Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Parents of student who died of overdose sue drug company
NEVADA, Iowa (AP) -- The parents of an Iowa State University student who died in his dorm room of an accidental drug overdose have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against a North Dakota chemical company.
Michael and Diana Babicz, of Palatine, Ill., filed the lawsuit in Story County District Court earlier this month. They claim LTK Research Products sold their son a potentially dangerous chemical over the Internet knowing the chemical was for human consumption.
Michael Babicz, 22, died in October, 2002, from an overdose of dextromethorphan, an ingredient found in cough medicine. He was found dead in his dorm room at Friley Hall.
Court records said dextromethorphan can be ingested as a recreational drug and can produce hallucinations similar to LSD or ecstasy.
The lawsuit claims the company sold dextromethorphan under the guise that it was selling to legitimate researchers.
Records show that Michael Babicz, a senior, purchased dextromethorphan powder on Sept. 9, 2002, from the Web site of LTK Research Products of Minot, N.D. His body was found on Oct. 10.