Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Hunter -Gatherer

Schools try new, quickie drug test
    #2418943 - 03/11/04 01:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The Miami Hearld
Posted on Sun, Mar. 07, 2004

Schools try new, quickie drug test Students in Palm Beach County suspected of using drugs are now subject to new drug testing that's done with a swab and an aerosol spray.

Administrators at all 23 county high schools are being trained to use the test whenever they have a ''reasonable suspicion'' that a student is using illegal drugs, said schools Police Chief Jim Kelly.The school district is one of 22 across the country, and the only one in Florida, taking part in a free trial program that puts the drug detection kits in schools.

It's supported by a $650,000 grant from the federal government's National Institute of Justice, Kelly said.To use the kits, administrators swab a small piece of chemically treated paper over students' hands or belongings and douse it with a spray.Within seconds, the paper changes colors to indicate the possible presence of marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamines.

District and school officials said they won't use the kits for any other reason than to alert parents to potential drug problems with their children.A positive result won't instigate a search, Kelly said.

All Boca Raton high schools and Atlantic High School in Delray Beach have the kits, and they're on their way to every district high school by the end of the year.

But the ACLU says the test is indiscriminate and violates students' privacy.''You really can't tell by looking at a student if he or she is on drugs,'' said local chairwoman Ruth Gottlieb. ``It's a judgment call.''

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Schools try new, quickie drug test [Re: Stipe]
    #2419361 - 03/11/04 03:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My prediction :: Eventually they'll test all the students on a weekly basis.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

It's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.

Don't be a fool, this is a war on drugs. Act like. The government sure does!

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Schools try new, quickie drug test [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #2420043 - 03/11/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ha, my high school (private) randomly HAIR tested every student at least one or two times over the course of the year. These tests went back at least 90 days. They even added a $60 fee to our tuition to pay for the tests. Bunch of fuckers. Many other private high schools in my area also began doing this after my school did. I'm so glad I'm out of there.

Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Schools try new, quickie drug test [Re: Stipe]
    #2424641 - 03/12/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm definately homeschooling my kids when the time comes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service