Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
I just watched DePalma's Scarface.
    #4459910 - 07/27/05 02:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I was left with the feeling that this version had been censored, some scenes deleted. Is there a scene where Tony walks in a dining room (or restaurant?) and shoots everybody? It may be that I'm confusing it with another movie. Somebody help, this is bothering me.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: ummikko]
    #4460083 - 07/27/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Um... I don't remember that.

There's a part in the Godfather where Pacino shoots several people and then walks out, maybe you're thinking of that.

Anyone ever see the original Howard Hughes Scarface? From 1936 or so... it's one of those movies that seems way ahead of its time, it has a very modern feeling, kind of like an early take on the blockbuster style of filmmaking.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: Phluck]
    #4460086 - 07/27/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hm, no I haven't seen that. I'd like to.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #4460089 - 07/27/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

1932. No, I haven't seen it. Is it hard to find?

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4460100 - 07/27/05 02:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Probably not too hard to find, I'll bet there's been a DVD release. When I watched it I got it off bittorrent, but this was like 6 months ago.

I wouldn't be suprised if Blockbuster or other big chain stores had it, but if they don't smaller independant video stores definitely will. Having a good independant video place, with an interesting collection of films nearby is always a good thing.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #4460164 - 07/27/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

The 1932 Scarface is hands down the best gangster movie I've ever seen. My avatar is actually from that movie. I fucking love it.

Watching Tony Camonte go into a homicidal crazy rage for the last ten minutes of the film and hearing his sadistic crazed laugh puts Al Pacino's coked up homicidal rage to shame.

Interesting note, the 1932 film was actually the first film to ever have product placement. Owl Cigars paid $250,000 to be able to say that Tony Camonte was smoking their cigars throughout the film even though he was smoking a different kind.

Another interesting note was that when Al Capone heard about the film he felt threatened and demanded that Howard Hughes set up a private screening for him so he could judge whether he liked it or not. Hughes is reported to have said "If the big shot wants to see it, he'll have to buy a ticket like everyone else".

Another story is that Capone sent two representatives to see screen writer Ben Hecht about the film and it's possible representation of Capone. Hecht who was a Chicago street reporter and well-acquainted with the Mob and "tough guys" told the two men that the film was based on a loose representation of many different mobster that Hecht had met and was only being called Scarface as a ruse to get the public to go see the movie. Hecht said something like "Mr. Capone is one of the most fascinating men of our time and were using that heat to get people to get people to see our movie, that's the business of show business gentlemen". The two men who could appreciate a good racket soon left.

Interesting post script to all this, Al Capone is said to have liked the film so much that he bought his own copy.

Another interesting note, the reason this film was so over the top for it's time is that it was a independent production free from the touch of the studios and the censors of the time. And you can read online about the major battles between Hughes and regional censors of the time over the film.

Also, just to speak of the violence in the movie, it's hilarious. The best scene is when the two main characters get a machine gun for the first time. I won't spoil it but you need to see this fucking movie.

Make sure to get the 1932 version too. The one directed by Hawks, Produced by Hughes, and Starring Muni and Raft. The 1937 version is a terrible movie.

In short though and once again it's the greatest most stylized (notice the "X" theme throughout the whole movie, that's because back in the height of gangsterdom in the 20s and 30s, whenever a gangster would get shot in the newspaper the next day there'd be a giant X over the picture of the mobster) gangster film ever made.

I really like the 1983 Scarface too  :thumbup: :grin:

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (07/27/05 03:38 PM)

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4460210 - 07/27/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've never liked Scarface and thought it was vastly over rated

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
    #4460311 - 07/27/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

In the 1932 version it's not tony it's fuckin Al Capone you no flaming.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

Edited by gdman (07/27/05 04:10 PM)

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #4460335 - 07/27/05 04:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

?

--------------------

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4460345 - 07/27/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

=]

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4460357 - 07/27/05 04:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023427/

Look, the 1932 movie, and his name is "Antonio 'Tony' Camonte".

You go and flame the guy when you're completely wrong. That's silly.

--------------------

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

#4460365 - 07/27/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

But it's based on Al Capone. Hence the name scarface. Phluck smells.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4460375 - 07/27/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Not really, the name Scarface was for marketing. I know you OTDers have trouble reading more than a few words at a time, but phatwhitey explained all this in his post.

Quote:

Hecht who was a Chicago street reporter and well-acquainted with the Mob and "tough guys" told the two men that the film was based on a loose representation of many different mobsters that Hecht had met and was only being called Scarface as a ruse to get the public to go see the movie.

You said "it's not Tony, it's Al Capone", which is pretty dumb, because the character is NAMED TONY.

Basically, you were completely wrong.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: Noetical]
    #4460381 - 07/27/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

noeticbuzz said:
I've never liked Scarface and thought it was vastly over rated

I thought that scarface was an excellent allegory of the american dream. Tony Montana comes to the US a penniless imigrant. Through his viscious lack of regard for human life, he rises to the top. But when he gets there, he realizes that being at the top isn't all its cracked up to be. Its no surprise that this movie is very popular with corporate CEO's and movie stars alike.

I've yet to see an episode of MTV's 'Cribs' (the modern version of 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous') where some rich celebrity didn't have a picture of Scarface in their home.

my personal favorite scene in the movie is when Scarface takes out Frank, his boss, and that crooked detective. In that moment, Montana realizes that there is no honor among theives, and he looses all faith in humanity, and finally decides 'Fuck it, I'm takin over.' The music and the emotion in that scene is so powerful, and I have identified with it so many times in life when people have let me down, time and time again. You can't trust anyone in this world but yourself, and I think this film conveys that message perfectly.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. *DELETED* [Re: Phluck]
    #4460382 - 07/27/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by gdman

Reason for deletion: see ya in 24

--------------------

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4460418 - 07/27/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think Tony Montana was a true humanitarian. When he originally got to this country he had to revert to what his options were and what he did best to get him out of the camp. And then to get out of the dish washing gig he had to revert back to his old bad habits. Then after that he's set on a path where he only encounters sleazy and bad people which also accounts for his increasing drug use throughout the film. Towards the end, I think that's why he wants to find Manny so bad because he's the one person he can trust and then when he sees that Manny has betrayed him, he pops him and that's the point of no return for his character where he's been used and fucked by every person around him.

Tony Montana was a man who had nothing but his balls and his word. With those two things, there's not a lot of positions in management for a guy fresh off a boat with a accent and a temper. So he did what he had to do.

In the film one of the his most famous lines is "I never fucked over anyone that didn't have it coming to 'em". I truly believe Montana was a good man in a bad business. Oliver Stone the screenwriter said that he noticed a trend in all these guys in this business and how they all seem to end up the same way.

--------------------

Edited by PhatWhitey420 (07/27/05 04:36 PM)

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #4460428 - 07/27/05 04:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I use that quote daily.

--------------------

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: I just watched DePalma's Scarface. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #4460511 - 07/27/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You seen City of God ?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub