Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession
    #4883416 - 11/02/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

WOW

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051102/ap_o...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer Wed Nov 2, 7:40 AM ET

DENVER - Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting early Wednesday, 54 percent, or 56,001 voters, cast ballots for the ordinance, while 46 percent, or 48,632 voters, voted against it.

Under the measure, residents over 21 years old could possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

"We educated voters about the facts that marijuana is less harmful to the user and society than alcohol," said Mason Tvert, campaign organizer for SAFER, or Safer Alternatives For Enjoyable Recreation. "To prohibit adults from making the rational, safer choice to use marijuana is bad public policy."

Bruce Mirken of the Washington, D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project said he hoped the approval will launch a national trend toward legalizing a drug whose enforcement he said causes more problems than it cures.

Seattle, Oakland, Calif., and a few college towns already have laws making possession the lowest law enforcement priority.

The Denver proposal seemed to draw at least as much attention for supporters' campaign tactics as it did for the question of legalizing the drug.

Tvert argued that legalizing marijuana would reduce consumption of alcohol, which he said leads to higher rates of car accidents, domestic and street violence and crime.

The group criticized Mayor John Hickenlooper for opposing the proposal, noting his ownership of a popular brewpub. It also said recent violent crimes — including the shootings of four people last weekend — as a reason to legalize marijuana to steer people away from alcohol use.

Those tactics angered local officials and some voters. Opponents also said it made no sense to prevent prosecution by Denver authorities while marijuana charges are most often filed under state and federal law.

The measure would not affect the medical marijuana law voters approved in 2000. In June, the
U.S. Supreme Court ruled that medical marijuana laws in Colorado and nine other states would not protect licensed users from federal prosecution.

Also Tuesday, voters in the ski resort town of Telluride rejected a proposal to make possession of an ounce or less of marijuana by people 18 or older the town's lowest law enforcement priority. The measure was rejected on a vote of 308-332.

Edited by veggie (11/05/05 09:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: Lana]
    #4883418 - 11/02/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I was just gonna post this :grin: 

I didn't like this part

Quote:

Residents of the Mile High City have voted to legalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults. Authorities, though, said state possession laws will be applied instead.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#4883447 - 11/02/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The fed's wont let it carry.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: Jim]
    #4883525 - 11/02/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GratefulJim said:

It was an official vote on a local law. It carried.

The problem is the whole "Our Fed law is bigger than your, state law, the state law is bigger than your, local law" happy jingle nonsense.

--------------------
:orly:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #4884241 - 11/02/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The problem is it is a law in the city. Does that mean only city cops will obide, or will sherrifs and state cops play nice?

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4884324 - 11/02/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It means that city, state, and sheriff alike will still arrest pot smokers any time they want to in Denver, and charge them with violating the state law.

What is needed now is a referendum to eliminate the state law, and then we're gonna need one to change the federal law. then we can smoke.

haha 'scuse me if I pack one now anyhow

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4884335 - 11/02/05 04:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GratefulJim said:

Also, keep in mind, there is no way to appeal the ABSENCE of a law to the courts.

Juristdictions that REMOVE laws governing pot are all set. The fed can't PUT local or state laws in place, only rule on EXISTING laws' constitutionality.

--------------------

OfflineSirFrancisBacon
Frog
 User Gallery

Loc: low earth orbit
    #4884545 - 11/02/05 04:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I hope this trend continues throughout the country. Also, the Telluride vote was extremely close . . . the times they are a changin.

Microcosmatrix - does your request to be woken in 2008 have something to do with this: http://www.drug-policy.org/modules/countdown_2008

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: SirFrancisBacon]
    #4884993 - 11/02/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Actually no. It has to do with that lying, cheating, low-down son-of-a-fuck of a president we have been stuck with running out of his time in office.

Thanks for sharing that link though!

--------------------

OfflineSirFrancisBacon
Frog
 User Gallery

Loc: low earth orbit
    #4885337 - 11/02/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

check and check

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
    #4887874 - 11/03/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Stay Blue!

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Lana]
    #4889643 - 11/03/05 04:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
    #4889702 - 11/03/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Although they will be charged with state laws, they could use denver as a good fight in court.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: dr_gonz]
    #4890709 - 11/03/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_307081440.html

Quote:

Bob Malamede is a Colorado professional who admits he likes to smoke pot. He's a biology professor at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs.

"I started smoking marijuana when I was 16-years-old, which is when I went to college," Malamede said.

It's obvious from the example of this mans life that marijuana leads to total and unexceptional ruin.

Yeah for the pot movement :rastamon:  :wexican:  :hippie:    :smoker:    :bouncysmoke:      :blazed:    :bigblunt:      :bigjoint:        :gethigh:        :bigweed:          :bong2:          :spliff:            :bongload:            :juggle:            :monkeydance:              :banana:                :celery:                :apple:                  :tomato:                  :fireworship:                    :dj:                    :goodluck:                      :cheers:                      :woot:                        :foshizzle:

And I don't even smoke pot but twice a year or so.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleveggieM

#4892308 - 11/04/05 01:16 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Pot vote prompts worldwide attention
By Alan Gathright, Rocky Mountain News
November 4, 2005 - insidedenver.com

Denver voters may have legalized adult marijuana possession Tuesday, but the political fuming, fighting and "Mile High" fun-poking is just firing up.

Passage of Initiative 100 by 53 percent of voters ostensibly changed city law to legalize private adult possession of 1 ounce or less of pot.

But city law enforcement and political leaders say the vote was merely symbolic, because state law trumps local ordinances. Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey and police officials warn that pot possession will continue to be prosecuted under state law as a petty offense punishable by a maximum $100 fine.

Now, Denver officials are feeling heat and heckling, both from residents outraged that leaders are ignoring the will of the voters and citizens worried the city is going to pot.

Jay Leno unleashed his first Mile High zinger on Wednesday's Tonight Show.

"Fifty-three percent of the people approve of having marijuana in Denver, how about that?" Leno said. "How does that make Bush feel? He's 14 percent behind pot now."

Then there are headlines from Moscow to London toasting Denver as the new U.S. pot capital.

"For the national, and, indeed, the international media, this initiative is a hell of a lot more important than (Referendums) C and D. It's unbelievable," said City Councilman Charlie Brown, an outspoken foe of the marijuana measure, who'd just completed his umpteenth debate with pro-pot point man Mason Tvert, on the MSNBC cable network Thursday.

Brown had already taped a Madison, Wis., talk-radio show and is booked for a national FOX News TV show and a Florida talk-radio fest this weekend.

The councilman slams Tvert for using "Make Denver SAFER" campaign signs and billboards calling for reduced domestic violence. He said voters were flim-flammed into thinking I-100 was about highly publicized concerns about Denver's rising crime and the need for more police.

Tvert counters that Brown and other elected leaders are hypocrites for condemning pot while condoning alcohol use, despite studies showing that alcohol fuels deadly violence, car wrecks and abuse.

Brown said his office has been scorched by profanity-laced e-mails and phone calls - both local and out-of-state - from marijuana backers demanding: "How can you turn down what the voters have commanded?"

"But we've also had calls on the other side from people who are concerned about what this law means for our city and children of Denver.

"Candidly, it is an awkward position to be in, because when the voters speak, they speak," Brown said.

But, he said, the state attorney general, Denver district attorney and city attorney have said the city cannot flout state law.

Said Councilman Michael Hancock: "I think the message is horrendous in this day and age when we're trying to deal with the growth of drug use, particularly by our young people. Once I came out publicly against it, I got quite a few e-mails from across the nation from folks who said: 'Thank you for standing up for our communities on this issue.' "

On TV, Brown said he's trying to defend "Denver's side of the story."

"I think (I-100's passage) was a protest vote by a lot of people who don't think the federal war on drugs is working," the councilman said. "Absolutely, we need a discussion on this stuff . . . But let's not maintain that by passing this, spousal abuse will decline or that this is going to make Denver safer."

Tvert counters that city officials are hiding behind the state law issue, fearful if they enforce I-100 they'll face a law-and-order backlash at the ballot box. "The city attorney and the police and the City Council and the mayor are capable of implementing this," he said. "It's a question of whether they will."

Mayor John Hickenlooper's office has received a couple of dozen calls and e-mails running the spectrum of opinion, said spokeswoman Lindy Eichenbaum Lent.

So far, police spokesman Detective John White said he's received no reports of anyone being arrested for pot possession since the measure passed. But it's only a matter of time, given officers' ticket forms only bear a checkbox for the state marijuana possession violation.

Pinched for pot possession

• City citations for pot posses- sion have dropped from 3,701 cases in 1996 to 2,072 cases in 2004. Percentages are of total arrests and citations.

Year Cases Percentage

1996 3,701 3.6%
1997 3,331 3.3%
1998 3,500 3.4%
1999 3,354 3.4%
2000 3,193 3.4%
2001 2,979 3.4%
2002 2,776 3.4%
2003 2,489 3.5%
2004 2,072 3.2%

Source: Denver Police Department

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: veggie]
    #4931019 - 11/14/05 12:35 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Time has come to legalize marijuana
OPINION By Jack Woehr
November 14, 2005 - insidedenver.com

The Rocky Mountain News editorializes that the city of Denver must enforce the state pot law in the wake of the repeal of the city ordinance by voters, as if some profound prinicple were at stake here ("City must enforce state pot law," Nov. 7). In fact, the marijuana laws of Colorado and the United States are a profound negation of American principle.

First, the marijuana laws are unconstitutional. The Supreme Court denied Woodrow Wilson's attempt to extend wartime prohibition of alcohol to the post-World War I era, necessitating the 18th Amendment, later wisely repealed.

Where is the constitutional amendment enabling marijuana prohibition?

Next, the laws were founded and steeped in racism against Mexicans and African-Americans. A perusal of the Congressional Record for 1939 is educational in this regard, albeit shocking to modern sensibilities.

Third, the laws make no sense. Although Mayor John Hickenlooper frets about marijuana as a "gateway drug," all reputable research suggests that much more easily obtainable cigarettes and alcohol are the "gateway drugs" of America's youth. Shall we lock up Hickenlooper himself in a cell with the Coors family?

Finally, the entire drug panic in American life is like a national mental illness. The fanatical element of this vice crusade was instituted by two presidents (Nixon and Reagan) in whose adminstrations the CIA undisputably engaged in massive drug smuggling. This crusade has effectively elevated the laws of contraband above the laws of theft and murder; has institutionalized the suborning of perjury in the federal prosecutorial organs; has chipped away at several items of the Bill of Rights such as the Fourth Amendment; has corrupted the intelligence organs of the world with a wash of easy drug money; has erected narcocracies and terror in parts of Latin America and Asia; all without making much of a dent in consumption.

What sort of inhumanity spawns the belief that the vice of a drug habit can be stemmed by draconian law enforcement? Or that such a practice enhances the safety or comity of our civilization? The religious prohibition of alcohol in the Muslim world has been vigorously enforced since the seventh century, yet millions of Muslims still drink: Is that a model for America? Better to take the money and erect Betty Ford clinics for the poor, and to frown on the vice through social disapprobation, as we do with other vices.

Smoking pot is indeed a vice. It can sap the will and damage the lungs. But overall, marijuana is indeed safer than alcohol, as all but the purchased science of the prohibitionists recognizes.

The acrid smell of marijuana smoke pervades modern American culture. Petty vice will always be with us. Pot just ain't worth the fanatical and hopeless effort to extirpate it. It's time to give up the crusade and legalize marijuana.

Jack Woehr has three times been on the ballot for public office in Colorado on a platform of ending the war on drugs.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4931087 - 11/14/05 01:22 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

RIGHT ON!!! I'm moving out there!

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

#5003626 - 12/01/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Man Challenges Pot Ticket Using Denver's I-100 Measure
December 1, 2005 - thedenverchannel.com

DENVER -- A Denver resident is using the recently passed I-100 measure to challenge a ticket he received for possessing pot.

Real estate consultant Eric Footer is headed to court Thursday to challenge his arrest on a marijuana possession charge.

Footer said he thought there'd be no problem when a police officer found marijuana in his car because he thought possession was legal in Denver.

Denver voters last month passed I-100 which allows adults 21 years and older to carry and use up to one ounce of marijuana.

Authorities say the initiative passed last month is virtually meaningless because of state and federal laws that make even small amounts of marijuana illegal.

Footer thinks that's wrong. He says he doesn't understand why authorities aren't enforcing the new city ordinance.

The group Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation or SAFER is speaking out and telling us the first person cited will be the first to take the case to trial.

Footer is getting legal support from proponents of legalizing marijuana. He plans to go to court Thursday and refuse to pay $200 in state fines.

Court officials say a date for his arraignment will be set.

* Related Story: Pot fight planned over possession citation

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

#5008917 - 12/03/05 12:34 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Let the battle begin. :box:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Denver Voters OK Marijuana Possession [Re: Trav]
    #5010171 - 12/03/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The thing is that they aren't charging him with a city offense. He will be charged under state law, which the city of Denver clearly falls under.

He doesn't have a case unless there is some law that states that a city official may only indict on a city offense. Which I'm sure there's not.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale