Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are here
    #487430 - 12/11/01 01:27 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: psilocyber]
    #487446 - 12/11/01 01:41 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are here [Re: MicronMagick]
    #487511 - 12/11/01 02:41 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Invisiblealtarego
Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are [Re: psilocyber]
    #487729 - 12/11/01 05:35 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

PC -

Would you mind explaining how you came to isolate each of these two strains?

Is strain A a substrain of B (from a multispore innoculation of B?) Or are they both substrains of another?

Did you do a pure strain isolation from a sclerotia, call it the A strain, then fruit it?

Have you found that spores from both reliably mimic their parent strain?

I'm still trying (even after years of working with fungi) to sort out the subtleties of mushroom genetics, and any answer would help in that effort.

Best,
AE

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are [Re: altarego]
    #487943 - 12/11/01 08:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I also would love to hear about this...

We have been hearing "workman is working on blablabla", I'd love to hear how he goes about doing it. Answering alterego's questions would give us some idea...

Thanks
Oq

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are [Re: altarego]
    #488081 - 12/11/01 10:45 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a picture of the original collection of 7 dried wild harvested mexicana caps as I received them. Usually I deal with sporeprints but the mushrooms didn't drop spores so I desperately requested and received the dried material for an attempt at spore extraction.

I started my experiments with the 2 caps labeled A and B in the photo. The were the best looking mature large caps. I especially liked the pronounced nipple on the A cap. I was successful with both attempts and retrieved clean mycelium after a few transfers in petri dishes.

Fruiting trials proved that the B-strain was a prolific fruiter and "A" only developed mushrooms belately and sparsely. Since I wanted spores I concentrated on the B-strain and all but ignored the A-strain. Fortunately, I let a friend work with both strains and he tipped me off on the sclerotia potential of "A".

So to answer the questions in order.

A is not a substrain of B. They were both collected individually from the wild at the same general locality and it is unknown how closely related they are.

A was fruited first, then tested for sclerotia ability.

Surprisingly enough, the mexicana strains seem remarkably stable from multispore innoculations. I have done more with the B strain and all isolates seem very similar with differences as easily attributed to environmental factors as to genetics. One thing of note is that noone (including myself) has isolated a decent invitro sclerotia former from the B-strain. It just doesn't seem to have the right genes regardless of the recombination expected with multispore culturing and isolation.

Less work has been done with the A-strain but at least sclerotia formation seems stable. This doesn't mean you shouldn't isolate the best strains possible from spores if you have the means to do so. It does mean that you shouldn't suffer too much from multispore inoculations if that is all you are set up to do.

There are 5 more mushrooms caps from that collection that need to be tested for desireable characteristics. Is it possible that I just arbitrarily chose the best fruiter and sclerotia former from the bunch, or is there something better hidden in those dry mushrooms?

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are [Re: Workman]
    #488511 - 12/12/01 10:19 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Kudos to you guys.. a very creative idea.

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Re: P. mexicana Strain-A (Sclerotia) syringes are [Re: Workman]
    #488514 - 12/12/01 10:21 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome Workman,

So you actually extracted spores from the dried specimen to begin a multispore agar innoculation. Damn.. you are good!!

I'm definitely going to get a print of the A variety for dude to work with when I save up some money...

Oq

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order