Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Preserving specimens in Casting resin
    #3209355 -

I would like to be able to preserve the most beautiful of my shrooms for display. Ideally I would like to use plastication techniques but have run into problems.
As soon as I immerse a shroom into a solvent preservative or a casting resin, it turns blue.
Can anybody who knows their chemistry help me out with tips on how to prevent this? Anyone who comes up with a solution will get a resin set shroom on a keyring.


--------------------
Use Popcorn Your shrooms will love you back!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3209379 -

ooo, that sounds good, i want me one of those.

wrong forum, so i'll move this.... somewhere.... but first, have you tried starting by selaing the outside with clear nailpolish / laquer, then continuing after this dries?


--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3209389 -

I don't think it will work with fresh shrooms...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3209392 -

May work with dried shrooms but...fresh?? I dunno 'bout that
:confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: shirley knott]
    #3209426 -

I wasn't sure of the best forum to post this question.
I'm just experimenting with different solutiont but to plasticise sucessfully I need to replace the water with acetone.
I'm also not sure of the lagality af this process. I'm destroying any chance of the shroom being used for a trip but would I be breaking the law if I gave them away as gifts?


--------------------
Use Popcorn Your shrooms will love you back!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3209591 -

Try a can of clear coat enamel finish something quick drying, spray it lightly on at first let it dry a bit then coat the sucker good let it get good ventalation so it dries quickly. Once the coat is dry i would think you might be able to do it.


--------------------
Remember..if the women don't find ya handsome,they should atleast find ya handy!


I do what i can with what i don't have!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3211775 -

Jonno said:
I'm destroying any chance of the shroom being used for a trip but would I be breaking the law if I gave them away as gifts?



Well, I would have to say it would still be illegal. While the mushrooms are not really in a form that would be good for consumption, you are still distributing a controlled substance in one form or another...

Then there is still the subject of manufacturing a controlled substance...


Sounds really cool though. I would love to have a huge cubensis on display on my coffee table...


--------------------
To give is to live...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3212569 -

freezedry then resin???

freeze drying will preserve the outside perfectly but eliminate all moisture. Some flower places freeze dry so it prolly wouldnt be that expensive of an experiment. I dunno...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3212650 -

Spraying down the mushrooms with a dilute solution of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will usually prevent them from turning blue and will even turn blue ones back to their normal color.

Otherwise you might try acidifing your plastic solution or solvents with a little HCl(red devil lye) or H2SO4 (sulphuric acid).

Hopefully this will work because I'd love a little shroom keychain.


-FF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3213215 -

usualy, if you dry them with dessicant over the course of 3 days, the shape will remain somewhat in tact. Fan drying is what shrinks them, Use LOTS of dessicant in a small sealed container, and get the mushroom as close as possible to it, try building a wall on the sides with dessicant. use smaller one's as experiments, and i think abhorts/pins would be coolest ya know? i've had this same idea for quite some time, but havent gotten around to doing it.


--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: Jonno]
    #3215928 -

bump.  me wants to read more :smile:


--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving specimens in Casting resin [Re: kadakuda]
    #3231804 -

Isn't lye a heavy base, not an acid? I think you meant "Muriatic" acid (HCl) such as for pools and cleaning concrete.

But I'm thinking that might screw up the resin. An ascorbic spraying or dip may protect them enough while the resin sets up. Is this an epoxy style (2-part) resin?


--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* - Highly Infectious Atypical Pneumonia -
( 1 2 all )
geokillsA 4,729 32 06/07/03 11:46 PM
by geokills
* Yeah resin!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
minesstudent 6,460 86 01/14/09 12:10 PM
by DrugsRbadMkay
* when resin fights back!
( 1 2 all )
Nuggetpouch 4,210 22 10/12/09 06:27 PM
by SleepyF0x
* Ascorbic acid as a cutting agent? You Agree 782 5 11/25/10 11:25 PM
by 4runner
* Do you smoke pot resin?
( 1 2 3 all )
SRHooM 8,217 56 07/07/09 04:13 PM
by ThirdEyeOpening
* Hate to love resin...
( 1 2 all )
Slave of Cthuluh 3,132 23 04/17/08 07:32 PM
by vetsinspandex
* resin and alcohol? mikeisapro 1,027 11 07/08/09 02:14 PM
by mikeisapro
* Holy balls of resin batman!
( 1 2 all )
iluan 3,952 28 03/20/06 09:11 PM
by Adom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,096 topic views. 4 members, 75 guests and 200 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.