Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Uk to review classification of all drugs
    #2277354 - 01/27/04 12:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The government's advisers are to review the system of classifying illegal drugs, an exercise which may pave the way for a further overhaul of the narcotics laws.
They plan to review the harmful effects of all the substances governed by the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act, which seems sure to revive the debate about whether ecstasy should continue to rank with cocaine, crack, heroin, LSD and magic mushrooms.

The relaxation of penalties on cannabis ,which takes effect on Thursday, is the first substantial change for 30 years.

Sir Michael Rawlins, chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, which recommended the cannabis changes in the 1980s, said yesterday that it was time to consider whether to go further.

He said his members were investigating new ways of measuring the relative harmfulness of all illegal drugs, which are at present classified as A, B and C, with A being judged the most harmful and attracting the biggest penalty for possession, up to seven years in prison.

He said: "Quite clearly these things can't be locked into aspic for all time. If you are going down the route of having classification of drugs you do need to have an arrangement whereby they are reviewed from time to time."

Sir Michael, professor of pharmacology at Newcastle University, insisted that he did not have a view on ecstasy, but said the council planned "a systematic trawl" through the rankings, which have been unchanged since the early 1970s.

The council, established by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, divided drugs into the three categories. "The basis on which it did it nobody knows. The records do not explain why... The basis on which any of the things were classified is obscure from reading the minutes. They won't tell you."

Any new system would try to bring "more objectivity into the whole process," Sir Michael said. "There won't be anything out in a hurry. It will take a year or two before you see anything come around."

He said "things may shift", but added: "I think it would be wholly unlikely that amphetamines [now class B] would be made class C, for example. But we must make sure these things don't get locked into a time warp."

His remarks suggest that the system could face a far bigger shake-up than that envisaged by David Blunkett, the home secretary, when he decided the cannabis penalties could be changed.

The council's remit is to "keep under review" drugs whose "misuse appears... capable of having harmful effects sufficient to constitute a social problem".

It can make its own recommendations, as it did on cannabis, but home secretaries are not obliged to act on them. It suggested changing cannabis from class B to class C because the status was "disproportionate" in relation to both its inherent toxicity and that of other drugs, such as amphetamines, which attracted the same maximum penalty for possession of five years in jail.

But it made it clear that cannabis was "still unquestionably harmful".

Last night Mr Blunkett once again ruled out any change of status for ecstasy because, he said, it killed "unpredictably".

The independent Police Foundation inquiry into the Misuse of Drugs Act in 2000 recommended changing ecstasy's classification from class A to class B in the light of evidence it may be "several thousand times less dangerous than heroin" and not as addictive as other class A drugs.

MPs on the Commons home affairs select committee made a similar plea last summer. Ecstasy's use is thought to have declined recently but Nick Stevenson of the magazine Mixmag recently said it was still "the number one drug of choice for clubbers".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpolitics/story/0,3605,1131971,00.html

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: MetaShroom]
    #2277454 - 01/27/04 01:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Shame no one seems to be trying to get dryed shrooms down to b or c, i fear
that they will soon push fresh shrooms upto a as well :frown:

--------------------
er

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2277984 - 01/27/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure about the "several thousand times less dangerous than heroin" bullshit. Pure heroin is one of the most physically benign substances known to man. It can be addictive in some people when used regularly and causes constipation but apart from that every "danger" of heroin is to do with it being illegal, not the drug itself.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #2278683 - 01/27/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Its good that they're reviewing drugs. Even if nothing changes atleast they aren't being like the US that says they're bad no matter what and we're not going to change.

Alex, one step at a time. Fresh ones are legal, thats a big help to making dry ones legal. Pot is moving, and now they're looking at X and reviewing all drugs. Thats not bad as far as I'm concerned. If three drugs change then it makes it much easier for others to.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: DailyPot]
    #2283851 - 01/29/04 02:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Who cares if they ever make dried shrooms legal? Sure, it would be nice, but it's very easy to make a drying chamber with desiccant.

Consider yourself lucky. We've got nothing in the US.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: Learyfan]
    #2284359 - 01/29/04 04:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You dont quite understand, dryed mushrooms are a class a drug, mainly
because since the 60s thats how they were sold, fresh are only legal
due to one mycologists letters asking that fresh wild mushrooms not be made
illegal due to mycologists finding them selves in trouble for
there hobby, now with the rise of growing in the uk, the government are
more likely to make all cubensis and other non native Psilocybe
mushrooms class a drugs. So yes we are lucky, but only due to a small loop
hole, one I fear is closing fast.

--------------------
er

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: G a n j a]
    #2286034 - 01/30/04 03:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think there was a shroom legal case in the seventies where the judge ruled that just because a plant contained an illegal drug you couldn't make the plant illegal.

I wouldn't put anything past Blair because he's furthur to the right than Thatcher, but I find it hard to believe they could make fresh shrooms illegal overnight.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: G a n j a]
    #2286649 - 01/30/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You guys should buy a shitload of them and then dry them if you ever hear that the loop hole is closing.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#2286779 - 01/30/04 12:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Id much rather grow shit loads :smile: like i already do.

--------------------
er

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2287067 - 01/30/04 02:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Plans are already in place to cover all eventualities... :smile2:

OfflineSorceroom
Mycophile
Loc: Nottingham, England
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: Xlea321]
    #2287421 - 01/30/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If fresh mushrooms become controlled which I imagine they will, it wont be for some time. It takes a while for these things to happen :smile:If the worst does happen, we still have liberty caps a-plenty! :wink:

--------------------
You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2290585 - 01/31/04 10:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What I find so strange is the British government has downgraded cannabis to class C yet have tightened the law on home cultivation therefore pushing users into buying weed off dealers who sell harder drugs such as crack & heroin rather than growing their own personal stash!  :wtf:

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Uk to review classification of all drugs [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2301142 - 02/04/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Bi0TeK said:
What I find so strange is the British government has downgraded cannabis to class C yet have tightened the law on home cultivation therefore pushing users into buying weed off dealers who sell harder drugs such as crack & heroin rather than growing their own personal stash!  :wtf:

Alot of times after making a 'stupid' move like that they talk about it and deside that they made a mistake and that it actually makes more sense to do this so they reduce the laws to less than they were before. Or its possible they might start selling it now...

On a 2nd note, the chances of getting caught for cultivativation of cannabis for personal use is extreamely small. How would the government begin to suspect you? Let alone show compelling evidence to a judge saying its likely (if UK search warent laws are anything like the US') ?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service