Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hot Sauce, Tacos

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Tacos (again)
    #4624922 - 09/06/05 11:10 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Damn I eat ALOT of tacos....

I have to, its cheep, delicious and corn tortillas come 60 to a pack for under a buck....

Yesterday I picked up:
3lbs of "Extra lean pork stew for carnitas"  for $1.69lb.
5 large tomatoes  $1.30
2 white onions .79
1 bunch cilantro .25

In a saute pan I seared the pork cubes with a little oil, salt and pepper.
Then put the pork into a cake pan with one chopped onion and two chopped tomatoes along with some jalapeno (.99can) and one large can of green enchilada sauce (.99can).
Cover tight with tin foil and bake at 250 for 4 hours.

When this comes out of the oven you can literally smash the pork cubes with a fork and the meat just shreds apart.  Fish out some onion, tomato and jalapeno and stir into a bowl...

Then you fry it :grin:...  Yup, take some canola oil in a skillet and get it hot and batch by batch  fry the cooked and shredded pork till crispy.    This is how you get gringo style pork carnitas that will make you tear up its soo good..

Heat two corn tortillas and fill with the meat, top with diced tomato, onion and fresh cilantro, squirt with lemon and hot sauce and eat up...

All this cost me around $10 and Ill be eating it for 5 meals.

I dont think Ill ever shop anywhere other than the local mexican markets.  Prices are less than half of Albertsons and the quality is just as good.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Tacos (again) [Re: GabbaDj]
    #4624961 - 09/06/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That sounds so incredibly good. I'm sure I'd fuck it up though. I'm a horrible cook.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

Re: Tacos (again) [Re: GabbaDj]
    #4625850 - 09/06/05 04:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

wow this sounds really yummy. and i found a great enchillada sauce recipe too on the net!

just one question...how does extra lean pork for carnitas look like? i know it's a really lame question, but all the meat here is labelled in finnish and i only buy the right type of meat by how it looks like :frown:

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Tacos (again) [Re: boO]
    #4626510 - 09/06/05 07:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well its really just pork stew meat but in a mexican market its usualy called "for carnitas" since thats what 90% of them use it for..

You can go anywhere and ask for pork shoulder boneless. It should be the same all around the world.

As for the "extra lean" part of the lable, dont be fooled. The meat should have a good amount of fat on it to make it shread apart and be tasty. The fat will simply melt away in the oven and the enchelada sauce will soak into the meat..

Frying it is optional but it really adds a good flavor and texture.

I know a restaurant that deep frys the the pork first and then just tosses them in a little sauce and spices, wraps and bakes it all for hours. The result is a juicy shreaded pork mexican style thats alot like good southern BB-Q. Great for nachos.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hot Sauce, Tacos

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing