Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HPS, Mylar Film, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Magic Crystal grow log.
    #3533493 - 12/22/04 11:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

December 20th/21st.

3 Magic Crystal sprouts are placed into pot(made from old cranberry juice bottles)
Soil mix Organic top soil, verm , kiln fired clay, are mixed together and some Cottenseed meal is added.

One seedling is already showing its first set of "true" leaves.

The plants are sitting under 45 watts of C-fluorescents(30watts=2000 lumens)

December 25th UPDATE:

3 out of 3 plants(seedlings) now have their first set of "true" leaves.

I noticed that one of the plants fell over(looks like its stem was almost broken) ........so I tucked it in, so to speak.

(I burried the stem very care, and left the top of the plant poking out)

So it should heal fine. :thumbup:

January 7th Update:

January 7th:

One magic crystal plant was killed when something sharp in the soil mix hurt the young stem.

As for the other 2.... well one is looking great , except for the smallest rust coloured spot on one of it broad, (first true) leaves)

And the other plant is worse, it has the rust spots on one broad leaf, close to the tip, while closer to the stem on the same leaf there is a slight yellowing, a little spot of yellow.(annd the leaf is curiling down a bit)
The other broad leaf of the same plant it has a dark spot close to the leaf tip(sort of an area where it gets really green, almost black green)

As with the Jacks Suprise x Afghanica Pics will be posted (however the pics were taken a couple of days ago)

(the only nutes that have been given to these (MC) plants = small doses of SuperthriveB1

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (01/07/05 10:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3534334 - 12/23/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ur plants will start too streatch soon if you dont get more light on them.. Get a hps system hooked up..

Whats your fertilizer plant? organic?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: Legoulash]
    #3534383 - 12/23/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I WANT to use HPS, but I have been VERY poor as of late.

My JSxA are under the same lights, and one of them streeched badly, while the other 3 remained normal.

Did I metion these plants are in the corner of a closet :tongue:

Anyway I hope to have an HPS after christmas, because then I will actually have some money I can spend.

I had always planned to use a HPS for flowering, but to be honest I thought the fluorescents would perform better for veg then they did, oh well, my seedling are alive, for now, thats what counts.

I know once I get a HPS bulb in there the veg growth will pick up.

My JSxA should have been bigger by now.

Plus its a little cold cold in there.

--------------------

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
    #3535016 - 12/23/04 08:25 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As Rah mentioned, you need much more light.
I don't mean to be rude, but CP-flurorescents will be a waste of your time...sure people have achieved decent yields under pure fluorescent systems but the W required to reach a suitable intensity thus yield

will probably:
1.) = a that of a HPS
2.) cost as much if not more (inc fixtures/bulbs etc)
3.) be outperformed to no end by the HPS

Light spectrum used with HPS is much more suited to plant growth e(Sp. in flower) compared with the fluorescent.

Quote:

I know once I get a HPS bulb in there the veg growth will pick up.

thats quite an understatement :smile:
--
EDIT: since you think you may get yourself a HPS after XMAS - hopefully they wont get themselves into to much mess before it arrives...could you put them outside? just for a month even.
good luck
just my 2c

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: Bolwarra]
    #3535351 - 12/23/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

floros are just fine for vegging plants. it's when flowering comes into play that an hps/mh is neccesary. the plants will only strech heavily, under floros, if they're far from the bulb. if they're right under the bulb they'll be fine. i actually prefer floros for vegging, mainly because they encourage bushy growth. post some pics if you can. i'd love to see what what "magic crystal" is all about.

"Light spectrum used with HPS is much more suited to plant growth e(Sp. in flower) compared with the fluorescent."

actually the spectrum of floroscent lights is pretty ideal for growing. it's the intensity and lumen output delivered by HID lights that's highly beneficial. since the resin glands are a defense mechanism from light intensity, the more lumens, the more potency.

peace and love :gonzo:

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3535424 - 12/23/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im a strong believer that floros should be paired with HID's but never replace them..

Infact I just saw a street pole that got knocked over last night.. Thatd be perfect.. (probley need to be changed to 120v).. Keep you eyes open they can be cheaper than a floro system if u dont mind red neckin it..

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3537039 - 12/23/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

WHOA WHOA, SLOW DOWN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am firm beliver in HID LAMPS :yesnod:

I am NOT a fluorescent grower, or a rubbermaid grower(mini grows ala' overgrow)

The reason they are under the fluorescents is because they are only in veg, well thats what I thought to myself "they are only in veg", but now I realize there is only so much a couple of little CFL's can do in the corner of a closet.

My JSxA should have been bigger by now.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3537060 - 12/23/04 09:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"floros are just fine for vegging plants. it's when flowering comes into play that an hps/mh is neccesary. the plants will only strech heavily, under floros, if they're far from the bulb. if they're right under the bulb they'll be fine."

While I totally appreciate your imput, and I agree with the above.

In my situation, 7 seedlings, tucked into the corner of the closet, with nothing really keeping the light on that side other then a cheap cardboard and tinfoil "wall" (homemade :tongue: )  the fluorescents are not giving me the results I want.

In a tighter space I am sure they would work better.(but soon I shouldnt have to worry)

--------------------

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
    #3537153 - 12/23/04 09:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"actually the spectrum of floroscent lights is pretty ideal for growing. it's the intensity and lumen output delivered by HID lights that's highly beneficial."

i agree fluoros will suppoet veg...but 45W c'mon that pushing it...HID's in particular HPS' have more light in the red part of the spectrum and as such is preferred for flowering, more so than the fluoros. in my opinion HPS for both veg/flower gives best results, some claim MH' with more light in the blue spectrum is superior to HPS for veg...im not sure if this was ever proven, but a HPS can will handle veg fine.

GL

"since the resin glands are a defense mechanism from light intensity, the more lumens, the more potency." i have heard people claim this before...i have never heard of or seen any published studies supporting this --> care to share your ref / link?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3537207 - 12/23/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I didnt claim that(the last quote), but as for the other comments I like you, belive that HPS is the best for both veg and flower.

I read (in askED) that HPS is better overall.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Magic Crystal grow log. *DELETED* [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #3537240 - 12/23/04 09:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by PsiloPsychic

Reason for deletion: .

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: ]
    #3538589 - 12/24/04 11:34 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

hps is better overall. though i was just stating that plants can grow just fine under floroscent conditions. though i may have missed the refrence to this...

"In my situation, 7 seedlings, tucked into the corner of the closet, with nothing really keeping the light on that side other then a cheap cardboard and tinfoil "wall" (homemade ) the fluorescents are not giving me the results I want."

my reccomendation is, until you get an hps, buy a 4' shoplight for the time being. set up the cfl's from the sides. definately a few cfl's won't give enough light necessary for 7 plants. you need to get a fixture or 2 for the time being. though i would work fast. the longer they are under poor lighting conditions, the more likely they are to stunted growth.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3541435 - 12/25/04 04:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Chritmas UPDATE :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #3541928 - 12/25/04 12:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You'll have no probs with fl lite if you keep the plants less than 6 inches from the bulb and keep it on 24/7 to keep the nodes tight. Even a little lite like you've got is fine for veg as long as you keep it adjustable.

As they get bigger and some leaves won't be so close to the lite, those leaves will turn yellow and fall off so remember each leaf must be within 6 inches for a fl lite.

I used the sea of green method for years using 2 little 15watt fl's in my veg chamber, plenty of mylar/tin foil on all sides. I had no probs with that set up but I think the ventilation fan helped alot.

Editted to make plain this post refers to veg stage only, not flower

Edited by wandrnshaman (12/25/04 01:49 PM)

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3544101 - 12/26/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the point is, yeah fluro lights will grow something but is it really worth the effort and risk and too most the anwser is no, especially with something so low as 45w.

bet you never had a forest in you grow chamber-

the tops look kinda scraggly from there but they're not, don't remember how far along that is but no more than 1 month flower with a mostly stativa.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: John]
    #3545539 - 12/26/04 10:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Those pics are from a flowering chamber, John. Like I said, I was referring to the vegetative chamber. I kept 1 mother plant and assorted clones in there. 1 15 watt cheapass wide spectrum kept a mother plant with as many as 75 shoots about the size of a basketball thru selective pruning for a couple of years, till I moved. Another 15 watt wide spectrum for the clones laid on top of their little terrarium(a clear dessert tray from Publix with the snap on lid).

My flowering chamber had 1 150 watt hps and 1 75 watt mh. Harvest with sea of green produced from 2 to 4oz/month, pure sativas. That was plenty for me. I never really tried to see how much I could grow. I just wanted to stay high, not get busted.

I don't see how those little lights in your pics are keeping those girls flowering...Is that right? You're budding those with those lights?? They may need more light hours to keep from being so spindly too. But if those are flowering and still that scraggly they need way more light wattage or more mylar. Either way ventilation will get those skinny colas to put on more weight.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #3551435 - 12/28/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

those got the size of my forearm, they thicken up. those pics are from early flowering before they filled to show more veg then flower growth i just didn't have pics of the veg stage other than seedlings. that first pic is running at 420w :wink: and the second is 560w, plenty for 3 plants. the room has plenty ventilation.  i've grown with small fluros before, here's a pic that's probably the same age as the other plants above. these were moved outside to flower because the fluros couldn't handle it like you said-

the diffrence should be pretty obvious. i don't really see the point in using such low wattage if you have a HID for flowering either but if it works it works, i just try to be more efficent for the risk/effort.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Re: Magic Crystal grow log. [Re: John]
    #3551761 - 12/28/04 08:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Efficiency and safety both equal using minimal space, especially for a closet grower. A small mother producing a few dozen clones a month ready to bud inside an area about 2 ft sq is about as efficient as it gets. 30 watts of fl light is easy on the pocketbook too, very efficient.

Working with clones and the sea of green grow method really masters the optimal use of space. By the time a clone roots, its ready to flower so instead of trying to grow a few big bulky plants you're working with many little easy to manage colas growing straight from the growing medium. 3 times the plant's height when it is forced to flower is the height it will be at harvest so a 6 inch clone develops into a fat 18 incher.

If  this dude's growing in closetspace he should employ sea of green. If he can move them outside like you did john then, sure...see how big you can get them with lots of light then move them outdoors in the sun. Just seems a little too risky for me.
:smile:

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#3554347 - 12/28/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I agree, and I will be growing small plants, infact, as small as possible, while keeping a good yeild.

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (12/28/04 10:10 PM)

Offlinepsilifun_guy
justahead
Loc: above water
    #3554478 - 12/28/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: HPS, Mylar Film, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden