Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

TX Lawmaker Submits Marijuana Bill
    #3698477 - 01/29/05 03:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Lawmaker Submits Marijuana Bill
January 29, 2005
www.kxan.com

An Austin lawmaker backs legislation to allow the use of medical marijuana in Texas. State Representative Elliott Naishtat first told KXAN he would file a medical marijuana bill last month. Friday, he followed through on his promise.

The proposed bill doesn't legalize marijuana, but provides a defense in court if a patient meets medical standards. A spokesman for Governor Rick Perry says he opposes any medical marijuana legislation.

The controversial measure's most outspoken followers are Texans for Medical Marijuana.

But there are others who quietly hope the law goes into effect.

"Marcia" injured her spinal cord in a car wreck 16 years ago that left her paralyzed. While she can't feel her legs, she does feel pain.

"Some of the medications they give me - believe it or not - cause internal bleeding," Marcia said.

Because of those harsh side effects, Marcia began tying marijuana to alleviate her pain.

"It makes an awfully big difference in the quality of my life," she said.

Naishtat's bill would prevent people like Marcia from being charged with possession of marijuana. It also frees doctors from any criminal ramifications if they discuss the alternative with patients.

If the bill passes, Texas would be the 11th state to allow marijuana for medicinal purposes.

"This is not a broad legalization. This is not saying marijuana is OK as a recreational devise. That's not at all what we're talking about. This about people who are in pain," Noelle Davis of Texans for Medical Marijuana said.

Naishtat believes the bill would free people with legitimate medical problems of the pain of worry.

"People are wasting away and marijuana is the only thing that allows them to keep food down or put a little weight back on," Davis said.

Marcia said she never even used marijuana until the accident.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: TX Lawmaker Submits Marijuana Bill [Re: veggie]
    #3710399 - 01/31/05 11:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

it's about time. i must shed a tear, i never thought a texas would ever think about considering medical mj. i have lived to see the day.

--------------------

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: TX Lawmaker Submits Marijuana Bill [Re: veggie]
    #3711487 - 02/01/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.texansformedicalmarijuana.org/

Feb. 17 there will be a lobby day at the state capitol. Food, and drinks will be provided.

Feb. 7th will be an orgazational meeting.

I'll be there, and hope any other central Texans who have free time will join me.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: TX Lawmaker Submits Marijuana Bill [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3713118 - 02/01/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I wish i could make it man but teh drive from san antonio to Austin is just a little too long for me to consider, plus my car sucks ass and hates the hill country. It's funny everyone allways talks about how red of a state we are, and yet there are TONS of pot heads here. Republican ones too. Austin has some of the best pot in the country id bet. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service