Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Perlite Substrate
    #433719 - 10/22/01 09:15 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't been able to get vermiculite anywhere in town. I have been to every Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Lowe's in town and keep getting the same answer: Scott's (the supplier) is not shipping this product anymore. So I am using Perlite and Brown Rice Flour for my substrate. I colonized 6 jars 7 days ago and the mycelium is spreading like wildfire. I have approx 20% colonization in jars that i used about 1.5 ccs in. But my problem is that around the mycelium the substrate is becoming a little discolored. It looks kinda dingy, not like it may be contamination. I had heard that perlite tends to get dirty and was curious as to whether or not that is what this is.

--------------------
The path of indulgence leads to the house of wisdom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSir Tokes-A-Lot
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Perlite Substrate [Re: MrFreeze5]
    #433723 - 10/22/01 09:19 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

you say perlite in your substrate is actually working? i have never heard of such a thing. perlite dosent actually work as a substrate, and infact i have never heard of anyone ever using it in one. perlite dosent hold moisture, like vermiculite does. thats why people use vermiculite. vermiculite and perlite ARE two different things...

--------------------

"If god liked midgets, he woulda made 'em come on stilts."- ChemicalMonkey (The Early Years)

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

#433727 - 10/22/01 09:22 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Oh I know, but they work similarly. Perlite holds water decently and does not compact the substrate. It was as close as I could get, and I was skeptical at first too, but hey, it's working! It actually seems to hold water almost too well. i loosned te caps a bit for a day, some of the water evaporated, and BAM, mycelium everywhere.

--------------------

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

#433774 - 10/22/01 10:25 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I guess, to clarify my question, what I was wondering is what the dingy perlite looks like. The perlite is a very light brownish color around the mycelium, but then again the substrate has an off white color to it anyway. The colors are very close, which makes me think that it is just some effect the mycelium has on the perlite. It showed up a few days ago and hasnt spread except with the mycelium. It hasn't halted the growth or anything like that. I have been taking all sorts of pics of the whole process, so if it works out, I will post some pics later on.

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #433778 - 10/22/01 10:33 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Keep us updated.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #433945 - 10/23/01 05:07 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Perlite works better if you sterilize using the microwave. The problem with perlite being used in the substrate is that it tends to disrupt when it goes to the PC leaving the subtrate a reall mess, this is due to high pressure and heat wich the rock can't hold. Microwaving is a lot different and positive results with perlite can be achieved. I don't know wich sterilization procedures you used, maybe that dirt is disrupted perlite starting to desintegrate, but you can try microwaving the substrate for 10 min on max, it works for me.
My two cents.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Re: Perlite Substrate [Re: MAIA]
    #434140 - 10/23/01 11:51 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I boiled the jars for an hour and a half and havent had any poblems except with contaminated syringe. I have 7 jars going strong and the mycelium is advancing about 10-15% a day in 3 of the jars, the others seem to be growing from the inside out. After 8 days, I've got about 50-60% in one jar, 40-50% in another. The main difference that I notice from vermiculite is that the mycelium doesnt grow in patches like with the verm. but grows out in curvy strands across the cake and then spreads out. Quite impressive. I have a feeling that they will be totally colonized within another week. I'm taking lots of picks and taking notes, so I'll keep everyone posted!

--------------------

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

#434147 - 10/23/01 11:56 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

To clarify that last post: Started with 12 jars, 6 got contam. now ive got 6 left(not 7).

--------------------

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #434172 - 10/23/01 12:20 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

ive found that the myc grows outward more like you described also if you use the larger vermiculite chunks rather than the fine grade stuff.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Re: Perlite Substrate [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #434182 - 10/23/01 12:26 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

That makes sense, the perlite is made up of fairly large chunks. It colonized first in between the chunks, now it's spreading. The various strands are starting to meet and grow really fast.

--------------------

Invisiblezantac
journeyman
    #434199 - 10/23/01 12:50 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

What part of the country are you from? Here in the mid-atlantic area Home Depot has plenty of vermiculite. Most nurseries around here carry Country Cottage brand vermiculite. Why would Scotts drop this product?

--------------------
I SUPPORT THE BOYCOTT OF DR. BLUETHUMBS OLD SCHOOL TOADSTOOLS 100%

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Re: Perlite Substrate [Re: zantac]
    #434202 - 10/23/01 12:57 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I live up in the Smokey Mountains. No one in the area here carries it, at least not that I could find. It's a large city, with several nurseries, Home depots, etc. but no one has it. Ive wandered through the garden sections looking around since I know that the clerks are sometimes wrong, but no luck. :(

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures