Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
"Poision-check" trick for mushrooms - true or false?
    #2838647 - 06/29/04 03:08 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so I was telling my mom about the time my hand blew up when I took too many shrooms. She told me about the time I went in the forest as a kid and ate too many "bad shrooms" and went to the hospital trippin, and got my stomach pumped.

Anyway - then she went on to tell me about how they used to check for edibility in mushrooms.

Keep in mind my mom has never touched drugs, nothing. Ever. She's clean as a whistle and when I talk about her checking fresh shrooms, it's only for true "dinner-purpose".

So - here is her secret:

They would take the shrooms, put them in a pot of water and boil it with SILVER. Yup, silver. Take a half-dollar...a REAL one, with silver. And - if the silver turns black - it's poisonous. Otherwise, it's ok to eat.

I can't wait to hear the responses. PLEASE - is it true? Or false?

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

FALSE... [Re: Grizzy]
    #2838672 - 06/29/04 03:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

False. The statement is too broad, and thus there's no way it could apply to all dangerous shrooms.

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: "Poision-check" trick for mushrooms - true or false? [Re: Grizzy]
    #2838695 - 06/29/04 04:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've heard of it before..
always wrote it off as an old
wives tale....?????

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: FALSE... [Re: suboriginal]
    #2838965 - 06/29/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder what mushrooms or toxins this test WOULD work for. . .

OfflineRusty
The lonemushroomer

Loc: Texas
Re: FALSE... [Re: Grizzy]
    #2838979 - 06/29/04 08:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

One question, how did your hand blow up from too many shrooms?

--------------------
The eagle may soar, but the weasel never gets sucked up into a jet intake.

OfflineGrizzy

Re: FALSE... [Re: Rusty]
    #2839672 - 06/29/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, first of all - maybe I should have stated this right off the bat - I have a brain and I can think for myself. As a matter of fact, I am very intelligent and would prefer for others to not "think" for me. When I ask this question, I'm not asking for OPINIONS - as I am not short of them in my own head. I ask folks to chime in that KNOW.

You see, suboriginal, you say "It's too broad, therefore". Well, that means you do not KNOW, and you only THINK. Thanks, but no thanks. Your logic is flawed, friend, and I'll tell you why. HEAR THIS: To cure hiccups, you only need to plug your ears and drink a glass of water through a straw.
<-- Too broad, therefore not true?
<-- Old wives tale, therefore not true?

I'll bet you it will never fail. Try it and see. I guarentee results 100% of the time, with that hiccup trick.

So - THEREFORE - sometimes, old wives tales and things that are "broad" surely CAN, IN FACT, be TRUE.

Next - nofindum - if you heard of it before, then perhaps there may something to it. Perhaps not. Either way, I refuse to write it off so easily. At least not without some serious experiments. Perhaps I will conduct it myself - but I need to get my hands on a bunch of poisionous shrooms. Any leads?

And Rusty - This was over a month ago. I went nuts one night, and ate way too much. Well, at first I was cool, in the perfect zone(after eating anywhere from 3-5 grams). Then, I went overload and ate a bunch more. A handful, when I was already FAR GONE. Probably around 8-10 grams total. Holy smokes. My hands got big. Stay-puff marshmallow style. I was very concerned that I was having an allergic reaction and so I woke up my wife. Out of a sober sleep, she woke up, looked at my hands, and freaked out. Started crying, asking me if I'm going to die, wanting to call 911. Oh boy. What a nightmare. Scary stuff, man... I thought I'd be deformed for life. Freaked me out. But luckily, next morning I was back to normal. Since that night, I've been afraid to REALLY shroom. Since that night, I've shroomed about 15 times, but never more than 2 grams. I'm still scared...until I learn more about what happened. Allergy? Who knows. Nobody can tell me. No doctors here, and I refuse to talk to a doctor in person and identify myself. Too paranoid about cops, ya know...

Cheers
Seek the truth.

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2839728 - 06/29/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The actual culprit behind turning a silver coin black when boiled in water is "Hydrogen sulfide"!
Back before "city water",we had well water,and a common ingredient in well water is Hydrogen sulfide!

THIS "WIVES TALE" IS EXACTLY THAT-----A WIVES TALE!!!

COMPLETELY FALSE!!!!!!

Rotten egg odor from both hot and cold water pipes. Copper and silver turn black in the water. Iron, steel, or copper parts of pumps, pipes, and fixtures corroded. Black stains on laundry and porcelain. Black particles in water. Hydrogen sulfide, sulfur/sulfate reducing bacteria. Compounds such as iron sulfide, calcium sulfide, and sodium sulfide can interfere with hydrogen sulfide removal so multiple treatments may be required. Appropriate treatments include chlorination or aeration followed by filtration through a sand filter

Taken from here VVVVV

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001201-d001300/d001240/d001240.html

Obviously you are not as educated as you say,if you were,you would have used this VVVV

http://www.google.com/

Sorry to bust your bubble,but we have enough rumors floating around here without your help!

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2839729 - 06/29/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

maybe its just that boiling mushrooms boils out most of the poisons, and that wouldnt work for all mushrooms but people in france eat false morels and boletes and stuff that can be poisonous and/or deadly poisonous... maybe someone was boiling a mushroom in the old days and started a myth of it. who knows who cares. it doesnt apply to a.phalloids or the destroying angel. i wouldn't test it ever. good luck and stay safe.
and remember, theres no sure way of telling if a mushroom is poisonous or edible without proper identification.

SoD

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: FALSE... [Re: CptnGarden]
    #2841383 - 06/29/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If you have a university near you you can view and read Valentia and R. Gordon Wasson's "Mushrooms, Russia and History." This i the book which began all of the psychedleic drug us and covers all of the original myth regardig pioionous mushrooms. The original story involved putting a silver coin or silver on a mushroom cap and if the silver tarnished than the mushroom was poisonous..

There are old mushrooms hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters.

The above is, as stated by many here and before here, an old wives tale.

mj

OfflineGrizzy

Re: FALSE... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2845389 - 06/30/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Doc - CHILL. At no point in time did state this was a FACT!! DID I????? NOPE.

I ASKED <<----- that's the whole point of this site, RIGHT?????

I asked. You answered well, better than the first. I thank you for that, and that's where my thanks ends. I don't need the attitude, as I was not trying to "sell" the idea, but simply VERIFY it for myself. (Not through someone telling me that they THINK, but rather like your post, with education.)

As for your insult about my education... OUT OF LINE. Education level has nothing to do with spending 2 hours searching google vs. posting here in 5 minutes to get REAL feedback. I CHOSE this pursuit for it's streamlined yield of a vast array of knowledge. I wasn't making it a huge project to pursue on the net.

And lastly---
"Sorry to bust your bubble,but we have enough rumors floating around here without your help!"

#1: No bubble to bust, pal.
#2: No rumors have ever been put out by me, EVER in my life.
#3: You can count on my help for anything, anytime.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2845399 - 06/30/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Uhh, lets take it down a few notches, eh?

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #2845838 - 07/01/04 01:00 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Grizzy - everyone here is trying to help you, mate... take it easy and be thankful that we have a message board with such experienced and knowledgeable people on it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag