Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Flag
59 pounds of khat seized [PA]
    #4444737 - 07/23/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Police seize 59 pounds of khat in I-80 stop
July 23, 2005 - zwire.com

BLOOMSBURG (AP) - State police seized 59 pounds of khat, a leafy drug popular in Africa and the Middle East, from a van that had a flat tire on Interstate 80.

The driver, Mohamed Gelatu Guye, 46, of Jersey City, N.J., was charged with drug possession and possession with intent to deliver or manufacture and jailed in lieu of $250,000 bail, police said. It wasn't immediately clear whether he had an attorney.

Guye, described as an unemployed Ethiopian native, told investigators he was paid $300 to drive the khat from New York City to Columbus, Ohio, and had a flat tire as he drove west through Columbia County about 1:30 a.m. Thursday, police said.

Troopers Lisa Marie Girman and Joseph Warunek spotted the disabled van and stopped to help, and said Guye appeared nervous and tried to distract them from looking inside the van. Girman looked through the windows and spotted wrapped bundles of khat partially hidden under a blanket.

State Police Sgt. Scott Price said they seized 260 wrapped bundles of the African flowering shrub, a stimulant that can produce euphoria when chewed or brewed as tea.

* Related story: Seized drug rare in area

Edited by veggie (07/23/05 11:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Brainy Smurf

Re: 59 pounds of khat seized [PA] [Re: veggie]
    #4444753 - 07/23/05 11:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Never heard of the stuff weird.

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: 59 pounds of khat seized [PA] [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4444804 - 07/23/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've heard of it, but as far as I know it's not illegal here in the US. Apparently I'm wrong. Guess I'll have to look it up later.

Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Re: 59 pounds of khat seized [PA] [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4444817 - 07/23/05 11:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Never heard of the stuff weird.

I believe it is only common in US cities where there are large East African populations. It's used in East Africa (Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen) in much the same way we use coffee, except it's chewed instead of brewed.

It's effects are primarily that it reduces fatigue, increases alertness, reduces hunger, sharpens thinking, and promotes communication. It can be slightly dangerous in infants and the elderly if taken in large quantities over time.

I have no idea why it is illegal or why this poor SOB get a $250,000 bail. It's nuts.

Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: 59 pounds of khat seized [PA] [Re: veggie]
    #4444849 - 07/23/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah the active chem, cathinone is Schedule 1 or 2 I think.

"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Wang
Re: 59 pounds of khat seized [PA] [Re: dblaney]
    #4445004 - 07/24/05 12:42 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

this is from erowid

Khat is not specifically listed in any schedule in the United States. However the federal government appears to be treating Khat as equivalent of Cathinone, one of the chemical constituents in the plant. Cathinone is Schedule I in the United States, making it illegal to buy, sell or possess.

It is reported that the cathinone in Khat breaks down quickly and after only a few days, only cathine is left.

Individuals in the US have been successfully federally prosecuted for possessing and distributing dried khat leaves intended for ingestion. Dried leaves, intended for ingestion, courts will likely find constitute a "material or preparation" containing a schedule I substance, and thus controlled under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Cases such as: a man from Portland, Maine convicted in 2002 for 'intent to distribute' dried leaves. For live plants, not intended for ingestion, the law is ambiguous and has not yet been fully resolved.

The DEA considers khat "an illegal plant", but the DEA's views are not law and do not have the force of law. See DEA's 2002 Briefing on Khat for more information on their view of khat. In two entries in the Federal Register, the DEA mentions khat and their view of its legal status, but in the scheduling of cathine and cathinone, the DEA chose both times not to list the plant itself and thus the plant remains in a legal grey area.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." 
~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service