Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, San Pedro, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Drug legally sold on street
    #2884600 - 07/13/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/11899320?source=Evening%20Standard

Drug legally sold on street
By Rebecca Mowling, Evening Standard Crime Reporter, And Rob Mcneil
12 July 2004
It has been used by native Americans for centuries. But now the dangerous hallucinogenic peyote cactus is being sold in London - and the trade is legal.

The effects are similar to LSD; it alters perception and it can last for about 12 hours.

But police are powerless to stop its sale. It is not illegal to sell the cactus in Britain and, over recent months, several outlets in Camden Town have sprung up to cater for customers.

Peyote only becomes an illegal Class A drug when it has been prepared for use as a hallucinogenic. Today, a drugs information charity warned against peyote because of its potential harm.

A DrugScope spokesman said: " People should be aware that although peyote comes from a natural source it is not a herbal high that should be underestimated.

"The drug is a strong hallucinogenic and people with mental health problems or who suspect they may have mental health problems should steer well clear."

On the stalls of Camden Market, peyote is being sold in trays alongside San Pedro - another type of hallucinogenic cactus - and a bewildering array of mushrooms.

On one stall, a woman sold our reporter a mature peyote cactus, in flower, for ?30.

When asked what to do with the plant she explained how to prepare it for consumption but warned that it was "very, very strong" and that it was not pleasant.

On a stall a few paces away, a whole tray of smaller peyote plants was on sale, again for ?30 a plant.

The young man who ran the stall explained: "It's all totally legal - for the time being.

"The problem is that too many people are selling it at the moment, so the police are probably going to crack down at some point.

"The peyote is really strong - like powerful LSD - but it's so bitter to taste that most people throw it up straight away. There are loads of ways of taking it ... but be careful with it man, it's heavy s***."

A Metropolitan police spokeswoman told the Standard: "We are not aware of peyote for sale in Camden but we will be looking into it."

Peyote has hallucinogenic properties because it contains large quantities of mescaline, a powerful mind- altering chemical. Until recently it was only found in central Mexico and southern Texas.

Peyote can take five to 15 years to reach maturity and is no more than five inches in diameter. The top of the cactus consists of disc-shaped " buttons".

It is illegal in most other countries including the US - except for a group

of native Americans who are permitted to use the drug for religious reasons in traditional ceremonies.

Singer Jim Morrison of The Doors was one of a number of musicians who experimented with peyote during the Sixties and early Seventies.

His use of the psychedelic drug was dramatised in a scene from the Oliver Stone film about the group, in which Morrison and the band go into the Californian desert high on peyote.

In 1953, psychiatrist Dr Humphry Osmond administered mescalin, derived from cactus, to English novelist Aldous Huxley, an episode described in his cult book The Doors Of Perception (1954).

The Doors took their name from Huxley's book.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Drug legally sold on street [Re: Anno]
    #2885513 - 07/13/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not at all suprised about any of the comments made in this article.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2885786 - 07/13/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm always annoyed by articles that write as if they expect the reader to believe the drug should be illegal. It's such a large assumption based on people's lack of understanding of drug laws, that anything that's psychoactive should be banned unless it's alcohol or tobacco. Boo.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
Re: Drug legally sold on street [Re: Twirling]
    #2886110 - 07/13/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They're probably getting bored with reporting about places selling shrooms as it's old news now, so have moved to the next thing. It'll be "Dangerous DMT containing plants on sale" next and then something else after that..
I'm sure the police love wasting time looking into places selling legal plants because some clueless journalist has been on their case about them.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2890165 - 07/14/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Seems like a slightly low price.....

Someone must've been growing these badboys for a WHILE.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Drug legally sold on street [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2891181 - 07/14/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

>>"very, very strong" and that it was not pleasant.

Oh yeah............

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Drug legally sold on street [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2891222 - 07/14/04 09:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Randolph Carter said:
Seems like a slightly low price.....

Someone must've been growing these badboys for a WHILE.

nto really a low price. in london they use pounds which are like 2 usd to 1 lb. so 50 60 bucks for one cactis isnt that cheap. and theses days with grafting. you could get a whole wack of large buttons in as littel as a few months

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2891245 - 07/14/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

'Caffine pills sold in stores'

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley, San Pedro, The Doors

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service