Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
First live giant squid photographed in the wild
    #4722574 - 09/27/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

link

Quote:

Holy Squid! Photos Offer First Glimpse of Live Deep-Sea Giant
James Owen
for National Geographic News
September 27, 2005

Like something straight out of a Jules Verne novel, an enormous tentacled creature looms out of the inky blackness of the deep Pacific waters.

But this isn't science fiction. A set of extraordinary images captured by Japanese scientists marks the first-ever record of a live giant squid (Architeuthis) in the wild.

The animal?which measures roughly 25 feet (8 meters) long?was photographed 2,950 feet (900 meters) beneath the North Pacific Ocean. Japanese scientists attracted the squid toward cameras attached to a baited fishing line.

The scientists say they snapped more than 500 images of the massive cephalopod before it broke free after snagging itself on a hook. They also recovered one of the giant squid's two longest tentacles, which severed during its struggle.

The photo sequence, taken off Japan's Ogasawara Islands in September 2004, shows the squid homing in on the baited line and enveloping it in "a ball of tentacles."

Tsunemi Kubodera of the National Science Museum in Tokyo and Kyoichi Mori of the Ogasawara Whale Watching Association report their observations this week in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

"Architeuthis appears to be a much more active predator than previously suspected, using its elongated feeding tentacles to strike and tangle prey," the researchers write.

They add that the squid was found feeding at depths where no light penetrates even during the day.

Giant Breakthrough

Despite people's fascination with this deep-sea behemoth, the giant squid's life and habits have remained largely a mystery. The little information known has been mostly based on dead and dying specimens that were caught by commercial fishing boats or washed ashore.

The mysterious creature has inspired countless sea monster tales and has been the subject of various scientific expeditions.

Since the mid 1990s there have been a number of research trips in search of giant squid. Cameras attached to deep-diving subs or sperm whales have been used to try to capture the elusive animals on film, but without success.

The Japanese researchers used sperm whales as guides to help them pinpoint likely giant squid haunts. Over the years whalers have reported finding a high number of large squid beaks in the mammals' stomachs, pegging sperm whales as primary predators of large squid.

The images are generating considerable excitement among squid experts.

"I think it's wonderful that we've finally got a picture of a living giant squid," said Richard Ellis, a research associate at the American Museum of Natural History in New York and author of The Search for the Giant Squid.

"I thought it would only be a matter of time before someone got images of Architeuthis," he added.

"After all, it's not an endangered species, not even all that rare, and it's one of the largest of all invertebrates. So the Japanese film finally breaks through and renders the statement 'nobody has ever seen a living giant squid' inoperative."

Squid expert Martin Collins of the British Antarctic Survey based in Cambridge, England, says the new images are a "fantastic" achievement.

The marine biologist says he was skeptical that a dedicated giant squid hunt would succeed. He thought the first wild sighting would probably come by accident.

"Fair play to these guys who've made the effort, gone out there and looked in what they thought was a good area, and found it," he said.

Hunting for Clues

Collins is especially interested in clues the images might provide to the way giant squid swim and hunt in the deep ocean.

"Seeing the animals on film gives you a tremendous insight into how they live down there," he said. "It shows they are pretty active animals, and that answers a big question that's been out there for some time."

Collins says there were two competing schools of thought among giant squid experts.

"One was the idea that [giant squid] were fairly inactive and just drifted around, dangling their tentacles below them like fishing lures to catch what came by," he said.

"The other theory was that they were actually quite active. This new evidence supports this, suggesting they are active predators which can move reasonably quickly."

"The efforts the squid went to untangle itself [from the baited fishing line] also shows they are capable of quite strong and rapid movement," he added.

The study team reports that the severed tentacle repeatedly gripped the boat deck and crew after it was hauled aboard. The squid's tentacles are armed with suckers, each ringed with tiny teeth to help snare prey.

Measuring 18 feet (5.5 meters) long, analysis of the tentacle confirmed it came from a giant squid and allowed the researchers to estimate the total length of the animal.

But the researchers caution that their data assume the tentacle was severed at its base. If not, the squid may have been considerably larger. The longest giant squid on record measured 59 feet (18 meters), including its two elongated tentacles.

Shedding Light on Giant Squid

Giant squid, along with their close cousins colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis), have the largest eyes of any animal.

"Giant squid do have particularly large eyes, which would suggest vision is important to them. Having a large eye isn't unusual in deep-sea animals?you see it quite often in fish."

The fact that the animal caught on film was swimming in total darkness suggests the species detects prey using alternative light sources. "The only light down there is likely to be light produced by other animals," said Collins of the British Antarctic Survey.

The Japanese team thinks that research techniques similar to their own could be used to bring about more close encounters with giant squid. Ellis of the American Museum of Natural History agrees.

"I'm sure we can learn a lot from an analysis of these images," he said. "And now that we have an idea of where to look for [the squid], we will undoubtedly get more pictures."

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Silversoul]
    #4722607 - 09/27/05 11:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

HOLY SHIT!

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4722640 - 09/27/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

WOAH! I remember hearing stories of giant squids as a child and only really half-believing them. Even after seeing pics of dead specimens...they seemed so rare that I never really thought I'd get to see pics of a LIVING one!!!

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflinetheBRINK
horse on moon
 User Gallery

Loc: the moon
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4722641 - 09/27/05 11:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

and all this time i thought they were tryin to pull a 'nessy' nah.. about time they've finally spotted one of these guys alive... good find man

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: trendal]
    #4722650 - 09/27/05 11:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Goes to show you just how unexplored our oceans really are.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4722681 - 09/27/05 11:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh DEFINITELY man! I can't remember the exact number, but I've heard that something like 80-90% of the oceans remain essentially unexplored.

Here's a video I cut from a documentary I have. These videos were all taken on the DEEP ocean floor. The animals shown are so bizarre....like looking at aliens.

http://www.trendal.org/av/ocean.avi

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineMaJikFungus
There's a Fungusin my closet

Loc: School of Athens
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: trendal]
    #4722802 - 09/28/05 12:12 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

For all intensive purposes , they are aliens. In that they live in a world which differes from ours so profoundly. No sun light , freezing cold temperatures , and immense pressures. Yet life still finds an way to adapt and thrive.

Studying life in the deepest depths can teach us a great deal about what life may be like on other planets. We've only explored a fraction of our own oceans , and there is still countless forms of life which we havent discovered. Just think of what awaits us on other plants.

--------------------

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: MaJikFungus]
    #4722994 - 09/28/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

For all *intents and purposes

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #4723600 - 09/28/05 03:10 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That's great that we finally have pictures of a living specimen, but did they really need to rip it's tentacle off? No wonder these things like to hide from us.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

OfflineTranceharper
Psychokitty

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Androctonus]
    #4723635 - 09/28/05 03:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Amazing , Aliens yes they are ... It is amazing we know much less about parts of the ocean on our own planet, then we do about many parts of space outside our own atmosphere , On the note of nessy, I would not doubt there is some kind , or some kind(s) of leftovers from the age of the dinosaurs below the waters of our oceans, there are fish , though name I cannot remember, that were thought exstinct ages ago, that was caught off the coast of ( africa I think it was ? ) what else is down there, we dont know, but I am sure ... There are some very amazing discoveries waiting to be seen ... -Tranceharper

--------------------
Meow ===^{o_o}^===

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Tranceharper]
    #4723714 - 09/28/05 03:41 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Tranceharper said:
there are fish , though name I cannot remember, that were thought exstinct ages ago, that was caught off the coast of ( africa I think it was ? ) what else is down there, we dont know, but I am sure ... There are some very amazing discoveries waiting to be seen ... -Tranceharper

I think the name of the fish you are referring to is the Coelacanth.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

OfflineTranceharper
Psychokitty

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Androctonus]
    #4724018 - 09/28/05 05:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes Androctonus you are right :smile: thanks . Coelacanth is the name :wink: -Tranceharper

--------------------
Meow ===^{o_o}^===

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4724054 - 09/28/05 06:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I saw something about these on the discovery channel, and something about similar things in the water. Yes, these are very interesting! The largest giant squid on record is 60 feet, that is stretched out tenticles and all :smile: And their eyes are comparable to the size of a volleyball!

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Edited by Locus (09/28/05 07:02 AM)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4725305 - 09/28/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow. How awesome.

But I feel bad for the Squid's severed tentacle. Can Squids grow their tentacles back?

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4725845 - 09/28/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
Wow. How awesome.

But I feel bad for the Squid's severed tentacle. Can Squids grow their tentacles back?

I would imagine so. In fact, I think that the healing process tends to be much faster and easier for invertebrates like the squid.

--------------------

OfflineJaimie
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Canada
    #4726123 - 09/28/05 06:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

WOW!!! I'm amazed. This made my day! :smile:

--------------------

Sitting in the silent twilight rapture
Could it be too hard to capture
This velvet moment of serenity

OfflineTheDudeAbides
Livin Off FrostyBarley Pops andPork Soda
 User Gallery

Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Jaimie]
    #4729459 - 09/29/05 03:44 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow - I have always wanted to see a picture of one of these bastards alive...

Wish it had a better shot of the eye though....Something very mystic about a squids eye to me :shrug:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4733081 - 09/29/05 08:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Squid can drop a tentacle like a lizard drops his tail...but was it really necessary to damage it? Very cool images though.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Anonymous

Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4733166 - 09/29/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

They also recovered one of the giant squid's two longest tentacles, which severed during its struggle.

Apparently, none of you have comprehension skills and just looked at the pretty pictures.  :laugh: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :syringe: :crazy2: :mad2: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: First live giant squid photographed in the wild [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4733329 - 09/29/05 09:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:

No, they cannot, but it will live.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Science and Technology