Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

US Freezes Syrian Assests
    #4356295 - 06/30/05 06:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

US Freezes Syrian Assests

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Thursday froze the U.S. assets of Syria's interior minister and a second official, accusing them of leading military and security operations in Lebanon, as the Bush administration increased its pressure on Syria.

The Treasury Department said Syrian Interior Minister Ghazi Kanaan and Rustum Ghazali, identified as the chief of Syrian military intelligence for Lebanon, had helped destabilize the region.

Tensions between the United States and Syria have increased recently over U.S. allegations that Damascus was hiding agents in neighboring Lebanon, undermining efforts to stabilize Iraq and supporting terrorism in the region.

In May, President Bush extended for another year the economic sanctions imposed on Syria last year and said the Arab country remained a threat to the United States.

The Treasury Department, in this latest move to isolate Syria financially and pressure its government, named Kanaan and Ghazali as "Specially Designated Nationals" of Syria -- a move that freezes any assets they hold in the United States and prohibits U.S. citizens from doing business with them.

The department did not comment on the type or extent of the two men's U.S. assets.

A Treasury statement said Kanaan, who was head of Syrian military intelligence for Lebanon before becoming interior minister, and Ghazali "have directed the Syrian Arab Republic government's military and security presence in Lebanon and/or contributed to ... (Syria's) support for terrorism."

"Actions like today's are intended to financially isolate bad actors supporting Syria's efforts to destabilize its neighbors," Treasury Secretary John W. Snow said in the statement.

"We are seeing democracy take hold in Lebanon and other places in the Middle East, yet Syria continues to support violent groups and political strife."

A Syrian source told Reuters in Damascus that Syria would not give into U.S. pressure.

"Syria is baffled by this approach that the United States follows in international relations and the political content of the American announcement (of freezing assets)," the source said.

Damascus would ask its ambassador in Washington, Imad Moustapha, to get "clarifications" on the latest U.S. move to put more pressure on the country, the Syrian source added.

The sanctions that Bush imposed last year banned certain U.S. exports to Syria, severed banking relations with the Commercial Bank of Syria, froze the assets of Syrians suspected of involvement in terrorism or developing weapons of mass destruction, and prohibited Syrian airlines from flying to and from the United States.

The United States accuses Syria of keeping intelligence agents in neighboring Lebanon despite international demands for a complete withdrawal of Syrian officials. Syrian troops had deployed to Lebanon as part of efforts to stabilize the country during its 1975-1990 civil war.

U.S. officials also accuse Syria of undermining its efforts in Iraq and allowing militants to funnel fighters and cash through its territory. Syria has denied these accusations.

A senior State Department official, who asked not to be named, would not say whether the U.S. government may implement further sanctions but said it continually reviewed its options.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: US Freezes Syrian Assests [Re: daimyo]
    #4358572 - 07/01/05 07:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

> Tensions between the United States and Syria have increased recently...

... as the US tries to show the world that Syria needs to be invaded too. And people wonder why Iran wants nuclear weapons... gee, look at north korea... nukes are about the only way to prevent the US from invading ones country. I'm pretty sure that if Saddam had WMD's, he would still be sitting in a palace in Iraq rather than in a prison cell somewhere. Not because he beat the US at war, but because the US wouldn't risk a war against somebody that would use WMDs.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: US Freezes Syrian Assests [Re: Seuss]
    #4358838 - 07/01/05 11:03 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Tensions between the United States and Syria have increased recently...

... as the US tries to show the world that Syria needs to be invaded too. And people wonder why Iran wants nuclear weapons... gee, look at north Korea... nukes are about the only way to prevent the US from invading ones country. I'm pretty sure that if Saddam had WMD's, he would still be sitting in a palace in Iraq rather than in a prison cell somewhere. Not because he beat the US at war, but because the US wouldn't risk a war against somebody that would use WMDs.

Exactly. Everything we do accomplishes the opposite of it's intended effect.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: US Freezes Syrian Assests [Re: Learyfan]
    #4358924 - 07/01/05 11:32 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sometimes I wonder what the intended effect is.

Reminds me of a lovely quote :smile:

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confound, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish and are generally perfectly capable of contriving to give one an utterly unambiguous impression of their future course of action while in fact intending to do exactly the opposite, but they never lie. Perish the thought."

EH Tersono - Drone
"Look to Windward - Iain M. Banks"

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: US Freezes Syrian Assests [Re: Seuss]
    #4359695 - 07/01/05 03:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I see no evidence the US is trying to convince anyone Syria needs to be invaded. I doubt very much the current administration would WANT Syria to be invaded. Syria has been from March of 2003 a very convenient portal for foreign jihadists to enter Iraq, where they run straight into the arms of the US military. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were commander in chief of the US military, I'd much rather have the enemy coming to me on a battlefield I fully occupy than have to go winkle them out from a succession of hostile countries. Why would I want to do anything to stop them from hurrying to their doom?

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion