Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Yellow/Amber Droplets
    #2842200 - 06/30/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have searched the forums and found several possible answers to this question, but none that seemed quite right. So I'm going to go ahead and ask it.

I'm relatively new to cultivation and have only fruited a few casings. My latests round is KS grown on popcorn inncocultated with the Karo tek. The initial run was cased save for a jar that was saved for grain to grain. The grain to grain worked beautifully aside from the near complete lack of rhizomorphic growth. However after over a month in the fruiting chamber all the casings (4 of them) are showing the same behaivor, the show little or no rhizomorphic growth (only lumpy mycelial growth on the surface) and after 3-4 weeks develop no pins but the begin to get little amber/yellow droplets appearing on the exposed mycelia, some of the droplets seem like waste product. But others are solid to some degree (ie. solid enough not to be blottable with a tissue).

Could this combined with the lack of fruiting indicate some kind of contaminant? Is this waste? If it waste I have to assume my fruiting conditions are wrong, however I duplicated the conditions that led to success with the same setup with other strains in the past. I have not seen this before. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? When the droplets first appear, they look almost like pinheads unless you look very closely with a flashlight.

I'm stumped, when it happened in once I assumed it was my conditions, now that it happening with every casing from this batch of transfers I don't know.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVAST
Stranger
Re: Yellow/Amber Droplets [Re: agentjrr]
    #2845753 - 07/01/04 02:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have the same problem, and I think it is because the mycellium is textured, that the droplets seem to begin colonizing the cake a little bit below the surface sometimes, which makes it hard to blot off.. or cut .. either.. arg hey? i know the feeling.. and i think it comes down to tapping off all the water on the lids, but then they could catch more contaminant in the air while doing that too.. so i dunno.. i say catch the droplets right away and blot them off.. it's the only way.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2851337 - 07/02/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Most probably that's just mycelium piss or waste. It looks like you're trying to pin those casings for some time.
Did you use a top layer ?
If you did, the casing might be ongoing through an overlay phase, which makes pinning a bit harder to achieve.
Anyway, i think your problem is meeting the right pinning parameters: Rh, temperature and lightning. Fan, fan, fan !

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Yellow/Amber Droplets [Re: MAIA]
    #2853053 - 07/03/04 03:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The top layers are straight verm on half the casings, and 60/40 on the other half. The 60/40 I've had a hell of a time with overlaying, drying out, and pulling away from the sides. Though I can see the advantages over straight verm.

The round I posted about overlayed badly (insufficient air exchange and too much humidity, my fault entirely) and contaminated after scratching. These casings are newer (2.5-3 weeks in the fruiting chamber) made from the same batch of jars.

Whats really bothering me is that in many cases, they develop what look like primordia, but instead of continuing to grow into pins, the develop these little droplets on the top. Fruiting conditions should be good. I removed the perlite because it was keeping the humidity way to high, and just misting has proved to keep it comfortably in the 90%-95% range. Temps are stable between 73-77F. I fan at least twice a day and I added a dual outlet air pump with inline filters on a timer, to help add fresh air during the work day (I'm frequently gone from the house 12-16 hours a day). Light is diffuse sunlight, or full spectrum artificial on cloudy days.

I just can't see what I'm doing wrong. The additional air has not seemed to help. Temperature is monitored inside and out by multiple min/max thermometers. The Hygrometer could be off, but if anything it is low and only off by 5% or so on comparison to other instruments which should be accurate. I do agree that it must be a problem with my conditions, unless the problem is the mycelia (Grain to Grain from a har innoculated with the Karo tek) which I doubt. I just can't figure out what I'm doing differently from the past when I had success. The only thing I can think of is that these are a strain I haven't tried before. But the parameters shouldn't be radically different between the varieties of Cubensis right?

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2860698 - 07/06/04 06:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

the parameters shouldn't be radically different between the varieties of Cubensis right?

That's right but there are little details which can be crucial sometimes. Maybe you should try cold shocking the casings.
Have you try it ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Yellow/Amber Droplets [Re: MAIA]
    #2861746 - 07/06/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

All these were cold shocked for close to 24 hours. I did it as a precaution because the first casings from this batch of jars would not stop colonizing.

I'll have pictures to post when I find the cable for the camera. If I'm still not having any luck I'll post to them to the cultivation forum.

Offlineblueferret
some guy

Loc: cow town
    #3046492 - 08/25/04 12:06 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

my casing is doing this right now. Did you ever get yours to pin ? and what did you do? I have had mine in the fruiting chamber for 2 weeks and in the last few days it has started this amber droplet thing. the casing is very overlayed I tryed scrathing and puting an other layer on top and it just overlayed again . I am very frustrated.

Offlineagentjrr
student
Re: Yellow/Amber Droplets [Re: blueferret]
    #3047086 - 08/25/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

No, it never pinned. All I can think of is that I had some factor such as RH% wrong. The casing went for about 6 weeks and only showed further vegetative growth. The other thing I know I did wrong in the batch where this happened was keeping the casings too wet. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum