Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it?
    #3977423 - 03/27/05 07:43 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

i am getting REALLY fed up with all this shit that "appears" on my computer. most of it is thigns i have never even heard of. all i want is a place to do my work, put my files/pics, brows teh net and paly games every now and then. but all this virus spy ware BS is really fucking it all up.

anyway, i am reformatting and deleting EVERYTHING that i can aside from essentials. i am then putting back on the things i have already backed up, mainly pictures.

It seems people here say that internet explorer has shitty security. how would i go abouts takign this off my computer? after i download firefox that is. are there otehr things like this i can get rid of if it protects the computer?

i am using a hp pavilion a220n. windows xp. i can give system specs if needed.

it also comes with a 3 month trial of norton anti virus (which comes back again if you reformat). once it expires i would like to remove that from my comp as well.

lastly. is tehre an easy way to COMPLETELY remove things from teh computer? i want lots gone, but mainly things liek the free games, aol type adverts, messenger etc.

thanks for any help.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3977706 - 03/27/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Google Adaware for spyware removal. If you wish to be free of that crap forever then dump Windows and implement a Linux solution. Linux is spyware and virus free consistantly. Here is a good starter Linux that is powerful, yet simple. http://www.xandros.com/ You do NOT have to be a tech to use it as it is very easy.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3977850 - 03/27/05 09:23 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

thanks man. i have adaware luckily.

prehaps some day i will switch to linux. but i liek and am far to used to windows. honestly i am getting pretty annoyed with jsut switching to firefox from explorer...its been about 10 mins now...jsut gotta get my settings doen and get used to it i guess.

how easy would you say linux is for a software illiterate? and does it do fine with things like uploading pics, adding hardware/software etc? i do a lot of picture stuff and am often putting movies/cds/games in. it does all taht stuff ok? i just dont want it to be a BIG difference like say a pc vs a mac type of thing. be a nightmare.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: kadakuda]
    #3978254 - 03/27/05 10:50 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

once you format and reinstall windows, you need to reinstall all the drivers for your motherboard. good luck finding them at HP. ur best bet would be to get the manufacturers name and model # off the board and just go get the drivers from the actual OEM.

then, install firefox, adaware, AVG antivirus, and dont ever use IE again. i use adaware and AVG antivirus and havent had a problem in a long time.

dont instal nortons if you plan on uninstalling it after ur time runs out. just use AVG antivirus. they have a free one which is wonderful.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: automan]
    #3978323 - 03/27/05 11:08 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

hmm maybe format was teh wrong word....i dotn know what its called.  its "setting it back to factory settings".  tehy dont give you ANY...ANY... cds with hp comps anymore.  not even windows.  tehy use that shitty partition thing.  anyway it does it all for me so it basically takes everything off thats put on after factory. 

so i have installed firefox and have it as default and am using it now.  is jsut not using IE good enough?  or should i find a way to erase it form the comp?

and yes i HATE* hp.  they have fucked me a few times and i dont even really liek thier products.  but when you have a large portion of paid for its not so much a big deal :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3980313 - 03/28/05 01:02 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

leave IE on the computer, you can delete the shortcuts from the start menu and desktop and forget about it. you might run into some problems if you completly delete it as IE is more than just a internet browser in a windows computer. you also used to need IE to update windows (if you like to) they might have changed that by now though. you should go to start/control panel/ add or remove programs and delete everything you don't want. those programs automan listed plus a good firewall (or two) and you should get spybot as well, then you'll be set.

automan,
actually hp does have all the nessary drivers on their website. they're a pretty decent company with good products, as far as pre-builts go. :stoned:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisiblekaleras
imperfectable
    #3980354 - 03/28/05 01:17 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

steps to protect yourself:
- download firefox and thunderbird
- backup things you need, including firefox/thunderbird
- format/restore computer
- make sure winxp firewall is on before getting on the net
- download ALL of the windows updates
- download latest drivers if you wish
- visit http://housecall.trendmicro.com and do a virus scan on your backup files
- restore your backed up files
- install firefox and thunderbird
- make sure windows automatic update is set to download automatically and ask you when to install, or give it a time that you want it to auto-install

you can turn off winxp firewall and go without an antivirus program if you wish, but if you are ultra-paranoid, install a good AV (i don't use them, but i hear Kaspersky is good) and FW (i don't use one of these either, but Tiny is supposedly good, windows fw works too)

firefox/thunderbird/windows updates are usually enough to protect you if you don't do anything dumb like allowing unknown activex controls from the web to install or download stuff from shady sources without scanning it. it should be noted that spyware/malware authors are starting to target firefox and thunderbird, so make sure you keep firefox and thunderbird updated and you should be fine.

hope that helps.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3980613 - 03/28/05 02:47 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Good advice here! I also recommend disconnecting your cable/DSL connection when reinstalling, if you're going with XP. The security hole in MS Messenger will allow spam sites to install spyware/adware almost the second you're finished reinstalling and before you can disable Messenger. I speak from experience here....

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3981077 - 03/28/05 05:08 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I have been using firefox since it came out without any anti-virus software or firewalls and crap and I have yet to get any spyware or viruses.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3981335 - 03/28/05 06:22 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

wow thats kinda weird....i disabled it first though so hopefully....

i have cable interent, with a moden and a router before my computer. there are apperently 2 firewalls that it has to go through before hitting my computer...so says my provider. i dotn really liek them. everytime i have downloaded them i have had nothing but troubles doing things liek msn, online games etc. but that is probably my lack of know how on how to set them up.

there shouldnt be any problem running these anti virus programs listed above along side nortons 2003 3 month trial thing? i wouldnt think there would be...but for some reason i would not be the least bit suprosed if it caused soem kind of meltdown or somthing.

thanks for all teh help! i cant really write how much i appreciate it!

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3981635 - 03/28/05 07:36 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Firewall and anti-virus software is ok, it just takes up processor power and memory so i don't use them at all because I am a gamer. Unfortunately, I had to repeatedly format when using IE but I have never had to using firefox (with no extentions).

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3981727 - 03/28/05 07:59 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

awsome!  thanks for the help...it usually takes me about 2-3 hours jsut to put back on teh comp what i want on teh comp...then there is the backing up of the new stuff since last format.  man what a time waster :frown:

hopefully all good now though :smile:  i got all these thingy's installed and running on my computer now.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3981736 - 03/28/05 08:00 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

agreed. i dont use a firewall other than my wireless router. i dont have any problems, but i dont d/l shady stuff.

kadakuda, dont install nortons if you only plan on uninstalling in 3 months. just use AVG antivirus.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: automan]
    #3981889 - 03/28/05 08:32 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

i dotn have a choice to install it...it comes with the computer...its just a 3 month trial. i figure if i have no choice in getting it i may as well leave it till it expires. if it does start messing with things or you think i should, ill dlete it.

now here i have a problem. Firefox. i went to open up teh browser and it said some shit abotu member or user or somthing. i made a new one cause it wouldnt let me use "default". now i have to re log into everything and my favourites are gone....how do i get my old one back and stop this from messing up again?

--------------------

Invisiblekaleras
imperfectable
    #3981968 - 03/28/05 08:52 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

i believe this is caused when you change users on windows xp. what you'll need to do is browse to WINROOT:\Documents and Settings\oldusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and copy that whole folder into the directory WINROOT:\Documents and Settings\newusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and then delete the current profile folder in that dir.

example of directories would be:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
C:\Documents and Settings\kaleras\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: kaleras]
    #3982118 - 03/28/05 09:15 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

once i get to Owner, which would be administrator in your example, i have the following options.  in order.

Cookies, Desktop, Favourites, My Documents, Start Menu, Windows.  i am unable to find application data :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblekaleras
imperfectable
    #3982201 - 03/28/05 09:26 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

oh, sorry, you need to go to Tools>Folder Options in explorer, then go to the View tab and select show hidden files and folders

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Reformating My computer. what steps would you take to protect it? [Re: kaleras]
    #3982262 - 03/28/05 09:39 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

ok i see it now. i got to the right folder, but dotn know where im suppose to cop it to.

i have teh following:

all users, default user, owner

no "new user"

i also did not have the problem after logging off....i had all ym internet things closed then i went to reopen (without logging off or disconetcing the net) and this thing came up.

--------------------

Invisiblekaleras
imperfectable
    #3982285 - 03/28/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

well, then that won't help you. i know i've had it happen to me before, but i just don't remember what caused it. how did you get your favorites back before? have you formatted yet? if not you can just do file>import on firefox and import your IE settings

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3982328 - 03/28/05 09:47 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

damn.

i have never used this thing before. i just reformated again today, downloaded firefox and installed. i have not used or added anything to IE on this reformat. so i have nothign to import. i DO hwoever have a folder of shortcuts and folder with all my links. is tehre a way to put those directly into firefox? it wook me about an hour of opening and saving then categorising all my favourites last time....i REALLY do not want this to be a daily thing.

i hadnt logged off or anything prior to this problem. teh computer did however go into sleep mode, but that didnt maek it do it before.

thansk fo the help

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order