Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
opinion of mycobags.
    #3673357 - 01/24/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey i was just wanting to get some input from some people who have experimented with them, preferably the ones you buy online premixed and sterilized.

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: opinion of mycobags. [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3673397 - 01/24/05 07:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

mycobags are very good and very easy for beginners looking to explore the realm of mycology. you will find over time that it's much cheaper and fulfilling to just prepare your own substrate but mycobags are a good product for the new guys. considering it's almost fool proof, why not give it a try? i give it 2 thumbs up.

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: opinion of mycobags. [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3673431 - 01/24/05 07:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

this is my second try, well my first try is still colonizing, i used to pf tek method. Its been about 3 weeks now and all of the sudden i just lost almost half my jars to this black mold, so i tossed them, i know the yield depends on strain and growing conditions, but what would a tipical flush from a mycobag produce(rough estimate)

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3673508 - 01/24/05 07:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i yielded a quarter from the first flush. second flush was pretty weak but that might be more my fault considering i didn't do any dunking. but you could always let the bag colonize completely then take your huge cake and prepare casings. you could probably get 2-3 decent sized casings off a bag.

sorry to hear about your shit getting contam'd. better luck next time, i'd say. mycobags are a good investment and you'll rarely have to deal with contams. just be sure to clean the injector disc and needle tip with some alcohol and no problems should arise. just be sure to break up the substrate inside the bag before inoculating. all the bags i've gotten, the substrate was condensed down pretty tight and i made the mistake of shooting it up in this condition. colonization was extremely slow. and be sure to break up the colonized mycelium when it's at 80%.

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3673791 - 01/24/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks alot.

--------------------

Offlinefirehelix
Stranger
    #3673859 - 01/24/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the info. soon i will be starting my own lil stealth grow. my plan is to use a mycobag with golden teacher, and the whole bag will be put into a 5 gallon bucket with prolly a half inch or so of steralized vermiculite and water on the bottom. any opinions / comments are greatly welcomed, plus, ill be sure to take pics as i go along.

Offlineclueless
justnew
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ANE
Re: opinion of mycobags. [Re: firehelix]
    #3673871 - 01/24/05 09:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

if you use the bags you don't need to humidify that way, the bag does that.

--------------------
I'm a rhinestone tiger in a leisure suit.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: opinion of mycobags. [Re: clueless]
    #3673986 - 01/24/05 09:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

"my plan is to use a mycobag with golden teacher, and the whole bag will be put into a 5 gallon bucket with prolly a half inch or so of sterilized vermiculite and water on the bottom. any opinions / comments are greatly welcomed, plus, ill be sure to take pics as i go along. "

well that really isn't necessary. you see the bag itself acts as a terranium. the filter patch located at the top of the bag is for the exchange of air and gas and since the bag is sealed it holds humidity quite well. a terranium isn't necessary unless you plan on ripping open the bag and either fruiting the cake as is or preparing casings. another thing, if you do plan on opening the bag and taking another path, then use perlite instead if verm. verm doesn't perform quite well in comparison with the perlite. the perlite works well because of the tiny porous holes and the humidity produced is very effective for keeping the Rh up. the trick is to not add too much water to the perlite.....just a 1/2". don't forget the hydrogen peroxide as well. and don't lay the cakes on top the perlite for the reason of water logging.

peace

OfflineK4Lic0
Salvianaut
Loc: North Carolina
    #3674166 - 01/24/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have one that I just started as my first grow, so far, so good.. and very easy..

Will post a report when I have harvested..

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
    #3674627 - 01/24/05 11:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I suppose it may be a little late now, but my mycobags were very difficult to get fully colonized. I allowed for enough colonization to take place, followed by crumbling, followed by shaking, and finally a lot of waiting.

I'd put my money towards starting in on some home made cakes.

--------------------

"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Offlinesk8boy712
Stranger
Re: opinion of mycobags. [Re: DrMambo]
    #15353191 - 11/11/11 01:04 AM (5 years, 25 days ago)

i was interested in getting a "madbag" from the madseason website..they say this bag is different from other mycobags bc this bag is designed to do everything... its not required to case the substrate..one can fruit in the bag as well.. whether this bag is really different than any of the other bags ive seen i dunno.. but on the website they have directions that tell you the simple procedures from inoculation to harvesting.. the only thing i noticed was they said to leave the bag "undisturbed" until its fully colonized.  As i have read in MANY threads, people have stated that mixing up the bag here and there while the mycelium is necessary to keep the mycelium growing the proper way... Which way do i go.. follow the website... or take the advice of the master growers here?  really not trying to be annoying, but i would like things to go the correct way.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation