Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
UK clubbers 'turn to ketamine' - DrugScope Survey
    #4623680 - 09/05/05 08:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

UK clubbers 'turn to ketamine'
September 5, 2005 - BBC

Ketamine, an anaesthetic commonly used by vets, is becoming increasingly common on Britain's drugs scene, according to leading charity DrugScope.

Researchers surveyed drug prices in 15 towns and cities and found ketamine on sale in eight. It did not feature at all in the same survey last year.

The drug is currently legal to possess but the government intends to make it class C before the end of 2005.

DrugScope also found ecstasy for sale at just 50p a pill in Portsmouth.

'Out of body' effect

Ketamine is a general anaesthetic which has been used in hospitals and in veterinary medicine since the 1970s.

Among recreational users it is also known as K or Special K and can be in powder, tablet or liquid form.

Effects depend on the dose but users report euphoria, hallucinations and "dissociative" feelings in which mind and body seem to separate.

It can be dangerous when taken in conjunction with alcohol or other depressants and users can be unable to move or feel pain while on the drug.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that ketamine use has been gradually increasing for several years but it has only recently become popular.

"Ketamine has now established its place alongside the usual dance scene drugs like ecstasy," said one Nottingham drugs worker.

The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs has recommended that ketamine be made a class C drug alongside cannabis and some tranquilisers.

A Home Office spokesman said ministers had committed to achieving this by the end of the year.

Two-for-one crack deals

The DrugScope survey - in which researchers spoke to 40 frontline drugs agencies in a range of places from Glasgow to Torquay - also found new trends in the way drugs are sold.

One common development is heroin and crack being sold together in "two for one" or other discounted deals.

And in Portsmouth the price of heroin has halved in the past year, a move accompanied by dealers advertising their wares with calling cards placed near needle exchanges.

Jason Roberts, a drugs project worker in the city, said: "We have seen a huge increase in clients [drug users] over the last 12 months.

"Portsmouth is a lovely city and there is not that much crime, but the drugs problem is massive."

Regional differences

However, the place with the cheapest heroin was Sheffield at ?25 a gram.

The survey also highlights regional differences such as the fact that crack is rarely sold in Belfast and Glasgow.

Users in these cities prefer to buy cocaine powder and convert it to crack themselves, according to drugs workers on the ground.

"We are seeing significant regional variations in both drug usage and drug markets," said Harry Shapiro, editor of Druglink magazine which published the survey.

"The emergence of ketamine as a key substance of choice is and entirely new phenomenon since we last carried out the survey in 2004 when it didn't figure at all."

* Related Stories:
Drugs prices on Glasgow's streets have 'fallen by 50%'
Cardiff cannabis 'cheapest in UK'
Ecstasy tablet cost 'plummets'
Survey shows cocaine price fall
Table of UK street drug prices 2005

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekingdavid88
cow tipper
Male

Loc: UK
Re: UK clubbers 'turn to ketamine' - DrugScope Survey [Re: veggie]
    #6823034 - 04/23/07 02:43 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

that can't be true ketamin aint a clubbing drug it messes with peoples heads and causes people do strange things not rave....

OfflineDadeMurphy
H4x0r

Re: UK clubbers 'turn to ketamine' - DrugScope Survey [Re: kingdavid88]
    #6823128 - 04/23/07 03:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Lots of people take ketamine at raves/parties. It's nothing new.
When K is insufflated in smaller amounts it is less trippy/incapacitating, more like a weird drunk feeling.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: UK clubbers 'turn to ketamine' - DrugScope Survey [Re: DadeMurphy]
    #6823346 - 04/23/07 03:56 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I took a couple bumps of K for the first time last night. It just gave me a body buzz...kinda like my body was drunk, but my mind was still thinking normal. I could definately see how it would be fun at a party. I did a couple whipits after the bumps and that was very strange. I felt seperated...almost like my mind was sitting 2 feet to the right of my body...it was quite interesting.

--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service