Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: the sky
NYU Shuts Balconies after Suicides
    #3989477 - 03/30/05 11:17 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I know this seems unrelated at first, but I'll give you a quick backstory - NYU has had many suicides in the past couple of years, and one of those was a kid who jumped from the top floor of the library down to the lobby floor while tripping off mushrooms (which I can understand since the library floor is like an MC Escher painting).

NYU Closes Balconies

New York University is cutting off balcony access in two high-rise dorms in a bid to prevent student suicides, school officials said yesterday.

At least four NYU students have jumped to their deaths since 2003, though none from dorm balconies.

"You're looking at ways to prevent lethal suicide attempts," said Dr. Christopher Lucas, an NYU associate professor of psychiatry who backs the plan.

Entries to balconies at the Carlyle Court and Coral Towers dorms will be adjusted to open just 4 inches, allowing ventilation but no access.

"I don't know how much good that's going to do," said Patty Johnson, program director of the national suicide awareness group SAVE.

The university already has taken measures to prevent impulse and copycat jumps. After a student on hallucinogenic drugs jumped to his death inside the atrium of the Bobst Library just weeks after a suicide there, NYU blocked access to the library's high balconies with glass panels.

At Coral Towers on Third Ave., students had mixed feelings about the new restrictions. "I think it's okay as a short-term solution, but in the long term, you obviously have to address the root of suicide, which is depression," said April Gu, 20, an economics major.

Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: NYU Shuts Balconies after Suicides [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #3996306 - 03/31/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

they bolted shut our balcony access in our dorms but that was because previous students got drunk and threw furniture off.

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Re: NYU Shuts Balconies after Suicides [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #3996327 - 03/31/05 06:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Better start padding the dorm walls as well. Don't want any drunk college kids bumping their heads and getting a booboo.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: motaman, karode13, Alan Rockefeller, naum, Mostly_Harmless
1,379 topic views. 2 members, 2 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.