Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
    #3017517 - 08/18/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"Damn shame about that concert."

Yes, Larry. A Damn Shame, and thanks for putting it so tersely, so poetically, so perfectly completely. A Damn Shame.

Ani and I ripped the batty a few times and went to meet Lucy, my better (and way prettier) half outside where she works. We hoisted our tents and sleeping bags on our backs and trudged to the subway through the light rain, caught a train at Grand Central, and slept in Lucy's house.
It was a gentle sleep, in a nice country home, with a lovable little Shih-Tzu dog named Gizmo, Lucy's wonderful parents, home cookin', and a comfortable, warm place to sleep. We woke up the next day, and attended to the first order of business:
Get Stoned and Get Dunkin' Donuts.
We took off driving - a five and a half hour trip that would take us through NY, CT, MA, and finally VT - a gorgeous drive, to be sure. It's great watching the landscape change, how the world has a different personality depending on its latitude and longitude, it's place in space and time. Great times, great tunes, great road trip with great people. AWesome! Right? Right. Right?
Five and a half hours of smooth sailing, 80+ MPH with no problems down multiple freeways, and then
5:20 P.M. Thursday Afternoon We Hit Traffic
Boom
STOP!
This is it.
The line goes on forever.
Sit, and watch it grow forever behind you, like the endless tail of some dumb beheaded animal.
For 40 hours we sat there.
In 40 hours, we moved: 1.5 miles. 1.5 miles!
Everyone int he cars all around us for miles and miles (20 miles behind, 15 miles ahead), were getting wasted, getting stoned, getting whatever they could, and it was madness. The right lane and the shoulder of this two-lane highway were completely filled with Phishhead cars. When we got there, the line was still just the right lane...it was right after we got into the right lane that people started filling up the shoulder - we were so pissed, everyone was, but anyway, we stayed in the right lane and just waited patiently. Maybe if we'd gunned into the shoulder from where we were, we would have seen Phish's last concert.
But alas, it was not meant to be.
After two nights of sleeping in this already ridiculously cramped and packed car, we woke up the final morning in a delirium. It was Saturday morning, and all of our dazedness, our fatigue, our fucking dementia was held together by this idea that wow, it's 8:00 AM and Phish goes on at 5:00 PM so I will be able to get in.
But, as I'm sure you've read, there had also been heavier rains in that area then there had been since 1906. Which led to the flooding, and the mud.
And at 9:30 AM, after forty hours and ten minutes, they said, we're sorry, but you have to turn around. Mike Gordon said it on the radio, and he sounded sad, and we immediately did what everyone else was doing.
We backed our car into the grass beside the highway and tried to calm down and plan for a 15 mile hike to the grounds.
By the way, when this happened, we were at the .5 mile mark from the exit - the exit was the cutoff point that stated who had to turn around. SO FRUSTRATING.
And what was more frustrating was that we couldn't do it - I mean, it;'s my girlfriend's parents car, and beyond even that, we just weren't prpeared to make that decision, to just ditch the car, our only way of getting back to NY, by the side of some random highway in Vermont?
So we turned around and drove to a nearby Rest Stop to find out if Lucy's brother had gotten on his plane to Burlington - he had a VIP Parking Pass and could have gotten us in with his car if we could only get in touch with him.

But he didn't even fly up, because the VIP road was completely sunken, flooded, done for, and they had advised him things were looking glum.
So after a lot of agonizing, we turned around.
We put the new Modest Mouse album on the radio, and it was a really bittersweet ride back to New York. We spent the weekend getting ripped on the half-ounce we'd bought for camping but now had at our disposal in the comfort of a warm house. We played with the dog. We came back to the city, got a really good dinner.
And man, I'm just so disappointed.
And how is it that I'm reading all these reports that 60K people got in? It sounds absolutely impossible to me. 20 miles of cars lined up two by two behind us addds up to thousands of people, thousands, and not all of those people parked their cars and walked to the venue.
Then I found out that on sunday that after a while Phish/Great Northeast Productions had set up a shuttle service that was taking people to the Coventry site...you should have been there, though, when they told us to go home. They pretty much made it sound like, that's it, we can't get you in, we can't let any more people in and we're sorry but you have to go home.
And they teased us bad when they said the band would definitely refund the tickets OR otherwise try to make it up somehow.
And then yesterday the post on Phish's News section of their site pops up, this bland message about how to obtain refunds. Not even an apology or some acknowledgment that the people who missed out really got screwed. Some asshole on Phantasy Tour had the gall to tell me I wasn't a dedicated enough fan since I didn't make it in, but if anything I was listening to the band's wishes and trying not to contribute to a goddamn mess.
I'm pretty sour about the whole ordeal now. Definitely cried about it twice when just laying in bed thinking about the act of seeing Phish.
And tonight my friend Smilky's coming in to the city and he's gonna tell us all about it - he made it in, said it was raw and muddy.

Tonight's gonna be an awesome psychedelic show though - The Music play at the Bowery Ballroom. In Britain they have a jamband type of following where people tape all their shows and travel all around the UK with them, but it hasn't translated over to this side of the lake yet..but if you're in NYC, check it out.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #3017522 - 08/18/04 09:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:frown: 

My friends left when told then tried to return later and where able to get in.

Fucken rain :frown:.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Male

Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: baraka]
    #3017524 - 08/18/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

We had nowhere to go, really, we didn't know what to do at all, so we didn't have anywhere to wait to try and go in later. It hurt just sitting in a parking lot the little we did, listening to Phish's radio station talking about all "the excitement backstage." So we just turned around and drove and drove and drove...especially once we heard her brother didn't even think it was possible to get in - he's seen like 130 shows and was the last person anyone expected to give up.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3017525 - 08/18/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The end of the hippy era is looming.

Male

Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: Barbi]
    #3017528 - 08/18/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A big problem were the cutters...the left lane had to remain open for thru traffic and you'd keep seeing Phish cars go by and it was like "Well what the fuck, you're obviously going ahead to cut into line!!" cause there was nowhere else to go..

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #3017534 - 08/18/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to hear that man. What a bummer.

And to Phish, I don't know what they are supposed to do but we all know a fucking refund isn't fixing anything.

Male

Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: Adom]
    #3017547 - 08/18/04 09:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

S'all right man, I'll bounce back.
And yeah, the money means jack shit to me. Johnny (Lucy's brother) was talking about how they had originally booked MSG for three nights at Halloween and how they should do that for all the people with unripped tickets, and yeah, that would be great, but even then, what I wanted more than anything was to be removed from the rest of the world and in a complete Phish-zone, camping and all...and that's not gonna happen again, so I don't think they'll do anything again.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3017550 - 08/18/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:sad: :sad: :sad: :heart: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm sooooooo sorry, onemorerobot! Hopefully they WILL do something to make up for it. :heart:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Male

Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #3017554 - 08/18/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:flowers:  Hopefully.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #3017557 - 08/18/04 09:45 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think they'll do anything again either. I thought for a second they would but I don't think it'll ever happen again. I can't believe it ended this way.

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3017560 - 08/18/04 09:47 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I can't either. I'm actually still pretty mad that they didn't do anything out here. Dammit!

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Male

#3017568 - 08/18/04 09:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I definitely want to hear the performances, most people seem in agreement about Trey being rather fucked up...I bet Split Open and Melt into the "blowing off steam" Jam must have been amazing, that hurt the most to see. That and 2001. Sigh.
What WAS cool though was that while we were sitting in traffic they broadcast the Camden show live, and that was an amazing concert.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #3017582 - 08/18/04 09:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If I were to plan a festival as big as Phishs final show I think I would pick somewere that doesn't get rainfall in the summer. I understand the Vermont connection and finishing there, but damn.
That sucks. :frown:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Male

Re: Coventry (or) The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly [Re: chinacat72]
    #3017592 - 08/18/04 09:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It was the heaviest rainfall they've recieved in 100 years, but regardless of where and when, the weather should always be a concern, and when you're parking on a muddy field you should have someplace solid reserved just in case...it was liek they had no backup plan whatsoever.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #3017607 - 08/18/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thats why I would go for the SW.
At least they didn'y have it in Florida. :stoned:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Male

#3017616 - 08/18/04 10:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ain't that the truth!

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

#3017853 - 08/18/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I paid a guy $25 to park in his yard in Newport. It was a 3 mile hike uphill to the site.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3019697 - 08/18/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

damn i'm sorry to hear that! :sad:

--------------------

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3020672 - 08/18/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

chinacat72 said:
Thats why I would go for the SW.
At least they didn'y have it in Florida. :stoned:

No place is safe.  Last weekend 2 people died in a flash flood that swept through a campground in Death Valley, California (a place that averages about 1/4 inch of rain each year!)

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
    #3023701 - 08/19/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

sorry bro.. i know you've been looking forward to this for a while now.
sucks real bad that you didnt get in. maybe next time! oh wait... :sad:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom