Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Super DVD-Rs
    #4229408 - 05/28/05 09:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

New Scientist

Quote:

Nanoscale light tricks promise huge DVD storage
18:07 26 May 2005
NewScientist.com news service
Will Knight
The tantalising prospect of DVDs capable of holding almost a terabyte of data - or several hundred movies - has been presented in a patent issued to US storage company Iomega.

The US patent describes a disc that could store 40 to 100 times more information that a conventional DVD, using more nanometre-scale sloped ridges to diffract light. US patent number 6879556 - entitled "Method and Apparatus for Optical Data Storage" - was issued to Iomega on April 12 2005.

Conventional DVDs store information in the form of ridges and depressions, each several hundred nanometres wide. These correspond to bits of binary data - ?1?s or ?0?s. The data is read from a disc by bouncing laser light off its surface and measuring the angle at which it reflects.

The next generation of DVDs can hold almost 10 times as much data, using light with a shorter wavelength to read even smaller surface features. Two standards that use this principle are currently vying for market adoption - HD-DVD, created by Toshiba, NEC and Sanyo, and Blu-Ray Disc, from Sony.

Combining angles
However, Iomega's proposed technology, dubbed Articulated Optical Digital Versatile Disc (AO-DVD), could boost disc capacity further still. Sub-wavelength surface bumps on an AO-DVD would slope at slightly different angles - this could be used to encode up to 100 times more information.

The angles would be detected by analysing light after it had bounced off several ridges - calculating which combination of slopes would have produced the result.

Current DVDs can hold a maximum of 8.5 gigabytes - 8.5 billion bytes - of data, so an AO-DVD could theoretically hold more than 800 gigabytes. This is close to a terabyte and well beyond the capacity of most modern computer hard drives. Iomega claims the technique could also improve data transfer rates by a factor of 30.

Smaller wavelength
Fred Thomas, chief technologist at the company said researchers are working on "an array of mechanisms by which the state of a focused beam of light, upon reflection, can be precisely changed?. He added that smaller wavelength lasers would be crucial to developing such techniques.

Iomega is not alone in pursuing the idea for boosting DVD capacity, however. A similar technology is also being developed at Imperial College London, UK, although this uses the polarity of reflected light, instead of its diffraction, to detect sub-wavelength slope features.

Lead researcher at Imperial College London, Peter T?r?k, claims his approach should be more efficient, but admits that success of any system will ultimately depend on the entertainment industry. "The decision as to whether to turn this into a product doesn?t depend on us," he told New Scientist. "It depends on Hollywood."

Whoa! Imagine a disk that can hold that much data! It could be coming soon.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: Learyfan]
    #4229516 - 05/28/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Should be interesting. The new "HD-DVD"'s are scheduled for release in early 2006. Although the format wars will really taint the industry. An industry standard needs to be set. While new iomega drive proposed above will be quite an achievement; it would be a shame for the discs to only be able to work in an iomega drive (for example CD-ROMS are everywhere and many companies make them).

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
    #4229536 - 05/28/05 11:32 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Imagine you accidently scratch one  :whoa:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: egghead1]
    #4229543 - 05/28/05 11:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

They'll probably have a good deal of error-correction built in, just like DVDs and CDs do right now.

You can drill a 1mm diameter hole into an audio CD and not have it skip at all, I think.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: trendal]
    #4229545 - 05/28/05 11:42 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Let me just test out that theory on my new X-Files DVD box set. If they dont work, i shall send you the bill, OK? :lol:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: egghead1]
    #16590820 - 07/26/12 07:49 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, whatever happened to this?  Where's my Super DVDs? 

:crankey:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #16591055 - 07/26/12 09:31 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

Well...

Quote:

Lead researcher at Imperial College London, Peter T?r?k, claims his approach should be more efficient, but admits that success of any system will ultimately depend on the entertainment industry. "The decision as to whether to turn this into a product doesn?t depend on us," he told New Scientist. "It depends on Hollywood."

Hollywood must have said "No".

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16591074 - 07/26/12 09:39 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Learyfan said:

Well...

Quote:

Hollywood must have said "No".

They needed some time to let Blu-Ray replace DVDs, first. Once we have all gone and bought all our favorite movies in Blu-Ray...they'll come out with the "next big thing" :smirk:

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#16591223 - 07/26/12 10:30 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I have no doubt (at least in this instance :grin:) that you are 100% correct.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16591231 - 07/26/12 10:35 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Shit! I think the Earth just stopped moving :blush:

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#16591262 - 07/26/12 10:46 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
They needed some time to let Blu-Ray replace DVDs, first. Once we have all gone and bought all our favorite movies in Blu-Ray...they'll come out with the "next big thing" :smirk:

I'm curious of this.  I'd speculate that the vast majority of people own TV's under 50 inches, with most owning a set below 42".  For these people, an increase in resolution will only bring a marginal increase in perceived picture quality.  I I don't think an increase in quality will be enough to drive sales of an entirely new physical media format.

Further, I think the trend is moving toward streaming technologies, and away from discs.  The increased data need will be problematic for the high resolution formats.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Super DVD-Rs [Re: badchad]
    #16591290 - 07/26/12 10:55 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I think my point has already been proven with BluRay discs...

Not everyone I know has gone out and bought a BluRay player and movies, but a large proportion has! I would say it's about 50%. Not all of those people have a large TV, either (maybe one or two have a TV larger than 50"). I remember the same thing happening around the turn of the century - only a few people I knew had DVD players, but it was only another year or two before nearly everyone had a DVD player and VHS was on its way out!

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#16591385 - 07/26/12 11:25 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

True, but in previous generations (DVD and VHS), there was no alternative to physical media (e.g. no streaming).  People had to convert.  Would people still convert if there was no perceived benefit (in quality) AND there was a cheaper alternative?  Maybe not... 

A parallel might be seen in music.  People like the convenience of mp3. The non-physical, lower quality format seems to be dominating.

Despite the availability of superior music formats (CD and DVD music), people don't seem to care.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#16591395 - 07/26/12 11:26 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Shit! I think the Earth just stopped moving :blush:

Hey, even a broken clock is right... twice a day.

:lol:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16591907 - 07/26/12 01:16 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

You may be right about what people will do to get their movies...but I have no doubt about Hollywood's intention to try to capitalize on a new technology. They likely will come out with another "new" tech as soon as BluRay's have market saturation.

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#16591937 - 07/26/12 01:21 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed.  And I, for one, hope they do.  I like big screens (60"+) and could use an increase in picture quality.

I still go with discs, as I feel like they have superior sound and provide a better movie experience.

--------------------

Offlinelil_demented
Neighborhood friendly DEA Agent
Male User Gallery
    #16592080 - 07/26/12 01:42 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

trendal said:

I'm curious of this.  I'd speculate that the vast majority of people own TV's under 50 inches, with most owning a set below 42".  For these people, an increase in resolution will only bring a marginal increase in perceived picture quality.  I I don't think an increase in quality will be enough to drive sales of an entirely new physical media format.

Further, I think the trend is moving toward streaming technologies, and away from discs.  The increased data need will be problematic for the high resolution formats.

I agree, I don't see it being all that useful to the movie industry.
This product would be more useful to an administrator running backups off his server everyday.
Lot less disks and faster backup time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Community >> The Pub