Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Addictions
    #5127738 - 12/31/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

can one break free from addictions? whether it be an addiction to emotions, thoughts, human drama, physical addiction ie, drug, alcohol, sex.
what would one become if they did break free?
how did you break free from your own harmful addictions that inhibit you from living or achieving what you want out of life?

please add anything else that you would like to say about addictions would be appreciated.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Addictions [Re: spudamore]
    #5127755 - 12/31/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:
what would one become if they did break free?

Why, free, of course.  :grin:

Quote:

how did you break free from your own harmful addictions that inhibit you from living or achieving what you want out of life?

Though I still struggle with some physical addictions (sugar, caffeine, chocolate), I have found that their hold on me lessens as I deal with my emotional addictions.  They seem to be "hangers on" of the greater addictions to anger, unhappiness, fear, control, and security.

As to the greater addictions, Rational Emotive Therapy has assisted me the most in breaking free.  I started with anger, an emotional reaction which I had believed was an integral part of my personal temperament.  The out-of-control, roller-coaster ride of anger had been running my life since I was a toddler throwing tantrums.

RET methods attack the root of the addiction, which is irrational belief.  Once you locate the irrational belief, or beliefs, which underlie the addiction, you actively disprove them.  Then the real work begins: applying this method again and again EVERY time the addiction rears its' ugly head.  *whew*  This is emotionally exhausting at first, but soon becomes second nature. 

"Guide to Rational Living," by Dr. Albert Ellis.  Buy it, read it, wear it out.  :thumbup:

Happy New Year!  :cheers:

please add anything else that you would like to say about addictions would be appreciated.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Re: Addictions [Re: Veritas]
    #5127771 - 12/31/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

not just talking about harmful addictions what about the ones that are good for you?
would you become a vegetable?
thanks for the post V!!
happy new years

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5127777 - 12/31/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I would call "good for you" addictions "healthy habits."  :grin:

The key is freedom in the exercise of those habits.  If you are their slave, then they are addictions.  If you deliberately choose to continue the habit, then it is free action.  If it benefits you, then you are supporting your growth and health.  If not, you are undermining yourself.

Vegetables do not have the ability to choose (as far as we know. :eek:), and so I do not see humans becoming vegetables due to a lack of addictions.  :wink:

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
    #5127869 - 12/31/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

everybody has suffered from some kind of attatchment. i had chemical attatchments and lustful attatchments and sociological attatchments. but see, attatchment, or addictions rather, are both physical and mental. sometimes people get so caught up in life that they don't realize that they're relying on chemicals or other people for their happiness. this can be applied to sex, food, drugs, or basically anything you rely on for happiness or normalcy.

freeing yourself from attatchments is like a breath of fresh air. you are no longer bound to anything that you rely on to feel normal or happy. i think i'll quote Fight Club (laugh if you want), but i think a line in it goes, "it is only once you lose everything that you are free to do anything." i like that quote, whether or not it may or may not apply.

freeing yourself from these attatchments is not hard once you're armed with the knowledge of whats going on and have the will to accept it the way it is. when i had a psychological attatchment to sex, i took all my sexual energy and applied to art, sports or whatever i wanted. i actually found out that bottling up my sexual energy actually aided me and helped me concentrate. it's also great for meditation.

but as far as physical addictions, such as drugs, there are a few ways to get out of it. one way is slowly depleting, by using less and less as you go along, and your bodys need for it becomes less and less and eventually is null. either that, or just taking it away and trying to fight through all the headaches and colds. whenever you feel your need to have more or are in pain, try meditating. understand that the painful feeling of this hunger is merely an illusion created by the brain. distort this image, view it merely as a feeling and a feeling only. let it be and ride it through... you can NOT let it get to you.

well, hope i was of some help... which i probably wasn't. :smile:

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #5129292 - 01/01/06 07:02 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
If you deliberately choose to continue the habit, then it is free action.

would it really be free action if you keep deliberately choosing that habit?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5129303 - 01/01/06 07:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Deliberate decision to act does imply free choice. I would contrast this with decisions made under the duress of an addiction, which interferes with the deliberation process. When choices are forced by an addiction, they are compelled rather than deliberately opted for.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #5129368 - 01/01/06 07:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

what about addiction to depression?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5129380 - 01/01/06 07:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Check out the discussion on this thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4999858/an/0/page/2

It may be that depression is necessary and important, and not an addiction at all. IMO it depends on how you use it. You may want to read Thomas Moore's "The Care of the Soul." His chapter on depression is very thought-provoking.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #5129383 - 01/01/06 07:47 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

awesome thanks V

--------------------

OfflineTheGus
The Walrus

#5129671 - 01/01/06 10:09 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

its incredibly easy for me to break from physical addictions, i dont mind being in pain that much, i just find some way to distract myself

emotional addictions is a considerably harder concept
and i have not learned to break that addiction
but i have learned (just recently) how to control it much better to my advantage (controlling adrenaline is amazing)

--------------------
"It is easier to teach a computer to play chess than to build a mudpie."Sherry Turkle Life on the Screen: Identity in the Age of the Internet
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts"-Einstein
:mrt: I pity the fool who break traffic laws with $870,000 of drugs in the car.      -mo0nlite_sonata
Psythos

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale