Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepegasus
Woods Walker
Loc: Wisconsin
Big Ugly Bolete
    #3215489 - 10/04/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This Bolete was found in Northeastern, Wi. Trees are jack pine and popple. The bolete is 10" tall. The cap is a rusty brown, pores are off white and the flesh is very thick, white, and bruises grey. The cap is about 3" thick. The stem is 7" long, solid, firm and almost fibrous. It is off white with brown, small scales. There does not seem to be any odor. What kind of bolete is this? Is it edible?

This mushroom even has an ugly smile!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Big Ugly Bolete [Re: pegasus]
    #3215809 - 10/04/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's one of the many species of Leccinum. Most Leccinums are edible, but there is at least one mildly poisonous species in North America.

Try cutting it in half vertically, scraping the inside with your knife edge, then watching the color changes. Most Leccinums will change first to one color, then to another. We need to know what all the colors are.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepegasus
Woods Walker
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Big Ugly Bolete [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3215880 - 10/04/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The first wedge I cut has stayed a very pale brown. I cut it in half and it also remains only pale brown. However, at the base I noticed that it is a pale blue green and it is bruising a blue green at the base, where I cut it.

I thought this might be one of the Leccinum varieties. After cutting it and reading the description in the field guide, do you think it could be Leccinum scabrum?

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #3215937 - 10/04/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This mushroom even has an ugly smile!!

Look at that Sea Turtle!

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
    #3215982 - 10/04/04 09:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like he has a hair lip. shure is uuugly!

I've been thinking about Boletes. They are all around me when I'm out hunting and I usually pass them by. I ate them a few years ago. Other than the King Bolete...they have been just...alright.

Anyone snag them whenever they can or do you pass them by too? Any great wasy to prepare them??? I've been wondering if I have been missing something about them.

Cool pics of your ugly Boletes!

Enjoy!
L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder