Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Agar mix?
    #396292 - 09/16/01 10:21 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I heard something about mixing agar with dog food instead of brewers malt and nut. yeast.
Has anyone had success useing this method? Is it worth it or should i just hold off till I find the yeast and malt?

I'll never look at the Tazmanian Devil the same way again.

Edited by MeltingPenguin on 09/17/01 12:44 AM.

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Agar mix? [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #396453 - 09/17/01 04:05 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

"Working with agar can be an effective and rewarding approach to both microbiological culture and mycology. There are several different basic techniques that can then be modified and combined to suit the needs of your hobby. I've broken the basic subjects down into seperate pages and listed them in what I feel is a logical order. We begin with the agar preparation itself, then advance through the steps most folks are likely to need, in the order they will likely be encountered.

But first, how difficult is this really going to get? How easy or how hard is this going to be? Let's start with the most basic set up that is at all reasonably possible. Take a quart of tap water and heat it on the stove. Crush up roughly an ounce of any decent dog food as finely as possible. Mix an equal weight of plain agar into the dogfood. The agar you can get from any health food store will be just fine. Pour the hot water over the dog food and agar. Mix it well, and heat it a bit more until the agar is dissolved. Pour this mix 1/2 inch deep into the bottom of some wide mouth canning jars. The small the jars are the better. Put lids on the jars, and process them in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes at 15 psi. There, you are done. You have perfectly functional "petri dishes" that will grow a wide variety of micro-organisms. The most difficult thing about the whole process was likely using the pressure cooker. And let me assure you that many a grandmother has used a pressure cooker without having any sort of rocket science degree. Now, go get started! "

-------------------
Visit www.fungifun.org formerly kickme.to/mushrooms

Be very, very careful what you put into that head,
because you will never, ever get it out.

Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Re: Agar mix? [Re: Anno]
    #396903 - 09/17/01 04:13 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Anno rocks
thanks
peace

I think its dumb when people say video games effect kids negatively.
I mean, if Pac-Man effected us, we'd all hang out in dark rooms, muching pills, and listening to repetitive music.

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

Re: Agar mix? [Re: Anno]
    #408153 - 09/29/01 09:29 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Anno can this agar be pc'd longer? A friend was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and pc'ing rye jars as well as agar at the same time.

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

InvisibleNyahbinghi
Stranger

Loc: Mt. Zion
Re: Agar mix? [Re: SumGuy]
    #408633 - 09/29/01 09:44 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

DFA is a great media for getting fruitbodies *fast* and can save alot of time in isolating a pure strain from a multi-spore culture. Simply innoculate DFA with spores and culture tissue from one of the quickly forming fruitbodies onto fresh dishes of a less rich media such as MEA or PDA.

It is also a method to quickly obtain fresh spores. Cubensis carpophores on DFA sporulate normally and heavy, sterile prints are easily obtainable in a minimal amount of time.

Sumguy-- I suspect this media can withstand longer sterilzation since there is no malt to carmalize. This is not a media for medium or long term culture storage though since the media is so rich.

Edited by Nyahbinghi on 09/29/01 11:50 PM.

--------------------
---------------------------
Preservation through dissemination.
When they try to keep me down, [red]J[/red][yellow]A[/yellow][green]H[/green] put I around.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale