Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
So you can't spot reduce?
    #3222295 - 10/06/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If I wanted to get rid of my love handles - it's pretty much impossible to spot reduce it right? I always hear two sides to this.

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: Delyrium]
    #3222332 - 10/06/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Get one of those body wraps....

--------------------

OfflineKidShelleen
watch thesensations
    #3222437 - 10/06/04 01:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

In general, you can't spot reduce. For example, doing situps will not selectively remove fat from your abs. However, there is some evidence that fat stored in different parts of the body has different combinations of receptors that trigger the release of fatty acids and certain substances will selectively stimulate one kind of receptor over another. For example, women often have one type of receptor predominating in fat stored around butt and legs while fat stored elsewhere has different receptors predominating. My recollection is that yohimbine selectively stimulates the receptors in the fat tissues that accumulates around the legs and butt in women. It might be worth a try. But be careful - it's a pretty strong stimulant and I think it is also a bit of an MAOI.

KS

--------------------
"Who would be free themselves must strike the blow" -Lord Byron

OfflineKidShelleen
watch thesensations
    #3222502 - 10/06/04 01:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I should also add that if you stopped using the substance that caused the selective fat loss, any fat you later gained would probably go back to where you lost it from first. In other words, if you wanted to keep the spot reduction (assuming it is even possible) you would need to avoid ANY fat gain at all.

Another thing you might consider - you CAN change your body proportions to some extent by exercising to build larger muscle (weight training) where you want there to be more of you, and exercising to build smaller muscle (aerobics) where you want there to be less of you. However, it is typically difficult for women to build much muscle mass. It's a hormone thing.

KS

--------------------
"Who would be free themselves must strike the blow" -Lord Byron

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
    #3223353 - 10/06/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Delyrium said:
If I wanted to get rid of my love handles - it's pretty much impossible to spot reduce it right? I always hear two sides to this.

It is impossible to stop reduce. Do HIIT cardio and check your diet (no fat, no sugar, cut the bread, eat more protein ...).

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: KidShelleen]
    #3223520 - 10/06/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This was some very good advice! Lifting heavy weight for fewer reps builds large muscles where as lifting light weights for many reps and doing aerobics makes smaller tighter muscles.

I've also read how there are different types of fat in your body, and the torso fats (like love handles or the little pooch that girls get) is one of the last places you lose it, which is a survival thing. I've also read that not only do you need to be happy and healthy and eating well, but you have to get lots of sleep (read as about 9 hours) a night to lose that fat!

This is horrible old advice, but I'd recommend jogging or quick walking. That will get rid of all the fat :smile:

:goodluck:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Invisibleadrug

#3224409 - 10/06/04 09:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why can't you just be happy with yourself?

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3224416 - 10/06/04 09:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Find out what's killing you, the calories, carbs, whatever. Eliminate those or cut them down.

You should join a gym with a decent cardio program. You'll shed those stubborn pounds in no time, especially if you're not already consistantly working out. Consistancy is KEY!

Look at me, I've got like 2% body fat, heh... I'm regularly active. It kind of sucks because I'm actually trying to gain a few more lbs. Good luck. :smile:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: browndustin]
    #3224527 - 10/06/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i'm not sure what the exact definition of "spot reduce" is, but i'm guessing it has something to do with losing fat in a targeted area (in your case, the love handles)..?

if that's what spot reducing is, then i have some advice for you:

if you don't mind using 'fad diets', i recommend the south beach diet. it's in the same kinda vein as the atkins diet is, except you can actually eat carbs. just not the empty carbs, like white bread and potatoes..

the SB diet somehow specifically targets the stomach fat first, and actually gets rid of it. i know this not just by reading about it, but from experience. in the first 2 weeks (the hardest two weeks of the diet), you will lose 8-13 pounds of fat (this is called "phase 1"), most of which will fall right off your waistline. some people will chime in and say that it's not healthy to lose that much so fast, etc, but i don't think it really does much harm, since you only do it for two weeks, then the weight loss slows down significantly. you'll still lose 1-2 pounds a week after that, when you switch to "phase 2" (and you can start eating carbs again).. once you're down to the weight you want, you go to 'phase 3' which is barely a diet at all, you just have to watch what you're eating and stay away from certain foods. and if you totally mess it up and gain a bunch of weight back, just go back to the first phase for a couple weeks and it'll come back off :smile:

this diet worked for me (my whole family decided to go on it so i kinda got stuck with it, since my mother cooked the majority of dinners), but now that i've moved out and it's been a couple months i'm starting to gain it back.. the diet requires a good amount of food preparation/cooking, and it's almost all vegetables and lean meats, with limited (but delicious) other foods (sweets, grains), and it actually does work. i lost 8 pounds after the first 2 weeks were up, then started cheating pretty bad and only lost a pound every two weeks or so (while on phase 2), but i'm sure if you stuck to it it'd work wonders :thumbup:

the author of the south beach diet won a bunch of awards and his book was a bestseller this summer, so it shouldn't be hard to find out info about it!

good luck del :heart:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: lukeboots]
    #3224817 - 10/06/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You cannot spot reduce at all.

That being said, individuals lose and gain fat in certain areas according to genetic factors. Also, men gain fat on the waist and upperbody, while females gain fat on the hips/thighs. You cannot change any of this because when your body uses fat as fuel it burns it in a pre-disposed manner.

johnnywax, the reason that fat came off of your waistline is because that is where males gain/lose fat the easiest, it had nothing to do with your specific diet.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: So you can't spot reduce? *DELETED* [Re: looner2]
    #3224903 - 10/06/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by jonnywax

Reason for deletion: ~~

--------------------

OfflineWolfe3001
journeyman

Loc: Calgary
    #3226412 - 10/07/04 07:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Do you really need 9 hours of sleep a night to lose weight?

--------------------
They are in love. Fuck the War.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: Wolfe3001]
    #3229151 - 10/07/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You don't need to sleep that much, the whole sleep thing is totally debatable and you'll hear a million things.

Generally, it's better to sleep rather than loaf around and watch tv. You burn a lot more calories. Too much sleep's bad though. 9 hours seems like a little much for me, but to each his own.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: browndustin]
    #3235900 - 10/09/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with adrug on this one. if you ask me, judging from some of the pictures you have posted of yourself, you have nothing to worry about regarding weight/fat. Plus, love handles on girls(within reason) can be pretty damn attractive.

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: Twister]
    #3237060 - 10/09/04 07:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ya, you're fine, Del, just keep your skirt a little loose when you have the corset on!
:wink:

Exercise and diet is important for all of us though.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: looner2]
    #3238673 - 10/10/04 10:12 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:[/b

johnnywax, the reason that fat came off of your waistline is because that is where males gain/lose fat the easiest, it had nothing to do with your specific diet.

Hey LoOnER, how's it going mang? I'd like to throw my devalued canadian .02 in here: I just stripped off all the fat from my midsection, went from @ 170 to 150 lbs in a matter of weeks. In order to do this I:started a daily intense cardio regimen of one hour and a half(sometimes i do this 2X a day cauz i love it, it's just like dancing when you have the right tunes playing :smile: )plus i eliminated all high glycemic index carbs such as white rice, potatoes, noodles and pasta etc.

A GR8 way to keep slim and trim around the middle is to eat primarily from the best and healthiest lady cook this planet has ever known, Mother Nature. Yup that's right, mom was right, eat your fruit and veggies, try to eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day to stabilize your blood sugar levels....drink a lot of water. Nothing really new here but it's simple and it WORKS :smile:

PS: Try and keep fast food to a minimum, that stuff isn't really very healthy, not just as far as hampering your efforts to stay lean and trim but for a crapload of other reasons too complex to go into here  :tongue:

If eating meat, try and keep it to skinless chicken and/or fish so you're getting your essential omega 3 acids :smile:Try not to combine protein and carbohydrates at the same meal(this is a common food combination with the SAD diet, they call it that for a reason)An example of this would be meat and potatoes, these 2 combined are digested very slowly an I believe it is all this sitting around in your stomach and intestines that may be why eating red meat has been linked to cancer. I'm not saying this as a tautology, merely as a possibility  :smile:

Final note: always eat your fruit on an empty stomach as it is the fastest food to digest and assimilate nutrients, if you combine it with other food(another common mistake made by those that adhere to the SAD diet)everything get bogged down again, you want your food in you and out of you fairly quickly, once you have derived the nutritional benefits it serves no purpose and may even be detrimental to your health to have it sitting around

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3238719 - 10/10/04 10:40 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Other random advice: Try an make a habit of preparing your own salad dressing for use at home or to take along with you when you go to a restaurant to eat, i like to mix apple cider vinnegar wqith a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and spices. Once a waitress saw me pull out my small bottle of home made salad dressing and she was like: "what's wrong, isn't our salad dressing good enough for you"? And she was really bitchy about it too, so i said: "No, there's nothing wrong with your salad dressings, i just don't like consuming vast quantities of fat" and that shut her right the fuck up :grin:

Also: Try to not overdo it with salty food and snacks as a high sodium content encourages the retenion of water. Hmmmm les see here, oh yes: Try not to drink anything wih your meals, once again i realize it is common practise for people to have some beverages while eating, you can either eat like everyone else(the majority at least) or you can eat smart, the choice is really a no brainer(i specialize in those :grin:) as far as I am concerned but cultural conditioning and programming seems to over ride common sense a lot of the times. Drinking anything 2o minutes to half an hour B4 or after meals hampers the proper digestion and assimilation of the nutrients in the food you are eating which leads us to......

This is kind of obvious but: When you do eat, try and make a point of being sure there ARE some real vitamins and/or minerals in it, try and stay away from processed foods, all processed foods if possible. Most of that stuff on the shelves of your local grocery store isn't really very healthy to consume :frown:

When you are going to eat a fairly substantial meal(i only have one a day, in the evenings)try an make a habit of eating your veggies first as they stimulate the secretion of vital stomach enzymes which aid in the digestive process

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: So you can't spot reduce? [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3238983 - 10/10/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, thats the stuff i was talkin' about freakq :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

#3239541 - 10/10/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
yeah, thats the stuff i was talkin' about freakq :cool:

Happy to have been of assistance my friend. I find that being/staying slim and trim are more results of my chosen lifestyle as opposed to a goal. Live right, eat right, get the proper amount of excersise and you'll be young 4ever, i gurarantee it. One last thing though. Doing some weight bearing excercise such as lifting weights(light weights with more reps are cool, you don't have to be a grunt monkey to do this)is good as the GR8er the muscle to fat ratio your body is the more efficiently it will burn calories :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being