Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Friends left puzzling over man's suicide
    #3137925 - 09/15/04 09:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002035713_nguyen15m.html

Friends left puzzling over man's suicide

By Erik Lacitis
Seattle Times staff reporter

David Nguyen shot himself to death on Sunday.

"It's been a hard thing to swallow. David was not a guy who agreed with suicide," Nick Lazo said about one of his best friends, David Nguyen, 26, who turned a gun on himself Sunday night.
Lazo couldn't grab onto a good reason for what happened. "He was such a spiritual guy," he said of his friend.

It was a scene that neighbors will long remember. By the time the tragedy was over in Lake City, at least 20 to 30 officers, including a SWAT team and police negotiators, had swarmed around the three-story apartment building near a busy intersection at Northeast 125th Street, and about 15 residents had been evacuated.

For hours an officer used a loudspeaker to try to talk to Nguyen, and eventually tear gas was fired three times into the apartment. But when the SWAT team charged into the apartment at 5:30 a.m. Monday, the team found Nguyen had shot himself to death hours earlier.

Nguyen died around 10:30 p.m. Sunday, when the first responding officers heard a single gunshot. About 20 minutes earlier, neighbors had reported hearing four or five gunshots coming from the apartment.

The King County medical examiner yesterday confirmed Nguyen's death was suicide and said he died of a single shot to the head.

What Nguyen's family and friends know is that he had been a teenage gang member in Orange County, California. He had been traumatized by the shooting deaths of two older gang members he'd looked up to. An aunt he was close to had been shot dead in a police confrontation. As a boy, he had watched his mother die of breast cancer when she was in her mid-20s.

Lazo said Nguyen also sometimes used hallucinogenic mushrooms and may have consumed some that day.

Kenny Patton, 23, was Nguyen's roommate in the apartment in the 3300 block of Northeast 125th Street. He said that when Nguyen arrived home Sunday night, things didn't seem right.

"He was his usual energetic self, but talking to him, I couldn't understand what he was saying," Patton said. "He was mumbling. His eyes were almost closed. He looked very tired in the face. Something in me told me I should leave."

So Patton left. He later returned and watched the police incident unfold.

About six years ago, Nguyen told his grandfather Ed Hammer that he wanted to break away from gang influences in California and come live with him for a time in Port Angeles.

Hammer said the two got along but didn't talk much about personal matters. Nguyen was interested in historical stories that his grandfather told him. Nguyen had told Hammer that he was planning to go to Port Angeles to help him paint his house.

Hammer said his grandson had gotten vocational training as a medical assistant. He had worked full time and on temporary jobs at various hospitals. But he was out of work again.

"Without a permanent job and rent always due, this upset David, but I did not realize his state of despair," Hammer said.

Nguyen's father, Dzung Nguyen, a machinist in Tustin, Calif., said he hadn't heard from his son in months. He said he had no idea what might have prompted his son's suicide.

Nguyen's friends said they were trying to arrange some kind of memorial, and they expected perhaps five to 10 people would show up.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Friends left puzzling over man's suicide [Re: motaman]
    #3137973 - 09/15/04 09:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Rest in peace David.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3138948 - 09/15/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
Lazo said Nguyen also sometimes used hallucinogenic mushrooms and may have consumed some that day.

just because his buddy said he occasionally eats them, and he looked like shit and was depressed when he came home, automatically means he ate them earlier? hmm...

besides, it doesnt sound like this guy was very mentally stable and had dealt with quite a bit in his life.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3144336 - 09/16/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

was he a shroomerite?

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service