Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!?
    #585797 -

A friend and I went for a small hunt today as it rained a little last night for the first time in months. It was looking like we would find nothing at all - but incredibley we spotted these two on the way back about 5 meters away from the car!

They were both growing directly out of a very dry old cow crap. I recognized them (or atleast I thought I did) instantly as Copelandia cyanescens. Only thing is they haven't bruied blue in the slightest - as you can see when looking at the cracked stem in the photographs. It occured to me that since they've been sitting out in the 30+ degree celsius heat all day long they may have dried out, or all the Psilocybin & Psilocin may have been destroyed (???)

I'm expecting a black spore print, but haven't got around to taking one yet. I'll let you know in a few hours.

Or have I just made a complete misidentification!?





Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #585832 -

Definately not cope cyan. Just a guess but they look more like Panaeolus semiovatus to me.

btw dude, don't lay sharp obects such as pens in your crotch like that, could be hazardous :smile: j/k


--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (03/21/02 10:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: Lizard King]
    #585838 -

Hehe. :smile: Yeah, girl who was watching thought it pretty funny that the crotch was still easily visible. :wink:

Definatley not cope cyans!? They look almost identical to this image I found:


Of course I was immediatley suspect when they didn't go blue. Still, the resembelence is incredible.  I've never actually found copes before but I was 90% sure that this was the first time. They even have a cracked looking top, and since one of my other mates has been finding bucket fulls of them (a few weeks ago) I made the apparantley incorrect assumption.

What color spore print do Panaeolus semiovatus have? Are they edible? Guess they're not pychoactive due to no blueing (?).

Just for reference, these where found in NSW, Australia on a very hot, dry day. Rained slightly the night before. (By 'these' I mean the top two images, not the real Copes that are in this post.)

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (03/21/02 10:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: Lizard King]
    #585927 -

The spore print is jet black - is that the spore print colour for Panaeolus semiovatus?

If it isn't then what else might they be?

Thanks. :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #586026 -

I think the mushrooms you found are Panaeolus antillarum, if the gills had white edges and the spore print was black. But there are many closely related species that need to be considered. They are very common.


Look out for and you might find some of these.

Good hunting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #586166 -

They are panaeolus antillarum. You can find tales of suspected hallucinations from this species which was mis-identified.

int he late 1940s these were acidently called the 'hysteria fungus.'

Which was really Copelandia cyanescens.

Pn. antillarum is not psychoactive.

Here is a rather large panaeolus antillarum image



mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #587667 -

very similar looking shrooms though

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: angryshroom]
    #589194 -

Yeah, those pics don't even do them justice. They looked almost identical to Cyans. Easy to see why they where misidentified for the copes in the 1940s, as MJ pointed out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Copelandia Cyans - or just exact look-a-likes!? [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #592191 -

I was walking in a rice paddie on the last day of the trip in the year of our Lord 200.

I espied the colony of mushrooms in the near distant and as I approached them I thought, "Wow, Copelandia cyanescens." But as I drew closer towards my prey I began to notice a copper-crown shroo in front of me.

Here is the pictures as I photographed them.

The first shows a colony of Psilocybe cubensis and in the middle of the image a grouping of white conic shaped shrooms.which upon later examination turned out to be Panaeolus antillarum

Check out the two images.



The second is a close up of the P. antillarum in the first picture.

.

Spent ten days ont he island and this as all we found.

This i a small enclosed by cocnut and other trees of about 8 to 10 paddies, a quarter of a mile from BAn Hua Thanon, Koh Samui.

After going back to Bangkok and Cambdia, I returned here to Samui later and collected many Copelandia cyanescens and a few cubies.

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Copelandia Cyans (Pictures) cxz 1,137 4 10/19/02 08:19 AM
by Unity333
* Copelandias and Pan Subbs?? (Pictures) cxz 4,376 10 10/21/02 02:21 PM
by cxz
* Re: Weird Baeos Are really CYANS?!?!? The Mule 2,151 6 04/10/00 07:30 PM
by azurescen
* Yard mushrooms look like Pan. Subb's methos 4,817 16 06/17/01 04:34 PM
by methos
* Looks like a liberty cap... Richard_D_James 2,415 5 05/28/01 12:21 PM
by mjshroomer
* Cope Cyans (PICS) cxz 3,023 9 09/13/02 03:11 PM
by Zen Peddler
* Pan Cyan From hunted Grow? xylem 1,525 16 03/04/18 10:14 AM
by Byrain
* Advice on manuer mush please... nimrodd 933 1 10/15/02 08:21 AM
by Gumby

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,899 topic views. 0 members, 15 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.019 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.