Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
rap
    #4152035 - 05/08/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Editted: (sorry I wanted to refine and elaborate a bit) I am a believer in great music in all genres, but what is it about rap that is so appealing to the masses? It seems to be the music of choice by those who listen to a limited number of genres of music, but this doesn't preclude why rap is chosen above, say, older music that has already received its majority praise. Is it an obsession with things that are new, or appear new to promote and image of cutting-edgedness? Even more peculiar is the profound interest in the more hardcore rap subgenre like 'gangsta rap' of people who cannot relate whatsoever to the lyrical content, often times where being able to relate seems to compose the true spirit of the song itself? are these people aware of the paradox that exists between the song's motive and their interpretation of the whole idea? are they just playing a role? perhaps, are they enthused by rap's hard image? I understand it might be any of these but I'm asking what you think the main reason is. I can't seem to find the full spectrum of musical quality within only one genre. I'll add that although I've heard a lot of excellent rap, the stuff thats popular is usually the least of which I get into. Let's hear some theories...

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Edited by kake (05/08/05 11:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: rap [Re: kake]
    #4152045 - 05/08/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kake said:
I am a believer in great music in all genres, but what is it about rap that is so appealing to the masses. Even more peculiar is the profound interest of even people who cannot relate whatsoever to the lyrical content, often times where being able to relate is the true spirit of the song itself? are these people aware of the paradox that exists between the song's motive and their interpretation of it? are they just playing a role? are they enthused by rap's hard image? I understand it could be any of these but I'm asking what you think the main reason is. I can't seem to find the full spectrum of music within one genre, although I've heard a lot of excellent rap, the stuff thats popular is usually the least of which I get into.

I'm so glad this wasn't another plain old "rap sucks" thread...and instead it's like bringing up all these intriguing points about listenership and the meeting between meaning and interpretation! I think there's always an opening for anything that makes for the feeling of macho. Right now NASCAR is the number one watched sporting event weekly on TV. Riddle me that!

As long as you realize that the most popular rap is the worst you're okay to go. There are some exceptions, both entire artists and particular songs, but I think the great mass of rap artists are being molded and used by record companies to pander to demographics that they, in a sense, are helping to create. As for people not realizing that the meaning of a song goes against what they might believe...skepticism is the gift of a minority, IMO...healthy skepticism. The great mass of people don't think for themselves because it's simply easier to let yourself be thought for.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#4152049 - 05/08/05 11:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yes...main stream hip hop or "rap" Is overplayed and just doesn't seem from the heart. There are some insane groups out there tho. Main stream hip hop is just one small part of the Hip Hop community. Trip hop is the best!

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: rap [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4152065 - 05/08/05 11:44 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
The great mass of people don't think for themselves because it's simply easier to let yourself be thought for.

That's it, you summed it all.

Discussion closed.  :laugh:

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: rap [Re: Snape]
    #4152076 - 05/08/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

MTV is the devil

Wu Tang forever mutha fucka!

Male

Re: rap [Re: DieCommie]
    #4152081 - 05/08/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I :heart: Liquid Swords!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: rap [Re: DieCommie]
    #4152092 - 05/08/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Gravediggaz are great too!  I belive some members from Wu-tang are in it :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblekake
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: rap [Re: Snape]
    #4152095 - 05/08/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Snape said:
Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
The great mass of people don't think for themselves because it's simply easier to let yourself be thought for.

That's it, you summed it all.

Discussion closed.  :laugh:

not really, I understand the notion of why people will listen to seemingly less-than-par music, but I don't understand why it is RAP they pick to listen to, like when you see the polish rural white boy bumping 50-cent, like he can relate to being in a gang, in the club, or being shot at, yet he'll spit those lyrics from the heart like no other.  It's funny, but scary.  Anyways, why not death metal?  At least they might sing about something he can relate to  :crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#4152110 - 05/08/05 11:52 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I dont always have to relate to what im hearing...if it has abeat that I like then ill listen to it.

But i pass on 50cent...

--------------------

Male

#4152112 - 05/08/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

It's that idea of wanting something to relate to. When someone doesn't want to think for themselves, they don't really attain any sort of self-knowledge beyond what's presented to them.

Think about it, each of us is a prism offering up a unique reflection of the entire world around ourselves. We are an absence, that reflects and refracts. Then there's all those people think they're something "real," something they want to prove to the world, so they gravitate towards something like shitty mainstream rap because it's a personality that's yelling exactly what they want to yell - Fuck you, get out of my way, I am the shit, I will get the women, I will get the money, you can all suck my dick.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblekake
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4152120 - 05/08/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was going to add, I don't mean to imply you have to relate to what you're listening to in order to enjoy it, simply that example where the dude expresses his love for the music in a way thats conveyed as if he can relate.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #4152123 - 05/08/05 11:55 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

i dont think i could ever imagine a whole genre having 1 main reason its so popular. it is VERY diverse and attract many shapes and colours because of it.

i think that many of the points said about rap would be a "main" reason its popular.

i first started listening as a kid probably because of shock factor. not many other mainstream artists are that out there. meaning their language and and their way of coming off as not caring what peopel think of what they say. then i got into the smaller seemingly more meaningfull rap. not to start a whole other thing about this song. but eminems mosh which is very mainstream seemed to stir up a bunch of stuff, even here. thats why i think that people at least get into it. the mainstream is jsut rougher and more "tell it how i see it" type of style. even if its not thats what it comes off as, and many people like that.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: rap [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4152125 - 05/08/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
It's that idea of wanting something to relate to.  When someone doesn't want to think for themselves, they don't really attain any sort of self-knowledge beyond what's presented to them.

Think about it, each of us is a prism offering up a unique reflection of the entire world around ourselves.  We are an absence, that reflects and refracts.  Then there's all those people think they're something "real," something they want to prove to the world, so they gravitate towards something like shitty mainstream rap because it's a personality that's yelling exactly what they want to yell - Fuck you, get out of my way, I am the shit, I will get the women, I will get the money, you can all suck my dick.

whoa...had to turn the music off to read that one..heh.  I agree with you 100%  :thumbup:

--------------------

Male

Re: rap [Re: kadakuda]
    #4152126 - 05/08/05 11:56 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Oh no, anytime there's a kake and a kadakuda in the same thread, I get so confused for some reason. :lol:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #4152138 - 05/09/05 12:00 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kake said:
why not death metal?

Artist: Cryptopsy
Song: Phobophile

In the kitchen
With a screaming triple amputee...
Its completion depends solely
On my needs...
Said amputee's stumps
Are my way of saying... "Thank you
Just for being you."
Its fear tastes better than its limbs.

Terror of morality
I draw from the slowly dying damned
Monsters live behind my eyes;
I let them out and people die.
And all the grave worms
That come for their piece of meat?
I give them dead things..
The wretched living are mine alone

Fright mounts with the body count
To which anthropomancy predicts a decline
In all of God's creation,
Can there be a lifestyle that's better than this?

I mark my territory
With their blood and excritement
And adipocere...
I can find my way in the dark;
My fulfilment is habitually necromanic
And anal abusive..
Seen through the eyes of a mortician

They've "caught" me, as they call it;
My teeth and my semen have betrayed me..
Nevermore!
Tests to gauge my rationale,
The likes of which these feeble minds have
Never seen.

Rorschach blotters,
My responses to which inspire fear...
From my lizard side,
The amoral alien speaks;
"These aren't butterflies,
I see a face I'd like to burn."

Obfuscation
Of the authorities with lies,
And my nature
Alability to charm and be me,
Or whoever they want;
I've known all minds by divine right.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order