Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Supreme Court Approves Use of Drug-Sniffing Dogs in Traffic Stops
    #3679296 - 01/25/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I am extremely dissapointed with our judges...this is a sad day. This is just another example of the erosion of our civil liberties. I have faith that this decision will not last long.

http://www.channelone.com/news/2005/01/25/ap_dogs/

Date Posted: January 25, 2005

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that police can have dogs check out motorists' vehicles for drugs even if officers have no particular reason to suspect illegal activity.

The 6-2 opinion, written by Justice John Paul Stevens, stipulates police dogs may sniff only the outside of a car after a motorist is lawfully stopped for a traffic violation, such as speeding or failing to stop at a stop sign.

But privacy rights advocates said the ruling would lead to far more traffic stops as a way to find drugs. They also warned that the decision could open the door to more expansive searches, from sniffs inside the vehicle to checks of cars parked along sidewalks and pedestrians on the street.

Before Monday's ruling, the Supreme Court had authorized drug dogs primarily to sniff luggage at airports.

"The use of dogs is intimidating," said Harvey Grossman, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union in Chicago. "Thousands of motorists have called complaining about suddenly finding their cars surrounded by policemen and drug dogs. Now no one is safe from this major intrusion into our lives."

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, who argued the case, called the ruling a victory for law enforcement in the war on drugs. "The use of canine units to help fight this battle is indispensable," she said.

The case involves Roy Caballes, who was stopped by Illinois police in 1998 for driving 6 mph over the speed limit. Although Caballes lawfully produced his driver's license, troopers brought over a drug dog after noticing air freshener in the car and noting Caballes appeared nervous.

The dog indicated drugs were in the trunk, and police searched it even though Caballes refused to give permission. They found $250,000 worth of marijuana, and Caballes was convicted of drug trafficking.

The verdict was thrown out by the Illinois Supreme Court, which ruled the search was improper because police had no particular reason to suspect Caballes had drugs.

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Supreme Court Approves Use of Drug-Sniffing Dogs in Traffic Stops [Re: Joshua]
    #3679382 - 01/25/05 09:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:nonono:

thats such bullshit.  And it's not going to get better with conservative supreme court justices :frown:

we brag about our freedoms, yet we're becoming more a police state everyday

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Supreme Court Approves Use of Drug-Sniffing Dogs in Traffic Stops [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3692115 - 01/28/05 03:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This has been the norm in Florida for as long as I can remember.

:thumbdown:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Supreme Court Approves Use of Drug-Sniffing Dogs in Traffic Stops [Re: Joshua]
    #3692852 - 01/28/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well, you know what you have to do. Everytime you make up a batch of ice-hash, you're to load the left over bucket water into a super soaker water pistol and shoot all the cars in the street, esp. the wheel arches and tyres. With enough bogus searches and complaints by pissed off motorists and the LEO and their dogs will have their budgets pulled.

Similar was done in Nimbin Australia to waste the time of cops and their sniffer dogs.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Supreme Court Approves Use of Drug-Sniffing Dogs in Traffic Stops [Re: Starter]
    #3693306 - 01/28/05 01:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Everyone is guilty until proven innocent here, it's sad how misunderstood teh drug community is.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service