Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Loc: watching you
Waking Life
    #3758030 - 02/09/05 08:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know how popular this movie is, but it is amazing, and on shrooms its...fucking amazing.... yeah ok so I'm not Shakespeare, anyway, this movie will blow your mind, and the aesthetic quality of the movie is unparalleled! By that I mean it is the trippiest movie ive ever seen, and the dialogue is all philosophies on human existence which will stimulate your "enlightenment" to the fullest. Watch the "first 8 minutes" trailer here http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/waking_life/trailers.php?rtp=1&bc=78

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: Waking Life [Re: PsiliPSIENTIST]
    #3758035 - 02/09/05 08:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yea, i liked it better just stoned, when i was shrooming i couldnt really pay as much attention...but thats just me

awesome fuckin movie though

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Waking Life [Re: Help on the Way]
    #3758069 - 02/09/05 09:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Really? When I watch it stoned I find it damn near impossible to follow.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlineacoostick
Gonzo

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Waking Life [Re: dblaney]
    #3758096 - 02/09/05 09:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yea a very popular movie on my opinion

but i cant watch it very long while tripping it moves to much.

if you like Waking Life you should checkout on how to Astral Travel, google it or something, that shit is crazy

--------------------
Shine On,           

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Waking Life [Re: acoostick]
    #3758107 - 02/09/05 09:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah...good movie

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Offlinemushroom_lout
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: Waking Life [Re: Vulture]
    #3758262 - 02/09/05 09:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's alrite, got a bit boring in places i thought. Also didnt really like the way it was made/filmed/drawn, suppose its a love/hate thing.

OfflineDimmy
Josephacetious
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
Re: Waking Life [Re: mushroom_lout]
    #3758364 - 02/09/05 10:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i liked it. its strongest element, i think, is the visual aspect. i loved how from scene to scene the art changed (cause the differen't scenes were made by diff artist, just fyi). something u gotta pay attention to, in order to enjoy. not a good drunk movie...

--------------------
:goose:

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Re: Waking Life [Re: Dimmy]
    #3758384 - 02/09/05 10:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i find i like this movie the best when i take a few breaks when watching it, like give your mind time to digest what has been said.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflinePathos
A million pieces
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs
    #3758570 - 02/09/05 10:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I saw it while I was coming down from a trip, and I must say it was perfect. I probably wouldnt wanna watch it while I was peaking or anything, but I would definitely recommend it for the comedown

OfflineJdawg2013
 User Gallery

#3758733 - 02/09/05 11:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

this movie really made me want to lucid dream

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3759631 - 02/10/05 01:35 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I took four grams of mushrooms and watched Waking Life. OH MY GOD!!! Excellant.

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Waking Life [Re: MOTH]
    #3760326 - 02/10/05 05:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I can barely handle that movie when Im shrooming. Makes me feel slightly overwhelmed. The distorted perspectives and the moving lines constantly have me asking myself "Wait, is that ME, or is that the movie?" Also, I constantly feel like i understand what the people are talking about, but then i forget what they last said and get caught up on certain words.

It does look amazing, but I can only watch it for so long. I actually prefer it when I'm sober.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'stralia
    #3760364 - 02/10/05 05:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I really want to see this again. I saw it AGES ago. A gnome friend of mine made a video copy but it sux due to macrovision, he reckons he'll just do a dvd rip next time he finds it, or im sure one could also download it, or BUY it maybe?

Honestly the lack of any real plot or direction makes this movie boring to watch as a whole. It's great to watch individual scenes however and then reflect on them. The different philosophies are very thought provoking.

If one feels motion sickness easily this movie may be uncomfortable - especially when you need to barf up all the mushrooms u had just ingested.

I very much liked the visual style it has the realism element due to it being filmed and the surrealism due to the alterations of the artists - in that way it is a great representation of the dream state especially when one is lucid. - By that I mean in normal dreams you imagine things looking 100% real but when one becomes lucid you see all the little quirks and surreal nature of the brains imagery - quite an amazing thing to explore (from my few experiences).

To me the few minutes of brain activity after death philosophy is quite convincing. That after ones death (provided it isnt a brain injury?) the brain continues to function as if in a lucid dream or an endogenous dmt release induced trance state(?) But in this altered state of consciousness there is extreme time dilation and we imagine it being infinite, we create our own heaven/hell.

This could be either a blessing or a curse. From experiences of thought loops and bad craziness I can say one doesn't want to feel trapped in this state. I'm hoping the latter theory to be true (dmt release) and at the end of our consciousness we lose our ego and dissolve into the infinite. A very blissful state to be in before our physical body fully shuts down.

By the time the brain ceases to function our 'energy' or 'soul' will dissolve into the 'all' ready to be recycled and begin a new life / object /dimension / parralel universe ??? (or at least we can believe this when its a chemically induced state of 'ego-less oneness' before we shutdown and all thats left is blank nothingness - none of us knows the answer)

Just some reflections based on what i saw AGES ago! I should see it again.

--------------------
Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

OfflineMegaloMello
potatoe.

Re: Waking Life [Re: el_duderino]
    #3760913 - 02/10/05 10:55 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I watched Waking Life while coming up once. Wasn't particularly anything mind blowing to me, philosophically speaking...it all seemed pretty rudimentary.
But it is certainly visually interesting, flashing through all the different drawings of the same person and whatnot. After a while, we put it on mute and played some music. I swear there were points when the guy in the tv was actually fully integrated w/ the music, and singing the words to the songs.

--------------------
ride...

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Waking Life [Re: Veter]
    #3761245 - 02/10/05 12:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Veter said:
The distorted perspectives and the moving lines constantly have me asking myself "Wait, is that ME, or is that the movie?" 

At several points in my trip I "became" some of the people in the movie.  Very odd, and made me a little seasick.  :smile:

OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Loc: watching you
    #3761414 - 02/10/05 01:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Last time I tripped I watched it on the rise, right when all the colors began to brighten and everything was hilarious. The animation caused me to laugh histerically for about 10 minutes then i settled down. Some of the scenes were, as MegaloMello said, rudimentary, but I especially loved the scene which discussed the possibility of reality as we know it just being the last few minutes of our death, it caused me to freak out and run around to everyone i was tripping with to make sure they existed, and to make sure i wasn't in fact dying. What is crazy about this movie is every time i watch it, there is always a scene that I don't remember seeing the previous time. While at my peak, this lead me to believe that reality is created within our thoughts, and this theory was proven since my mind kept adding scenes to the movie which meant my mind was controlling my reality, and so again I panicked, hehe. Oh, and I am thoroughly convinced that I had a lengthy conversation with my dog about his previous life as crack fiend, which lead to his ultimate demotion and prolonged suffering until he would someday reach nirvana. This somehow was inspired by that movie, although I have never really accepted the idea of reincarnation. Another thing MegaloMello, I had a similar experience with the animation seeming to syncronize with surrounding music, then it seemed as if i was controlling the character, and soon began to feel as though I was the character.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
    #3763063 - 02/10/05 06:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I like to put this movie on right before i go to bed. I have never lucid dreamed while it was playing, but i have had some of the debates with someone in my dreams.

Invisiblephalloidin

Re: Waking Life [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3763842 - 02/10/05 09:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Richard Linklater is currently working on an adaptation of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly which will also use animation over live action footage.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Waking Life [Re: phalloidin]
    #3764028 - 02/10/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

holy shit this movie looks awesome. i was just checking out the website for it. i have to see this
it says on the site that it took about 250 hours of animating to create one minute of actual film

InvisibleAdden
Buttermilk Love Nugget
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #3764238 - 02/10/05 11:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

this movie is a must to trip to, whether you believe in tripping to movies or not

--------------------

Outdoor Mushroom Cultivation
"He who seeks revenge best dig two graves.."
The Official Woodlovers Thread

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience