuana poses a significant danger to young bodies and minds, and should be a matter of serious concern for American parents."

"The evidence is overwhelming that marijuana is a dangerous drug," said Joseph A. Califano, Jr., CASA's chairman and president and former U.S. Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. "Parents should recognize--and help their children understand--that playing with marijuana is like playing with fire. More kids are in treatment for marijuana dependence and abuse than ever before, and marijuana is a culprit in an increasing proportion of emergency room visits. Moreover, CASA's latest analysis provides increasing evidence that marijuana is a gateway to other drug use. The more researchers study the drug and the consequences of its use, the clearer it becomes that teens who smoke pot are playing a dangerous game of Russian roulette, not engaging in a harmless rite of passage."

For this study, CASA conducted a special analysis of data from the 2001 U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Youth Risk Behavior Survey of 11,000 ninth through twelfth graders, and found that among teens with no other problem behaviors, those who used marijuana at least once in the past 30 days are 13 times likelier than those who have not to use another drug like cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, LSD or Ecstasy, and almost 26 times likelier than those teens who have never used marijuana to use another drug like cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, LSD or Ecstasy.

Other notable findings include:

Next to alcohol and tobacco, marijuana is the drug of choice for American teens, and it is by far the most widely used illicit drug.

About six times as many teens have tried marijuana as have tried Ecstasy or cocaine.

Among youths aged 12 to 17 who have ever tried marijuana, the mean age of initiation is 13 and a half. The mean age of initiation among adults aged 18 to 25 who have ever tried marijuana is 16.

The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University is the only national organization that brings together under one roof all the professional disciplines needed to study and combat all types of substance abuse as they affect all aspects of society.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Teen Treatment for Marijuana Up 142 Percent [Re: Anno]
    #2586130 - 04/21/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Evil, evil bad marijuana.

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #2587662 - 04/21/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm, comparing the use of marijuana with Russian Roulette...now that's about as accurate as it gets... :wtf:

I also like how they never comment on what these emergency room visits actually entail.  I would bet that the people admitted for addiction treatment are actually there for a different drug and only stated that they also used marijuana.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2587798 - 04/21/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Treatment... for marijuana?

I've never heard of that in my life!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Teen Treatment for Marijuana Up 142 Percent [Re: kindadank]
    #2587807 - 04/21/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

They never said emergency rooms, only emergency departments....that's very vague.
I just wish the gov't would get over itself and start issueing information.
Let us make up our own minds.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Teen Treatment for Marijuana Up 142 Percent [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2606339 - 04/27/04 02:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Why do they lie? If you have to lie to be right then obviously you're wrong :mad:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service