Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Fuck, I love David Byrne so much.
    #5226510 -

Here's the latest post from his wonderful Journal.

1.25.06: Selfless

What if there is no self? No such thing as being the unique personalities we think we are? What if, and this is very convoluted, there are even parts of our brains that have evolved to convince us that each of us is unique ? as a cover up or mask for the awful truth? The truth that parts of our brains deceive other parts of our brains. And that this trickery evolved because it?s useful.

It?s not as farfetched as it sounds. If you accept the idea that the propensity for religion might have evolved in our brains and you also accept that it is possible that the self-deception of religion and believing in unlikelihoods might give some kind of evolutionary advantage, then you can transfer this over to our concept of our personalities and ourselves. (This assumes that you view literal interpretations of religious orthodoxy as a form of self-delusion and fantasy.)

So, given that I believe that the brain might have evolved propensities to create believable faith-based fantasies, I am ready to apply it to my view of myself. It?s only fair. If I?m going to claim that religion is a deception, then maybe I myself am a deception as well.

The evolutionary advantage of self-deceptions of various kinds is that in order to go ahead with many activities you need to convince yourself that the activities will be worthwhile, that there will be a payoff down the line. You have to keep the faith. Delayed gratification. And what promises the biggest payoff of all? Religion.



The biggest self-deceptions are that life has a ?meaning? and that each of us is unique. One can see that evolving an inbuilt obscuring mechanism for those depressing insights might be practical. O.K., we are unique, in a sense ? the huge numbers of available combinations of available traits, propensities, body types and experiences that make up each of us is unimaginable ? the number of every possible outcome is immense. Immense, but still restricted within certain boundaries or we wouldn?t be able to recognize these types at all. It?s somehow ?infinite? but always similarly shaped.

But maybe what we think of as self, as us, exists in dogs and even insects. One of them might be just like me. I?m not unique after all. The range is limited, and universal up and down the food chain. So when we stray into the forbidden zone of these kinds of ideas the policeman inside says, ?don?t even think that.? And he says it for our own good.



Anyway, back to the self. Or what used to be the self. Recent Studies (should be a brand name, that) hint that we, and a surprising range of our fellow creatures, have genetic propensities towards a limited range of personalities. What is surprising is that it is not only humans that are shy, aggressive, risk-taking or timid ? but that fruit flies and octopi are too, in almost the same percentages. The point spread is consistent. What we think of as our own special personalities ? well, spiders and flies have them, too.

Not that environment and upbringing have no say in the matter. Being social animals, our brains are partly structured and given a framework by genetics and then experience helps make more connections and fill in the blanks. But the neurons that are being connected are already in place; experience and the environment can only skew things so far.

I wonder then if other qualities besides selfhood that we think of as being unique to ourselves and to human being in general are also present in the animal kingdom? If animals and even insects have ?personalities? then do they also have morality? A sense of right and wrong? It?s not so crazy. Right and wrong could be notions that lend an evolutionary advantage and foster social well-being, and therefore survival of the group. So why shouldn?t animals have these principles too?

What if we go further? Do animals have a sense of humor? Do insects? Ever see one chuckling behind those dead eyes? Do animals have philosophies? In the sense that moral and ethical codes are philosophies applied. Do they have religions? O.K., hyenas don?t built temples and shrines, but do they share with humans that nagging sense that there is something more, something greater? An afterlife maybe? Insect Heaven.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5226580 -

insect heaven must be a place where nothing ever happens!


have you seen the episode of space ghost w/ david byrne? really the only interview on space ghost where the interviewee is stranger than the host.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: Krishna]
    #5226585 -

NO! I must see this!


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5226587 -

:yawn:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5226596 -

i'm going to drink coffee & play chess, but i'll upload it when i get back


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: Krishna]
    #5226602 -

Cool!


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: Krishna]
    #5227589 -



--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: Krishna]
    #5227913 -

"I believe it was Moses who brought the 10 condiments."

"I would like to live in another dimension."

"Im not a crouton man. They are used in a salad to inflate the salad, much like styrofoam packing material"

"I can assume a horizontal positon, for many weeks."

"I myself am a creature from Scotland"

Out of his fucking mind. I like it.


--------------------
On a personal level, Freaking Out is a process whereby an
individual casts off outmoded and restricting standars of
thinking, dress, and social etiquette in order to express
CREATIVELY his relationship to his immediate environment and
the social structure as a whole.

http://www.OrganicPharming.com - Ethno Shopping Portal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fuck, I love David Byrne so much. [Re: InjectTruth]
    #5230714 -

interesting thanks for the link


--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* David Byrne Live in Central Park TONIGHT!!
( 1 2 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 3,910 36 07/08/05 10:42 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* David Byrne Turns a Factory into a Musical Instrument OneMoreRobot3021 1,209 10 10/10/05 03:56 PM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* David Byrne at the Hollywood Bowl
( 1 2 all )
afoaf 2,182 22 06/27/05 09:24 PM
by afoaf
* David Byrne - King of Bonnaroo smurfette 1,488 10 07/24/04 01:56 AM
by speakswithtrees
* I SAW DAVID BYRNE! YouEnjoyMyself 1,143 8 05/12/04 02:08 PM
by OldSpice
* Are you ready to love?
( 1 2 3 all )
AsanteM 2,141 55 03/12/18 05:05 PM
by twighead
* David Byrne - Tiny Apocalypse OneMoreRobot3021 503 6 12/17/05 01:15 PM
by Thin White Duke
* David Cross - "High Times " (Mp3) LearyfanS 3,248 10 07/28/03 08:17 PM
by Learyfan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,293 topic views. 0 members, 54 guests and 181 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.