Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Looking for some dating advice please :) * 1
    #29604960 -

Hi

So. I'm wanting some dating advice or specifically whether you think it's okay for me to ask someone out in a funny way

I've met my old friend from high school twice this year (twice in 6 months). We weren't in the same friend group back then but we used to catch the bus together and share chats on the way to school in the last two years of high school. Both times it's been unplanned and we don't have mutual friends. When we have bumped into each other to me it feels very easy talking to him, and we have a shared interest in psychedelic mushrooms. He's playing at a festival later this year I was saying I'd be interested to go and that I would see him there if I do. To me it seemed like the interest was reciprocal (I have no clue romantic or friendly though), but I am also kinda shit at actually understanding social conventions (I am autistic fyi).

I met him once at a festival and then went to one of his gigs at a nearby pub. That was the two times this year. Oh and I'm 31 so high school was forever ago

He's really nice and I would like to ask him out but I'd also just like to hang out with him.

I don't have his number, and I don't have Facebook anymore or any other socials. I was tossing up the idea of making a Facebook account and finding him on it (we were mutual friends on Facebook until last year) and saying something along the lines of
"Hey it was cool catching up with you. I like your energy and would like to see if you wanna go foraging one day with me? I deleted Facebook a while ago and didn't ask for your number on Friday so that's why I'm messaging you in this weird way. Hope that's ok!"

Is that weird? I'm worried it's weird. I don't mind being odd and doing things unconventionally, but I wouldn't want him to be weirded out.

Anyway any advice appreciated thanks :smile:


--------------------

Edited by ellamush (06/15/26 11:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush] * 1
    #29604985 -

not weird either way ... but i don't feel you need to explain yourself

"do ya wanna go foraging with me" should be enough

the recipient will most likely infer the rest

of course it was cool catching up and of course you like his energy

that's why you're proposing a date

i'm certainly in no position to give relationship advice but that's my 2 cents coz you seem like a really nice person based on your contributions to this website

ps stop overthinking (said the pot to the kettle ;-)

pps use fb/social media temporarily for this specific purpose and then delete/avoid it again

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: johnnyc]
    #29605005 -

Thank you :smile:
Yes I agree with the overexplainging and I had a thought that I think I'm just looking for advice because I'm anxious, not because it's necessarily a bad thing to do


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush] * 1
    #29605438 -

Okay I did it :smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush]
    #29606258 -

Did it go well?


--------------------
The better guide to grow mushrooms.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Beware the power of one.  The power of two. The power of many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush]
    #29606268 -

ellamush said:
Hi

So. I'm wanting some dating advice or specifically whether you think it's okay for me to ask someone out in a funny way

I've met my old friend from high school twice this year (twice in 6 months). We weren't in the same friend group back then but we used to catch the bus together and share chats on the way to school in the last two years of high school. Both times it's been unplanned and we don't have mutual friends. When we have bumped into each other to me it feels very easy talking to him, and we have a shared interest in psychedelic mushrooms. He's playing at a festival later this year I was saying I'd be interested to go and that I would see him there if I do. To me it seemed like the interest was reciprocal (I have no clue romantic or friendly though), but I am also kinda shit at actually understanding social conventions (I am autistic fyi).

I met him once at a festival and then went to one of his gigs at a nearby pub. That was the two times this year. Oh and I'm 31 so high school was forever ago

He's really nice and I would like to ask him out but I'd also just like to hang out with him.

I don't have his number, and I don't have Facebook anymore or any other socials. I was tossing up the idea of making a Facebook account and finding him on it (we were mutual friends on Facebook until last year) and saying something along the lines of
"Hey it was cool catching up with you. I like your energy and would like to see if you wanna go foraging one day with me? I deleted Facebook a while ago and didn't ask for your number on Friday so that's why I'm messaging you in this weird way. Hope that's ok!"

Is that weird? I'm worried it's weird. I don't mind being odd and doing things unconventionally, but I wouldn't want him to be weirded out.

Anyway any advice appreciated thanks :smile:



I WISH a girl would do something like this for me. I would think it's sweet. We miss 100 percent of the shots we don't take. Go for it, let us know how it goes!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: winzlo7]
    #29606284 -

Thank you  everyone

He hasn't responded yet.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush]
    #29607094 -

Im guessing by "funny" you meant an odd way, as in a woman asking out a man?

I was expecting like a humorous situation, which are usually positive, as long as its not too embarassing for either person involved.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #29607096 -

LogicaL Chaos said:
Im guessing by "funny" you meant an odd way, as in a woman asking out a man?

I was expecting like a humorous situation, which are usually positive, as long as its not too embarassing for either person involved.



I meant it as in "weird" and not because it was woman asking man out. Because it was me redownloading Facebook for the sole purpose of messaging him. I was worried it looked a little stalkery. But I suppose it's literally the opposite of stalker. I haven't looked at his profile in a year and that was only BC we were Facebook friends at the time.

I figure it's a genuine act of me asking him to do something enjoyable. It's not pushy and it was related to what we talked about in person. So it was okay to do :smile:

I just get nervous and worry they'll say no. Which after thinking about it, that's absolutely something that could happen and who cares if it does?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush] * 1
    #29607097 -

In other words: as usual I'm overthinking it all.

Haha just had a chat with a good friend over phone and I was giving her advice about being direct and assertive and to not apologise for setting boundaries AND YET I second guess things like the above in my own life regarding assertive requests

She also gave ME excellent advice a month ago while doubting herself tonight.

We are our own worst enemies


--------------------

Edited by ellamush (06/19/26 02:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush]
    #29607100 -

Understood 😌

Self-doubt is always tough in romantic settings, fear of rejection and all that. It takes courage to take chances with love and romance 🙂

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #29607102 -

I agree.

I think it's because when we ask someone out or hope for something and then it's not reciprocated we tend to think it as "rejection". It's not rejection, it's a rejected offer. No one is obliged to take us up on an offer and it's not as personal as we think. It's more about that person's preference than it is about us not being good enough.

I would always hope they I can say no and have that answer respected and not be demonised by someone for saying no. However I am not always good at not taking it personally


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for some dating advice please :) [Re: ellamush]
    #29607104 -

Also trying too hard at being perfect is not good. No such thing as perfection. It's unattainable. Just leads to misery when you don't do something the way you hoped.

If you aim for good enough then you can reframe a failure as part of life.

Anyway my musing for the day


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Has anyone dated an Afghan, Persian or Iranian female? Or are you one yourself? *DELETED* Warrk 140 4 06/17/26 01:52 AM
by Northerner
* Married and hypersexual.
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 441 21 07/06/26 03:42 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Shroomism, automan, yogabunny, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
176 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 15 queries.