Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs
    #1946119 - 09/23/03 11:18 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030923/hl_nm/health_drugs_un_dc

UN Sounds Alarm Over 'Brain-Killing' Drugs
Tue Sep 23,11:34 AM ET

By James Crawford

ROME (Reuters) - Party drugs like Ecstasy and amphetamines have overtaken heroin and cocaine as the fastest-growing global narcotics menace, the United Nations (news - web sites) said on Tuesday.

In a report unveiled in Italy, the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime estimated more than 40 million people around the world had taken synthetic drugs in the last year, more than the combined number of cocaine and heroin users.

"These are terrifying narcotics because they are subtle -- they kill the brain rather than the heart," said Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the Vienna-based body.

"I call these drugs the 'public enemy number one'...Youngsters just don't know the risks they run," he told Reuters in an interview.

Ecstasy abuse spiraled by 70 percent and amphetamines, such as speed, by 40 percent between 1995 and 2001. By contrast, cocaine and heroin abuse worldwide grew less than 1 percent each.

The Netherlands is the largest Ecstasy producer, accounting for 23 percent of laboratory seizures in 2000-2001, the report said. Abuse is highest in East and Southeast Asia, in countries such as Thailand, followed by Europe and Australia.

Costa said organized crime groups had flooded into the synthetic drugs industry, which is worth around $65 billion a year with profit margins upwards of 3,000 percent.

"Why buy cocaine from Colombia or heroin from Afghanistan (news - web sites) and transport it via sea and air and across borders when you can just make synthetic drugs across the street?" he said.

DANGER BY STEALTH

The report showed that seizures of amphetamine-type stimulants had risen to 40 tons in 2000-2001 from four tons in 1990-1991. Costa said these were an accurate indicator of growing consumption, and blamed the rise on huge misconceptions about the risks of synthetic drugs.

Since the global anti-AIDS (news - web sites) push of the 1990s, drug users have seen heroin as a dirty, dangerous narcotic and turned to "cleaner," synthetic options they think are safer, Costa said.

"The problem is that few people die from using synthetic drugs. There are no scary headlines of people dying of overdoses. Instead, there is a slow mental deterioration -- danger by stealth."

Amphetamines cause dependence and psychosis, while Ecstasy may speed up the aging process and the onset of Alzheimer-type symptoms, the organization said.

Costa said synthetic drugs were seen as an almost acceptable feature of a party culture.

"The setting isn't in the dark alleys and needles of heroin use, it's in the disco," he said.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: Twirling]
    #1947217 - 09/24/03 09:47 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

> while Ecstasy may speed up the aging process and the onset of Alzheimer-type symptoms, the organization said.

Yep... and Ecstasy may cure cancer and blindness. Notice that they prepend a negative fact about amphetamines and then lead into a negative opinion about ecstasy.

> The problem is that few people die from using synthetic drugs.

So why is it illegal again if few people die?

> Instead, there is a slow mental deterioration.

Ah yes... that is why we see all these 'brain dead x-heads' everywhere. I wondered why there were so many about these days...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: Twirling]
    #1947228 - 09/24/03 09:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"The problem is that few people die from using synthetic drugs. There are no scary headlines of people dying of overdoses. Instead, there is a slow mental deterioration -- danger by stealth."

hrmm... the fact that people aren't dying is a problem? That is a fairly new concept to me.... some might call it.. WRONG!

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: Seuss]
    #1947713 - 09/24/03 01:45 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, I see plenty. Are you sure you're looking?

X really does (in abuse) lead to mental deterioration, it's very noticeable too.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: Raadt]
    #1948096 - 09/24/03 03:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

> X really does (in abuse) lead to mental deterioration, it's very noticeable too.

Is it perm or temp?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: Raadt]
    #1948154 - 09/24/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So does alcohol. Don't abuse stuff.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: UN Sounds Alarm Over Brain-Killing Drugs [Re: cybrbeast]
    #1952096 - 09/25/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Why do they keep fighting :frown:
It is so hopeless...they can never win, but we must always hide :frown: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service